Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Wonder how many customers of his are now backing up their databases and files every hour just in case Shawn vanishes from the hosting biz tomorrow. That's gotta suck!

I actually do expect alot from customer service...As for tech support, I don't really need it..I know whats wrong, fill out a help desk, it gets fixed and off we go! I have only used the help desk for account upgrades I purchased..But they have always been handled very quickly!

mrtorrent: I have to say, that if you must have come into the chat room with an attitude problem to get treated the way you did! ANd if a customer was stating lies, then he should be called a liar! How are they not handling it in a timely manner!!?? It was over a holiday this stuff happenned..take that into consideration....

I personally think, people just always want and always have to have something to complain about...Too many peole will never be happy no matter what..and that is sad!

So far, all I have seen is little nit picking statements....

Every business runs into problems sooner or later...Internet companies run into problems all the time.... I have hosted with a ton of places and have had the same problems everywhere sooner or later... But so far CW is ahead of the others I have hosted with..cause it has been 1 time..not multiple.

xela, that's the biggest problem we face. As I said, I can't access the FTP or phpmyadmin to download and backup my files.

And swish, sometime, yes sometimes, people complain because of good reason. Having my site remndered inert and down for 7 days (and counting) is reason enough to complain to me.

Subsim: Sorry about your awful experience with CW. Hope you backup your files successfully sooner or later.

Originally posted by Subsim
    xela, that's the biggest problem we face. As I said, I can't access the FTP or phpmyadmin to download and backup my files.

And swish, sometime, yes sometimes, people complain because of good reason. Having my site remndered inert and down for 7 days (and counting) is reason enough to complain to me.
    Nothing wrong with complaining...I meant and was referring to the way most, I repeat Most (not all), handled it and did it. You have to be professional and polite, not act childish. Subsim, you seem to be polite on here, so I would assume you weren't one of the nasy people that came in. :-)

Hey, where are all the people who swore up and down they are the greatest and all other hosts were just jealous and they were getting the best support ever ...and blah, blah, blah...Same story, different tune - great low priced host comes in, then has problems, then eventually fades away.. Are these customers the same people that put their hand on the stove once a week to remind themselves that hot=hurt???? Must love getting burned.

Originally posted by swish

Nothing wrong with complaining...I meant and was referring to the way most, I repeat Most (not all), handled it and did it. You have to be professional and polite, not act childish. Subsim, you seem to be polite on here, so I would assume you weren't one of the nasy people that came in. :-)
    How is someone suppose to act in this situation then?

Bow down and kiss their feet?

In order to get some attention and get something worked out?

To me, I don't think so, the client is ok for him to get mad, etc, but to a certain limit and/or point and the company admin/staff/exec should take care of such situation as best as possible, to ease down these situations, as I have heard, someone comes saying bad stuff about in Cyberwings chat, all of the sudden you get banned and booted.

Is that how you suppose to handle a situation?

These people even if they paid $.01 they should get what was promised, with same professionalism, and courtesy. And the client has every right to share his opinions about the company, but it is just not right to kiss up to them to see if they are going to attempt to fix or do anything.

I want to chime in here as well, not to contribute to any bashing but to share my own well documented experiences.

Like everyone else, I was wary of the promises at such amazing rates but got transcript promises from Shawn directly telling me he would stand by the claims and refund all my money if they fell through. I then asked the simple question of where Cyberwings was filed as a company. .Then the **** hit the fan.

I called the state of Maine and they told me all corporations, sole proprietorships or not must be filed with the state and that there was no record of any Cyberwings beyond a few expired name reservations. When I just asked Shawn to clarify what the situation was he retorted by calling my questioning "pathetic" and "petty."

Cyberwings has since then filed as a corporation with the state of Maine. Nit picking like you allege, Swish? Perhaps all of the off balance sheet accounting Enron and Worldcom did was nit picking as well. But not when it is with my money!

1 week downtime is a joke.

I'm going to ask for a $20 refund; I don't care if it's possibly the super-bargain of the year being only 1/10th the cost of comparable services at other places.

CW is going to go UNDER very SOON!

I have the distinct feeling they are barely paying lightspeed, their only ISP in the Maine DC. (THere is no reason an ISP would shut down a customer who is paying good money...)

Originally posted by webhappy
    (THere is no reason an ISP would shut down a customer who is paying good money...)
    I don't know much about the case at hand here, but I can say that ISP's don't always shut off providers for non-payment. I've known several hosts that have had their plugs pulled for either content or their customers sending spam. That is not to say that your assessment of this particular situation isn't right on the money. It may well be. But just for the record, ISP's do sometimes cut off customers that pay good money.

Originally posted by taoofbean
    I want to chime in here as well, not to contribute to any bashing but to share my own well documented experiences.

Like everyone else, I was wary of the promises at such amazing rates but got transcript promises from Shawn directly telling me he would stand by the claims and refund all my money if they fell through. I then asked the simple question of where Cyberwings was filed as a company. .Then the **** hit the fan.

I called the state of Maine and they told me all corporations, sole proprietorships or not must be filed with the state and that there was no record of any Cyberwings beyond a few expired name reservations. When I just asked Shawn to clarify what the situation was he retorted by calling my questioning "pathetic" and "petty."

Cyberwings has since then filed as a corporation with the state of Maine. Nit picking like you allege, Swish? Perhaps all of the off balance sheet accounting Enron and Worldcom did was nit picking as well. But not when it is with my money!
    DO a little more research, CW has been for alot longer then that..It shows a date of last year... This had been covered in Chat..check the logs on their page.

Just because one registers a domain named hostingcompany.com several years ago does not make them an actual corprate entity. Swish I am very ssupicious of your blind allegiance or just blanket ignorance. Cyberwings just had their one year anniversary but where are teh papers that show this company (sole proprietor or not) was filed a year ago. Any business student knows it takes more than a domain name to be credible. Just because he has been hosting people since 1997 doesn't mean it was legal. I did check the chat logs, and Shawn's only response is to "call the state of Maine", and to kick anyone from the chatroom who asks the question.

Since you are such a staunch supporter swish, perhaps you could explain where information lies that explains where magic records exist that contradict my research. Shawn claimed the records existed and he would post them, where is the chat log that shows these thus far ficticious claims. You claim it has been explained but provide no details. The only thing explained is Shawn's continued statement that we have been around and we are not going anywhere.

You would have a hard time right now backing up your staunch support because as of Monday 12 est, there is no site found at cyberwings.com.
    Last edited by taoofbean; 07-08-2002 at 12:43 PM.

Man, this is getting WORSE!

Down. PERIOD. As of 9:50 AM PST on Mon, June 8.

Now my $20 could be gone?

Originally posted by lightnin

I don't know much about the case at hand here, but I can say that ISP's don't always shut off providers for non-payment. I've known several hosts that have had their plugs pulled for either content or their customers sending spam. That is not to say that your assessment of this particular situation isn't right on the money. It may well be. But just for the record, ISP's do sometimes cut off customers that pay good money.
    I don't know. I was reading PC World, and they have an article about spammers, and some spammers claim to pay enough that the ISP looks the other way...

Anyways, I was looking at Anandtech.com forums, and it looks like LS was unhappy with CW's decision to move DC's to VA.

Who knows what is really going on now...

Oh man, these chat logs are hilarious. On CWstatus.com

For those of you who don't know, the only hope of getting any support the last 2 weeks was through IRC chat. I cannot believe these ultimatum statements coming from the CEO. If I don't feel loved by the community then I will stop hemorrahing cash into this poorly run business.

> Willow: Sure, I understand that, but people also need
    to understand that I do not run CW for profit, in fact, I've lost money on this business, so without COMMUNITY SUPPORT & RALLYING behind us, I'm going to feel very disappointed investing ANOTHER $100,000 into this business. I'll do it, either way, but if I don't have the community support & involvement, I'm going to be VERY disappointed. I've already pumped $144,000 in
    <05CEO-Shawn> ------ I'll do it, either way, but if I don't have
    the community support & involvement, I'm going to be VERY disappointed. I've already pumped $144,000 into this business in 12 months.
    * SnuggleB_CWI considers that $144,000 well spent.
    <05Willowdream> i understand that shawn....trust me i do...I AM STILL HERE...if that is any proof to you of my support..
    <05CEO-Shawn> Snuggle - until it comes out of your own pocket CW has not brought in that much, let's just say that.
    <05SnuggleB_CWI> Same here.
    * KGIII_CWV looked and has the logs of kilo's comments
    <05Willowdream> but i just thought that it should be well noted that right about now....actions speak far louder than words..and quite a few of your loyal customers are waiting for action instead of more words
    <05CEO-Shawn> I love my business, I love the community, but unless I see some major community-wide support here, I'll just bring Maine back online and let the rest work itself out. Regardless, future prices will be going UP and people will be paying more premium prices for our services."

CEO-Shawn: Talks with LS are not going well, services are not
    active at this moment. I may be flying to Maine immediately to pickup our servers and plug them back in in Virginia tonight. We already have Class C's in Virginia ready to roll. Not sure yet how things will turn out, but we are all HOT under the collars today.
    Last edited by taoofbean; 07-08-2002 at 01:16 PM.

Red face NoCyberwings needs to be upfront as well....

This quote from "NoCyberwings" caught my eye...

try out a better company like Eryxma or Affordable Host or one of the other ones that truly care about their customers more than the customers' money.
    It reminded me of some a questionable character a while back prowling the cyberwings forums to trash cyberwings and promote a hosting company....Eryxma. Hmmmmm......something smells here......more than just cyberwings troubles!!!

Talk is cheap!

Downtime is EXPENSIVE!

irc.webchat.org

#cwtalk

In other words, Shawn states that if he doesn't get the community support he wants, despite the fact that his customers are complaining of too much downtime, he will be "dissapointed" and leave the business? Isn't that like blackmail, sorta?

Quoted from Yahoo! group CW_talk,

"Ok, I have remained silent up to now, but this guy is ridiculous! I
    am an employee of Lightship aand I am here to tell you all that Shawn
    has not spoken to any one @LS since Friday. furthermore, his account
    is in arrears in excess of $30k. Also, his access to the Collocation
    space where the servers are has been taken away untill his account
    has been brought up to date. So those servers are not going anywhere
    for a while..."

See for yourself at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CW_Talk/

I could of told you guys this forever. It never was LS's fault. Its always been shawn, and he uses LS to get people off his back.
    Coming Soon!

My take on Cyberwings ...

It's worth the paper it's printed on.

Right now I am patting myself on the back. I was with Cyberwings since they started offering reseller accounts. Shawn seemed like an amiable fellow and I like helping people out who are trying something new or starting. Many people have done the same for me ...

Anyway, things with Cyberwings were absolutley great for the first few months. I did notice an increase in the amount of specials that were offered and I even availed myself of one of them.

My previous posts on this forum have shown that I did reccomend Cyberwings, but for people without mission critical needs.

What really rattled me was the downtime experienced about a month ago when the plesk servers they had at Rack Shack (I think that's where they were) mysteriously went down on a Friday.

Having another reseller account through someone at Rack Shack, I knew it wasn't a DC or connectivity issue as it only affected Cyberwings servers. Add to that the fact that Cyberwings had to talk to Customer Service and not technical support and I became nervous.

The information from Cyberwings wasn't worth anything. Lots of "we need to keep this confidential" "you'll hear from our lawyers on this" and other such non-sense. Some people were claiming that Cyberwings didn't pay their Rack Shack bill, but no one ever confirmed this.

When the servers came back online the next day it wasn't soon thereafter that Cyberwings held an online IRC sale. Prices were amazingly low and you had to pay now. Again, I was puzzled by this as more and more people were sending in money for lifetime hosting, unreal amounts of bandwidth and storage, etc.

I decided to look into another reseller account and settled on Voxtreme. I did have one site on Cyberwings that generates revenue and that was the account I wanted to move over.

Knowing what a pain it is to move 15 sites I still made the decision to move. I wrote a message to Shawn letting him know why, etc. Never heard back, but that was ok. I knew he was extremely busy recovering from the outage.

A month passes, I get busy with work and the sites and don't check the forum. I get an email letting me know that someone has responded to a message I left about Cyberwings. It's an old message, so I look and learn of the current issues.

My first reaction was joy ... joy that I was able to move my domains off. My second reaction was darn. Lots, I mean lots, of people host with Cyberwings due to the price and I know the frustration they are going through.

Now, I read the latest messages about their upstream provider and how some people are saying that Cyberwings is in arears. It makes you think that something might be there.

Hopefully people will learn from this when their attempting to make a hosting decision.

Re: NoCyberwings needs to be upfront as well....

Originally posted by Dourque
    This quote from "NoCyberwings" caught my eye...

It reminded me of some a questionable character a while back prowling the cyberwings forums to trash cyberwings and promote a hosting company....Eryxma. Hmmmmm......something smells here......more than just cyberwings troubles!!!
    Excuse me?

Find me those post please, now we wouldn't never do something like that.

There is one thing I remember, on how I came to hear about Cyberwings.

There was a client of ours who wanted a refund from you guys and you declined it, and well he wanted me to come in, since Shiekron didn't want to, and ask you guys to give him at least some of his money back because no money was refunded, and no service.

So I just came in to the chat room one time, and I didn't expect our client to be in there, was promoting us in there, and still asking for a refund. I didn't say anything just watched, and I just grew tired of the crap I heard in the chat, just left.

But I am sure that none of our staff members will go bothering any other hosting company like so, so please, stop.

I am a cyberwings customer. I have been for several months and never had a hitch with my website until the past few days. Basically, we(customers AND cyberwings) got screwed. Dunno who's fault it was, but Shawn IS commited to fixing things. He is not running away with the $. He is setting up a new data center with multi-homed bandwidth and is moving the servers ASAP. You can read www.cwstatus.com (official site) for more info about the problems.

Yes it is a nightmare, but NO, CW is not going anywhere. BTW, Shawn *owns* his data centers, the whole building. he's not some fly-by-night rent a rack guy. I dont like the thread starter's post because it ONLY mentioned negative comments.

OF COURSE people are going to be pissed off. Everyone is. But there are tons more users supporting CW than bashing. join irc.webchat.org #cyberwings for more info or just to hang out.

-Eric

eric, why do you even believe what shawn says? HE told you guys that he had dual oc48's in his DC, then he tells you he has 3 redundant connections, such as level3, verizon, and lightship. But then he has all this downtime and wants to blame it on LightShip? If it was really a LS problem, dont you think he would talk to LS about it, and in the meantime his "redundant connections" would kick in? I have yet to see a level3 or verizon connection kick in. I therefore have a hard time believing that he owns a data center, or that he ever will. My thoughts (That come from a very good source) are that the MAINE datacenter is rented out to Shawn by LightShip. I can almost bet money on this, and if you want to doubt me, then just wait and see how things go, because they wont change. Once a liar always a liar.
    Coming Soon!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast