Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Review: FDCservers.net

I recently ordered a server with FDCservers.net. Here are my comments about them so far.

Petr was nice, he does seem very busy though. It seems like is running this alone.

The ordering process is not secure. They have an SSL form but once submitted it appers like it sends a plain text email to them. Ridiculous.

Asked for slackware linux and it took a few days for him to tell me he could not install it because of hardware compatibilities. He then installed RedHat. Both RedHat and Slack runs a similar linux kernel, and are compatible with the same hardware, so I doubt slackware wasn't compatible but most probably a little harder to install. I did not care much because as soon as I got access to the box I installed my favorite linux distro (Gentoo) remotely and it is running just fine.

The speed is awesome. About 4 times faster than my server I have at tera-byte.com. I am on the "standard" bandwidth plan with un-metered 100 mbps full duplex connection.

The box has a SiS 630 chipset and a Realtek 8139 based NIC. Quite cheap parts but for the price they charge, it's nice.

They also put in a Celeron 1.2 ghz instead of a 1 ghz. Thanks!

If you do not need much support, know what you are doing and looking for inexpensive servers with lots of bandwidth, they should be near the top your list.

would you please tell me how much totally did you pay for your first month bill?!

gentoo r0x
    Jason

I ordered:
    Standard bandwidth (99$/month)
    + 512 MB RAM upgrade
    + 2 x 40 GB hard disk upgrade

The total was $477 for 3 months.

I too am a satisfied FDCservers customer. I started out with an AMD Duron 1 GHZ on one of the shared 10 MBIT ports, but when I prepayed for 6 months they upgraded the processor for free to an Athlon XP 1700+ and moved me to one of the 100 MBIT ports with no extra charge.

Believe it or not, as I signed up before they raised their pricing, I'm only paying $79 a month for all of this. I have payed for ram upgrades to 512 MB, and the fees for this have been most reasonable. Hardware upgrades are all one time fees, which is great.

When I asked Petr about the email signup form, he assured me it was fully secure, though I am still slightly concerned about this, but I haven't seen any weird charges on my credit card, so that's all good

As far as I can tell Petr handles sales and most of the contact with the customers by himself, but he has techs in the datacenter taking care of the servers etc. I don't mind this as you're constantly talking to Petr and only Petr so you build up some trust between each other. I know from experience techs are on site 24/7 as I needed an OS restore due to a faulty rpm during the Chicago nighttime. It was done within 2 or 3 hours. OS restores are free, so at least you can do something terribly wrong without paying for it

yea i ordered a low end server via someone else so hopefully it will work

Tazzman, I am happy to hear this. I was afraid I would have to wait for many hours if I ever had to get serious help.

I like the way they handle their business, they give you a lot for your money.

So anyone pushing more than 400 GB on one of those $99 boxes, or more than 2000 GB on the $399 box?

They'd be interesting for me only if I can get bandwidth remarkably cheaper than at rackshack, like for $0.20/GB on the small boxes or $0.15 and less per GB with the $399 server.

Originally posted by Erich
    So anyone pushing more than 400 GB on one of those $99 boxes, or more than 2000 GB on the $399 box?

They'd be interesting for me only if I can get bandwidth remarkably cheaper than at rackshack, like for $0.20/GB on the small boxes or $0.15 and less per GB with the $399 server.
    If you want need lots of traffic, fdcservers or something like 10mbits congent is the way to go, if you need abit more quality, 300gb isn't a worse amount.

I did not care much because as soon as I got access to the box I installed my favorite linux distro (Gentoo) remotely and it is running just fine.
    How can you install a distro remotely?

I've used FDCservers.net, for the price the service is great. I agree that it seems Petr is the only one working as some basic stuff took quiet a longer time than I expected, like getting IPs etc. Overall, i'd recommend them to anyone who needs an affordable high-traffic solution.

hehe, a few people asked me how I managed to install a distro remotely.

I had 2 hard drive, so I used the runnin RedHat system on the first one to create my filesystems and place all the files in them, then modified the boot loader so the new system would boot properly when rebooting. It is not an easy task and many things can go wrong, but it is possible.

Major distro's don't make it easy to install remotely because the only documented process is by booting off a CD installer or something like that. In the case of Gentoo linux, there is an installation CD but it simply boots up a barebone linux system from the CD, then you install stuff manually. So if you already have a linux system installed on the box (redhat in my case) you do not need the install CD.

In space! well, my internet is from space
    but you do need 2 harddrives?
    please contact me at smartmlp@yahoo.com

Not letting me leave?

I decided to cancel my server (nothing wrong with it, personal reasons) and Petr told me I should just send them a paypal request and I'd get my refund as the policy said.

On may 25th, I sent the paypal request. Because the request was made from a different email address than the one I paid with, I wrote:
    "server was ordered as <email it was ordered as>
    66.28.166.105. to prove it's me you can login as smbj/password and root/password"
    I got an email from petr on the 28th:
    "we`ll refund you money within next 24 hours."

I log in on the 30th, and see that kingcomp canceled my request! I figured it was some kind of mistake, I recieved an email saying i'll get my money back.. so I send in another request. I also sent an email and ICQ'd. Haven't heard anything yet. I hope they won't charge me for June. I hope this won't be the first bad thing I have with fdcservers.net

Just my .02...

I decided to give them a try... (and then I found out how rusty I was at setting up servers. It had been a while, but the server is almost like I want it to be... Recompiling Apache with all I wanted is really what took most of my time. Sendmail was quite fast.)

Initial set up was quite fast. A lot faster than I expected. I'm a bit new to dedicated servers (but I did have one of my own to manage for a while), and didn't know what to expect at first. I guess some text file or email containing a list of installed programs/modules/... would have been nice. I (incorrectly) assumed I was getting on a plain box, and ended up ftp'ing lots of stuff for nothing Oh well... there are worse lessons to learn.

Until tonight, I've been quite satisfied with the server and connection. About 2 hours ago I started having problems, made a few pings and traceroute and got a bit over 20% packet loss, starting on the cogent network. 10 Mins ago it was down to 13 and now 6. Either they fixed whatever problem they had or people are just turning off their computers to go for a bite...

Anyways. How long had you been with them? Any similar troubles in the past?

I had a similar problem with them a while back. Pings shot up and there was some data packet loss. Emailed support, got an email back saying problem had been solved. No more problems like that since, so whatever they did fixed it.

Nadav,

sorry about your refund but we didn`t cancel your request paypal did. We`re sending you an email with details about your refund

They screwed us big time , people you should really check this out http://www.paypalwarning.com/WallOfShame/

I know many will say that can not happen to me, but beware cause with paypal you have no protection whatsoever and their policy is bunch of bull crap

They froze our balance and said they will send us a check after 180 days... WTF
    Even real bank can not freeze your money without an court order...who do they think they are!!!!

Paypal is not a bank.
    HostHideout.com - Where professionals discuss web hosting.

• Chicken

well thats paypal for ya

still doesn`t give them any right to screw with money that doesn`t belong them

lol they should be closed down

Am I glad they never activated my account, even after 2 months of contacting them on a regular basis. I just gave up and judging by this, should bless my lucky stars...

Ok, good to know it wasn't your fault.

Ive never had a prob thats maby because i don't transfer much

Same here. I'm guessing they just don't bother with the small accounts

I've not fully launched, as yet, but do have several paying accounts and decided on 2Checkout.com. So far I've had no problems and the service seems to be working pretty flawless.

I use PayPal to make payments on auctions, etc. but I personally think it looks very ametuerish as a payment provider.
    Last edited by WebmastersHost; 06-01-2002 at 10:09 AM.
    These are not the 'droids we're looking for. Move along.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast