transferring hosts = just stop paying old host?

hello all

so thats my question
    i really dont know much about basically everything on this forum.
    but i do have a website that i made and manage, learning everything from scratch.

so my current host is horrible. they dont answer emails and are basically invisible until pay day comes. its a monthly deal, so thats good. no commitment.

so i now want to switch hosts... how do i do that?
    they wont even answer my email asking how i can add 3 more domains... i doubt they'll answer my email stating that i want to cancel my account.

do i just stop paying... and then transfer start paying a new host?

simple as that?

ok, thanks!

Transfer your site to the new host first. After everything is running fine on your new host, fire an email to them and ask for cancellation. Cancel all recurring subscription on hand.
    Affordable Managed Hosting Solutions for Professional & Business since 2001
    Mxhub.com - Global : USA - UK - Canada - Europe - Asia Pacific

hey

and if they dont answer my cancellation email ?
    and just continue to send invoices ?

my question is: after i transfered all my stuff to the new host and all is working fine... do i reallly need to cancel anything from my old host?

i figure i just stop paying.
    of course, i'll send them a cancellation email and all, but i think they are all ghosts who run that company haha

Do they have your credit card information on file? If not, and you don't have a Paypal subscription set up, you should be fine.

You should do the right thing and at least notify them, even if they don't respond.

--Tina
    ||| 99.999% Uptime SLA!!!
    Plenty of space and bandwidth to fit your needs!
    www.AEIandYou.com - - (WP Friendly - Premium Reseller Hosting and Cheap Dedicated Servers)

Sometime it's harder to cancel then to sign up. I'm currently trying to cancel two hosting accounts with two different hosts. And it's hard.

Of course I can stop paying them when they want more money, but I want to cancl my accounts now.

****** are stupid or something, because I have sent them several mails, telling them to cancel my accounts, but I only get stupid replies back.

Netfirms are the second one I try to cancel. I have sent them all my information (login, welcome mail etc) but still they don't want to cancel.
    They are telling me that I can keep the account to the subscription goes out.

But I want out, and have sent them several mails now telling them to cancel my account.

I remember a story from last year, and from gate.com
    I tried their service for two months, and cancelled my account. But after 7-8 months, I took a look on my credi card statement, and saw that they had charge my card every month since I canceled.

But it's was my fault that I did not read my CC statement every month. So long the total charge are around the same, I do not use time to read all the payments.

But be sure that you have a copy of the cancel mail, so if they charge you and make h***, you can prove that you sent them a mail to cancel.
    My Top 20 benchmark list (and review site)
    Powered by: Kimsufi, backed up by: Hetzner, DigitalOcean and Vultr.com
    Also using
    SolaDrive.com (56+ months), KnownHost.com (56+ months)

Quote Originally Posted by Fetusborg
    do i just stop paying... and then transfer start paying a new host?
    NO! Carefully read the TOS, FAQs, and anything else your present host has regarding canceling and follow the procedures they state. Some do cancel via email although they may have a specific email address for cancellations. Others - 1 and 1 comes to mind - have a web page with a form for canceling. Do it their way or you'll end up starting a "my host is ripping me off" thread here.

haha, ok.

they are truly ghosts though.

check them out: www.layeredhosting.com
    they dont even have a proper webpage. and i dont think i ever saw a contract.
    i pay them through pay pal, yes. but that means that they DONT have my credit card number right. so it would be ok to just not pay.

it only shows up in my credit card statement if i pay, i think

Don't look good1

Just make sure that they can't automatically get the money from your account without you physically authorizing it. If they can, then you could be in for a big headache; especially since you can't get in contact with them.
    InfTek Hosting
    Shared and Dedicated Kerio MailServer Solutions
    http://www.inftekhosting.com

You should do the right thing and at least notify them, even if they don't respond.
    I agree, do your part and notify them that you want to cancel your account. If they don't respond, then that's their problem.

haha, ok.

i pay them through pay pal, yes. but that means that they DONT have my credit card number right. so it would be ok to just not pay.

How were you able to ORDER your account in the first place? Theres only a front page only. Strange!
    HostCaters.com - Quality Web Hosting - Under A Gig! - Since 1999

Just remember this. The best advice I ever got from a business partner.

Always do your business based on your own responsibilities, and not based on the inefficiencies of the other party.

That's good advice. Move your stuff, do the right thing and contact them afterwards. Moving yourn sites prior is protecting your interest, it's not unethical.

If they don't answer the email after termination, make sure you're protected. remove the credit card info, or cancel any automated payment you had.
    Show your reciprocal links on your website. eReferrer

Interesting. There was another thread here recently that went along the lines of, would you buy from a host with a bad website?

Move your site to a new host first then Give your old host
    7 days notice that you wish to cancel.

Thats what I would do
    I could tell you a joke about UDP. But I'm not sure you would get it!

Silly, me I was going to suggest that you should also pay attention to their TOS.

Anyway, the danger in this kind of situation is of them (or whoever buys the remains of the company) realising some 6-12 months from now that you weren't paying them, and come after you, claiming that they have never received your cancellation (even though you did send it).

In any case, take all precautions, including the efforts of sending them your cancellation request.

Quote Originally Posted by Martie
    How were you able to ORDER your account in the first place? Theres only a front page only. Strange!
    i wonder too.
    Affordable Managed Hosting Solutions for Professional & Business since 2001
    Mxhub.com - Global : USA - UK - Canada - Europe - Asia Pacific

haha, ok.

Heh, I'm good buddies with the guy who runs Layered Hosting. Send me a private message if you need to get in touch with him over an instant messenger.
    ‹‹SHAW NETWORKS›› Simple. Professional. Reliable. Web Hosting Done Right.
    Low Cost & Award-Winning: cPanel Reseller Plans ›› 24/7/365 Live Technical Support ‹‹
    Website: www.shawnetworks.com Fast Response E-mail: sales @ shawnetworks.com
    Sick of downtime? Fed up with excuses? Drop your host! Switch to Shaw Networks.