hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Web Hosting Main Forums : Hosting Security and Technology : Is our host having tech trouble--or money trouble?

Forum Jump

Is our host having tech trouble--or money trouble?

Reply Post New Thread In Hosting Security and Technology Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-14-2007, 12:41 PM

Exclamation

Is our host having tech trouble--or money trouble?

Folks,
I'm seeking help on behalf of some site owners--including me-- to see if our host is experiencing technical problems, or if they're in financial collapse.
Since 5 PM Sat., many sites hosted by powerfulhosting.com of Santa Monica have gone dead, mostly on NS01.POWERFULHOSTING.COM and some on NS1.IOCUS.COM They include:

chandarawestla.com
peggypotter.com
countrysidepet.com
robertpaulgalleries.com
cameraleather.com
goeastern.com
roastyourown.com

and many more. Over the weekend, tech help claimed the problems were assocaited with an "upgrade" to a new server. As the site owners started talking to each other, and the outage grew into the work week, Powerful Hosting stopped responding to inquiries, even from longtime clients. Their phone mailboxes are full and silent.

Now, I'm not an administrator or even a very quick FTPer, but these stores have burned to the ground and there are are livelihoods on the line. Can anyone in this community find any evidence suggesting a geniune technical glitch on their servers? A couple of people in our group think maybe they can't pay a server bill, in which case we all need to bail out immediately.

I'm sorry if this is the wrong place for this posting, but we are desperate!

Thanks,
SPjunior

Sponsored Links
Old 02-14-2007, 12:48 PM
Security Ninja

Their server does appear to be up... have you tried connecting to cPanel?

http://69.36.5.197/cpanel

Old 02-14-2007, 01:17 PM

Thanks, Pat . . .

Yes, we can get into cPanel and that's about it. We can't send or receive mail with our domain names; all mail is from "powerhostingusa.com" which seems to be newly issued . . . the sites are all still down.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-14-2007, 03:34 PM
Junior Guru Wannabe

This sounds more like a DNS issue if thats the case. Have you tried logging into your accounts by http://69.36.5.197/~username? If they had not paid their colo or dedicated server bill, the server would have been turned off and you wouldnt even be able to get into cPanel (unless they have moved that set block of IP's to point at another server).

If you can get into your account by http://69.36.5.197/~username, then the issue is most likely a dns or resolver issue.

Regardless, log into cpanel and try make backups of everything quickly as you dont know how long the server will remain up. If they dont get the issue resolved quickly its time to move on to another company.

Partial proceeds from all shared hosting first payments go to a Charity of your choice!

Old 02-15-2007, 10:49 PM

Well, some of the sites are back up, but apparently "Powerful Hosting" didn't back anything up . . . my site is a Sept 2006 snapshot, and my sister's site is "under development" . . . I suppose they are trying to find some nice pictures to go with a Google cache . . . unbelievable.

Thanks for the responses.

Old 02-16-2007, 04:21 AM
Just me

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPjunior
Well, some of the sites are back up, but apparently "Powerful Hosting" didn't back anything up . . . my site is a Sept 2006 snapshot, and my sister's site is "under development" . . . I suppose they are trying to find some nice pictures to go with a Google cache . . . unbelievable.

Thanks for the responses.
Backups are ALWAYS ultimately the USER'S responsibility. At the end of the day if YOU value your data, you will back it up yourself, not wait for your host to do so. Yes, many hosts offer "backups", but many of those don't actually, actively TEST those backups out, or verify that they are problem free.

Related posts from TheWhir.com
Title Type Date Posted
Layered Tech to Launch Federal Cloud Platform to Serve Government Agencies Web Hosting News 2014-07-17 10:20:15
Online Tech Awards Two $1,000 Scholarships to University of Michigan Students Web Hosting News 2013-01-22 17:42:49
Online Tech Adds Redundancy at the Executive Level with Co-CEO Structure Web Hosting News 2013-01-09 13:39:28
Web Host Layered Technologies Names Vice President of Client Services Web Hosting News 2012-10-10 15:59:05
Web Host Online Tech Now Offers PCI Compliant Cloud Hosting Web Hosting News 2012-09-05 15:19:26