Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

SSL certificates

Hey there -

Does anybody have any recommendations on who is best to go with for SSL certs these days in terms of pricing and simplicity?

I was going to go with Thawte, despite the fact that they were absorbed by Verisign. But, now that they have sent out a notice of rather substantial across-the-board price increases, I can see that they are truly adopting Verisign's personality.

Anybody know anything about GeoSecure?

Any input would be appreciated.

Mike

i have used geosecure and they are pretty good.
    i ahve also used instantssl.com and they are really cheap but they are a little harder to install.

Pretty hard to leave out the instant ssl GeoTrust certs offered by RackShack fo 49 bucks.
    There is no best host. There is only the host that's best for you.

ssl4less.com is my recommendation. Great prices and the certs are high quality GeoTrust Truesight, which are a bit better than the QuickSSL certificates.
    <!-- boo! -->

Thanx so much for the recommendations, which seem to be rather consistent. Are these certs of the 128-bit variety?

Are any of you resellers for ssl4less?

And is the process the same where the host must generate the ..... um er - so many acronyms floating around my head - where is this one when I need it - OSR request?

Thanx.

Mike

PlanetDigita is a user here who operates ssl4less. When I ordered through them I had my certificate in less than 3 hours.

I may be wrong, but I don't think they have resellers.

Oh, to answer your questions:

What you need is a CSR, the Certificate Signing Request which you have to generate (and never lose it!). I think GeoTrust has information on their site for how you do this depending on your web server. If you are running within a control panel of some sort then chances are you'll be able to generate your CSR from there.
    <!-- boo! -->

Hello again -

Does anybody know where I can find browser compatibility info on various vendors' SSL certs?

Also, has anybody used Comodo, which uses the brand name InstantSSL? Their site is at www.instantssl.com

Thanks.

Mike

I would go for www.ssl4less.com they have great service and support. . And when you faxed the info to them, you get your cert within a few hours (atleast I did).

I've purchased SSL certs through www.ssl4less.com and the process was smooth and quick! Highly recommended!

Don't choose certs from Verisign or Comodo if possible, they are irresponsible companies. I would choose geotrust or entrust based certs. Entrust certs I believe is available from some opensrs resellers.

I agree on Verisign 100% - I'm wondering what issue you have with Comodo? Can you be more specific?

Also, my main concern is browser compatibility, and I cannot find any detailed info on this for the certs through ssl4less. Can anybody point me in the right direction?

Mike

comdo is crap

verisign are pigs but the name is the industry standar

geotrust is good and affordable really quick setup time

thawte and geotrust with the seal same nonsense, get a biz colonoscopy from both and same price....

go geotrust for a buck

dos centavos

el_g

I would suggest http://certs.ipsca.com . The price on their 6 months free cert is unbeatable. Regular certs are $69/2years.
    Web-cp: an open source control panel: http://www.web-cp.net

The SSL certs from Rackshack are probably the best as GeoTrust are moving up the market, they seem to be the fastest growing SSL cert company at the moment. I would say from the top it'll be Verisign, Thawte and then GeoTrust... I'm sure others would agree with me here. In addition, the automatic setup at Rackshack means it literally only takes a few minutes to get the SSL cert, from purchasing it to installing and using it.

Alan
    Alan Ho
    Former Systems Administrator

Never heard of them. what kind of cert are they supplying? Or are they a cert(root) owner?

Originally posted by lbeachmike
    I agree on Verisign 100% - I'm wondering what issue you have with Comodo?
    Unrepentant spammers. and the owner is, in my opinion, an unmitigated creep.

-Bob

i have a geotrust true business id
    Nick Twaddell
    WebSpace Solutions - Custom E-Solutions
    Fast, Reliable, Affordable Web Hosting

Is there such a thing a free SSL certs?

self signed SSL certs
    Nick Twaddell
    WebSpace Solutions - Custom E-Solutions
    Fast, Reliable, Affordable Web Hosting

Id go with http://ssl4less.com I have had nothing but good experiences with the company, and their prices are great. Highly recommended.
    Chris Miller
    PromoPunch
    Custom Imprinted Promotional Products
    www.promopunch.com 1-800-750-8530 x221

ssl4less say: "98% browser capability".

Which browsers are missing? Anyone know the details?
    Dedicated Servers cPanel Shared/Reseller Hosting
    VPS Backups Cloud Colocation Managed Services
    Webx Networks Serving world wide since 1997

If you look in the browsers -- you will see The Equifax Roots -- we own them as we were Equifax Secure. We just pulled the business out of Equifax and gave it a cool name -- GeoTrust

Nice to see the CEO of GeoTrust at WHT , welcome.

Alan
    Alan Ho
    Former Systems Administrator

I read this board everyday..... I really want some feedback on how we can make things better....

Thanks for the welcome

Originally posted by GeoTrustCEO
    I read this board everyday..... I really want some feedback on how we can make things better....

Thanks for the welcome
    Don't raise your prices like you are doing.
    Chris Miller
    PromoPunch

Chris -- I have not raised prices in a while -- have kept the QuickSSL price down at $119......

I do not see a need for a price raise.......

We also just launched some new resellers pages and lowered are pricing there..

I meant "our" pricing

I really want some feedback on how we can make things better....

Its SSL, its kinda hard to improve it

From the certs I've installed, prolly 98% have been from GeoTrust and not one problem...

Chris -- I have not raised prices in a while -- have kept the QuickSSL price down at $119......

I guess I was thinking of the true business ID's. I wasn't quite sure of the difference, I guess I better go read up on them.

Also, I know this is not the place for this, but I had ordered 2 certs from you guys, and needed them reissued because of misplacing the original KEYS. I sent 2 emails to [email protected] requesting this over a week ago, and have yet to receive a response. I know I only have 7 days, so I wanted to get this taken care of.

Thanks
    Chris Miller
    PromoPunch

Hey guys - thanks for all the great info -

This is my first time obtaining an SSL cert.

Can somebody clarify for me the following that are required for the CSR - I am going through a hosting company, so I'm not doing this directly, but having the host issue the CSR ....

There is mention of a challenge password as well as a PEM passphrase. Which one am I to be providing to the host, and what is the purpose of each?

Also, the e-mail address that is provided for the cert - is that used for any purpose other than the issuing of the cert? Will it appear anyplace that an end-user would lookup or try to contact the company through? I simply need to determine which e-mail address is most appropriate for me to provide.

Finally - there is a request for company name and division. If I have a web services company with Company Name, and then I'm using a DBA name (filed with the state) for this particular site, would I be best using the Company Name for Company Name, and the DBA name as the division? Or should I just be using the DBA name as the company name and is the "division" optional?

Thanks for any and all help and excuse my inexperience with SSLs.

Mike

Basically, all field are optional (exept the common name, but I'm not even sure about that). Place a dot ( . ) if you don't want to enter it. Also, you shouldn't use passphrases because apache will pop up a window in a console where the host should enter them. I personally wouldn't do that (as a host).
    Web-cp: an open source control panel: http://www.web-cp.net

Chris -- I will make sure it is taken care of..... if you have any problems let me know...

Neal

I am not going to post my current pricing here, but your new prices for reseller have gone up quite a bit.

So what do you mean you have lowered the prices for resellers??

Originally posted by Gyrbo
    I would suggest http://certs.ipsca.com . The price on their 6 months free cert is unbeatable. Regular certs are $69/2years.
    These guys are offering a 1 year cert for $38. Is this the real deal or something not worth buying?

We have not had pay as you go pricing in a little while -- we required at least a purchase of 5 certs minimum to get the $99 price.... now you can get it without the 5 pack ---- also, you will see the reseller pricing drop on other packs in the next week.

If you look at our history -- I believe that we have been very fair on pricing.... keeping it below the Thawte price (now well below)..... I think we have a good tradition on our price points for being fair...

A while ago -- when our technology was not as far a long we took a more aggressive pricing stance. I feel pretty comfortable where we are now....

We are trying to get the resellers very good deals and if the market thinks we are out of line --- I am willing to listen.

Neal

Watch out, because there are more and more crazed people out there trying to get their cyber hadns on a credit card. I'd double check everything if I were you.

Originally posted by priyadi
    Don't choose certs from Verisign or Comodo if possible, they are irresponsible companies. I would choose geotrust or entrust based certs. Entrust certs I believe is available from some opensrs resellers.
    I am curious as to why you say this. Would you care to elaborate on your comments?

Tracy Phillips

Just a note to everybody with thanks for the excellent recommendation. Service from Tracy at SSL4Less was outstanding, and there are very few companies which offer such a high level of service these days.

Additionally, I was impressed with the efficiency of Geotrust - particularly since they were able to use my online DOS Corporation Record as suitable proof of identity after an inquiry to support. The certificate was issued quite promptly - above my expectations.

Constructive input is that the online Department of State lookup should be listed as a suitable option formally through Geotrust in the interest of further efficiency, since it provides the very same information that would be provided through a fax. In fact, it is less likely to be forged.

Thanks again.

Mike

Thanks, I just try to do what is right.

Tracy Phillips

Ok -- I think we need to continue to make the vetting more automated... we keep working on that.

The more automated.. the better for the customer with less chance for error. Thanks for the feedback.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast