Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Caution: Cyberwings - Caveat Emptor

(Buyer Beware)...
    ...of Cyberwing Communications (www.cyberwings.com)

If you don't read my long post, at least check out the quotes from other people (below)...

Then check out the site. See anything suspicious? Do you really think a company can provide reliable, fast, feature-rich, long-term web hosting for such ridiculously low prices? That aint even the half of it... you should see some of the sales he sends out and offers in the chat room. Things like - lifetime individual hosting account for $10. Gimme a break! Shawn White, the CEO, cannot possibly keep his business (and I use that term loosely) running so cheaply.

And you better hope nothing ever goes wrong. Do you see any type of server status page on the website? Nope. Wanna know why? They are too embarrassed! For example, one of their Cobalt Raq servers started having PAM authentication issues about a week ago, and DAYS later they could only put a bandaid on the problem by special request only. It allowed access back to the account for a few hours, then the server went completely offline. It has been inaccessable, with NO explanation or ETA offered, for DAYS now. No posting on the site, no emails to the customers, and evasive answers (if any) in their chat room. I can't blame them for not wanting people to know the quality (or lack thereof) of "service" Cyberwings provides.

Now look at the "Contact Us" page - see the email address for tech support? Would you believe that "[email protected]" is not monitored by real people? Email it to give it a try! See the canned email reply telling you that's NOT how you get technical support?

Shawn is all about getting your money up front, and promising you service later. Sounds good, if you are Shawn, but for the customer, you better hope he comes through. That remains to be seen. Everyone has heard that saying about 'if it sounds too good...' Promises for Shawn are free, so it stands to reason that if you want to take a lot of money from people in a short amount of time, you sell them promises. And I do give him credit for creativity! He has come up with some of the silliest (but creative) terms for sales and upgrades that get you to want to spend more money for future service.

In the time the one server was recently down (affecting about 200 accounts/websites, by the way), there was not a single notification to anyone. I have a "priority one" trouble ticket that has gone DAYS without any type of reply. I initiated that ticket before the server crashed, when it was having basic problems just a couple of days earlier. When the server crashed, they added a new category to the help desk tickets. Since I wasn't in the "correct" category, they may never see it now. What a crock! I hope all 200 customers know that the only way to get any anwers (albeit mostly wrong answers) is to join and IRC chat room. It appears that losing 200 customers is no big deal, when you are so busy reeling in all the other believers who actually think they will get what they pay for.

Shawn, who must be about 18 years old, thinks he can fool all the people all the time. Us older folks learned long ago that it can't be done. He should stop the charades, get his act together, and stop playing with peoples' livlihoods. Many of his customers may actually RELY (gasp!) on their web hosting and emails for their jobs, etc, and the way Shawn and his lousy staff is handling problems shows their lack of maturity and overall concern for the customers - the people who spent all that money. And I predict the non-service-oriented business practices, immaturity, and overzealousness will be the company's downfall in a rather short amount of time.

In the mean time, for you risk-takers out there, enjoy the trip! When your account vanishes, or when Cyberwings vanishes, try out a better company like Eryxma or Affordable Host or one of the other ones that truly care about their customers more than the customers' money. I previously moved my account to another hosting company, and I advise everyone at Cyberwings to have a backup plan!

I know that after I post this, numerous customers (he must have several thousand by now, with the sales he's promoting) will come to his aid, along with some of his worthless staff to pick apart this post, but that's to be expected. It's all semantics. The bottom line is the dead server for days, and the lack of results. They can pick apart the post, but if they spent half as much time fixing their hosting problems, maybe people like me wouldn't have to post "beware of this company" notices like this. If those of you reading this think I'm the only one, and I'm just venting, then read some excerpts from some posts in a public forum, NOT from the Cyberwings site:

http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.cfm?catid=40&threadid=820096

"Has anyone had trouble accesing their sites hosted by them ? I can't check my mail, visit my site, or for that matter theirs ? I hope the "life time" offer was mine, I hope ther are still there."

"I'm having trouble too - I'm also not sure this is the right forum (maybe a move to OT? hint hint). But yeah, my site (see sig) is dead too...damn."

"Yea it seems like their Upstream provider is having problems
    AGAIN...."

"It's really starting to piss me off right now, i'm on PLESK14 which HAS downtime EVERY day, doesn't just seem that way, it truely has hours of downtime EVERY day, sigh..."

"Both of mine are unreachable as well. Oh, well. Luckily I only paid a little over $3 for them and I don't do anything important on them."

"Ya, I also understand the the few bucks i paid aren't that important if i lose it. But the e-mail adress they host is. I got some important contacts that are handled through it, so i dont wana have to trouble them explaining why i had to change adress."

"Kinda makes it hard to sell on Ebay when none of your pictures work! And I hear ya about the email. This connection is down at least once a day. Over the last week, I usually check my mail maybe 3 times a day, and at least once everyday I was not able to connect for hours at a time. That cannot be 98% uptime, no way!"

"My account on Plesk11 is down too."

"dam, another day another downtime"

"Ok my site is back up now. It was down for at least 30 minutes! So 60 (minutes)*24 (hours) =1440 minutes in a day. 30 / 1440 = .02 so low and behold 98% uptime assuming it was not down earlier today and will not go down again tonight. There almost seems like there is a planned 2% downtime lately every day. Whatever..."

"they still havne't set my account up that i orderd in MAy, so screw them"

"mine is down. so is www.cyberwings.com"

"They definitely need to solve this upstream provider issue"

"hahah build a new datacenter? if this guy had millions of dollars to throw around, im sure he could afford a couple backup lines for u guys..."

"what makes all u guys believe them when they say "their upstream provider" is the problem...that could very well be just "press talk""

"Cyberwings sucks. Shawn, give me my money back, stop ignoring my emails."

"To be honest I dont know why anyone would sign up with cyberwings. They have absolutely no business model. Lifetime accounts? Impossible unless they invest your money in some very high interest solid fund. I am predicting they will be out of business, with your money, in under 6 months. Be ready."

"I was informed their 98% uptime gaurantee is an average over ONE YEAR!?!??! I don't think I saw that mentioned on their site when I registered a month or 2 ago. So they could be down approx. 7.5 days and they'd stay within their uptime gaurantee. 2% of a year is around what, 175 hours or so...blah.."

"Their uplink providers have been crappy lately. The downtimes are usually for about 30 min to 1 hour."

"No, their choice of peers has been crappy always. Uplink? give me a break. It's about peering, and who you sleep with in that regard. Sheety host = sheety service."

And my favorite:

"Everytime a server crashes a user earns his cyberwings..."

I did take a look at them the other day and was totally turned off by the site in general. I just looked plain sloppy which makes me wonder about support and service.

For that reason alone, I would not consider Cyberwing Communications for hosting.

Your obviously upset with them. Perhaps I missed something in the lengthy post but are you a client of theirs?

Perhaps I missed something in the lengthy post but are you a client of theirs?
    I was, briefly. I paid for a year, but have already obtained new hosting and changed the name servers. I won't even bother asking for a refund... I'll just chalk it up to experience. I do hope, however, to help others avoid similar situations.

Ya know, I just noticed... in the cyberwinge nightmare thread... soon after Shawn posts his excuses for poor service or whatever, several of his "customers" start to chime in with their positive experiences. Kinda fishy how all of a sudden, several customers (in a row) suddenly visit the forum to defend him. Oh well...

Wasn't Cyberwings claiming they had thier own datacenter once
    This forum officially ****ing sucks

They dont claim to, they do have their own DC... though for the past couple of days they have been having problems with their upstream provider...

On the whole though CW get a thumbs up from me, and no I'm nothing to do with them...

What do you mean by "and no I'm nothing to do with them...", Scotty? Do you mean you have nothing to do with them? Just trying to understand you better.

What? You get crappy support and uptime w/ $3 a month hosting???? STOP THE PRESSES!!!!

I've an account at CyberWings and yeah, I'm not satisfied with their uptimes. If you visit the "Server Maintenance, Upgrades & Outage" forum (in their site), you will know why.

So, all I can say about CW is that they are not good for your mission critical site. They are most suitable for people who want to host their personal or low traffic sites or hobby sites. Mine is a similar site, and I'm very satisfied about their service and pricing (ofcourse!), other than the uptime issue.

So you need not complain that their uptime is bad or low. If you find you are missing lot of visitors and revenue, then switch to some other host and ask Shawn for a refund. Shawn is not cheating people, he does give refund if you ask, anytime. He is making money through these 'creative' deals so that he can improve the services in future. Ofcourse, he knows that people wont be using 300 MB of space and 100 GB of bandwidth per month for their personal sites !

Anyway, they are switching to monthly based hosting like other hosts from this week. Their website will be redesigned too. It was just to make some quick money that he had these 'out of the world' deals. It doesn't mean that he cheated people. They are still alive with average customer support.

Enough said

Originally posted by xelA
    What do you mean by "and no I'm nothing to do with them...", Scotty? Do you mean you have nothing to do with them? Just trying to understand you better.
    I mean that my only connection with them is that I use them to host my site

Originally posted by NOcyberwings

I won't even bother asking for a refund...

I did the same, but I think that's the way they make money. They charge you low price, and give you low quality service, hoping you move out without using their resources and not asking for a refund. YOu see, they get your money, you don't use their service...

got my personal site there, ~98% uptime, not that good but .. As someone said, I would not put a mission critical site there . (uptime)&(slow support)

I have about eight sites with Cyberwings. Quite honestly I dont have a monitor on them, and really only use them for domains I dont need for email, just as play around personal stuff.

J definitely would not host a business site or any critical site on Cyberwings. But I still think they serve a great purpose as a cheap host. You get what you pay for and then plus some (if you use their cheapest plans).

I am not a customer of Cyberwings, but I would like to comment if I may.

During the past few days I have been watching the IRC Support chat channel. I see that many customers arent very happy, and I would like to ask a couple questions of my own, because at one time I was interested in purchasing a dedicated server.

I have been told by many CW Employees that Cyberwings has 'Redundant Connections' with level3 and verizon. CW has been going down alot in the past couple days, and they keep saying its the Upstream providers fault (LightShip), but if they have redundant connections, then there would be NO downtime, because once LS goes out, the level3 or verizon (redundant connection) would kick in. But instead all we hear is "The upstream is having problems". To me this sounds really weird.

I have nothing wrong with CW, and Im glad Shawn is having such good success with sales and everything. But you NEED to keep people updated with what EXACTLY is going on, or you will end up regretting it in the future.
    Coming Soon!

Exactly do you expect good uptime/support if you pay $2/year? How will they have to cover the losses on sales, putting thounsands of clients on a server. Thus the constant downtime. Move with your feet people leave cyberwings pay a little more and get the service/support that you require.
    Clustered Hosting With Continuous Data Protection (CDP)
    http://www.solidinternet.com
    8 Years of hosting excellence!

I got my cyberwings account a couple of months ago. Paid $2.70 for a year. Worth nearly every penny.

From what I've seen, I imagine my account won't run the year. Unless the service improves substantially and the company finds a way to repeal the laws of financial gravity.

Well, I got a reseller account with them for **** and giggles... 10 bucks a month for 1gb/25gb is DIRT cheap, and if it's a little slow sometimes, it's OK, because I'm not actually going to resell the space.

Also... They had a birthday special and I got 75mb/30gb of bandwith per month for only 4 dollars a year. I had to take that one... Even if they don't make it... I won't be out anything that's going to kill me.
    what is all this now?

Whatever you do don't go to cyberwings, I sent them so much money and I have yet to get my information, I bought I few reseller accounts and they kept my money, thing is I sent it via paypal what should I do now?

What a Joke!
    75mb/30gb of bandwith per month for only 4 dollars a year.

What do they do, pull numbers out of a hat?
    DANG DANG! DANG!!
    I know ***** ripped off everybody else, but they wouldn't do it to me.
    "When you use bottom feed for bait, you are only going to catch bottom feeders."
    "You do what you are, and you are what you do."

Originally posted by bodyz
    Whatever you do don't go to cyberwings, I sent them so much money and I have yet to get my information, I bought I few reseller accounts and they kept my money, thing is I sent it via paypal what should I do now?
    File a complaint with PayPal, they will reverse the charges if CW cant prove delivery.

Well, all I have on Cyberwings is a forum and that has been 100% down for the last 4 days. I don't mind them cheating me out of 7 months of service but I sure would like to be able to FTP in and get my files!

This has scam written all over it. My friends and I all expected this when we signed up but like one said, "For $10 a year, who cares?"

Originally posted by ATST
    What a Joke!

What do they do, pull numbers out of a hat?
    Haha, probably.

In all seriousness, I've been a "customer" (if you could really call me a customer from the way I was treated by Cyberwings) of theirs for several months now, and it's just been one bad thing after another. I kind of rushed into purchasing an account with them because I saw a few rave "customer" comments and their prices were so cheap. How naive of me - I should've left as soon as I saw their website. Well, suffice it to say that they were slow to respond even to my pre-sales questions, and after that it just got worse - slow support, downtime, ridiculously cheap "lifetime" sales, etc.

Continued from last post..

Had a huge outage on the server I was on shortly after I joined up, and after 10 hours, they were "researching" the problem. I went to the chat room because I just plain couldn't get a response from the help desk about it, only to be verbally abused by the CW fanatics that hang out there. One of them even started swearing at me and told me that he had the private beeper/pager numbers of CW staff, but now he wouldn't give them to me, nah nah. That's one of the things that kills me and I hatedthe most: whenever I've tried to publicly question something like the slow/poor service or some downtime, a few of these "customers" start flaming me and basically telling me that I should revere Shawn (Cyberwings CEO) and give the poor, poor man a break. Yeah right.

So there's the slow, rotten support and then there's the flaming fanatics, and finally there's Shawn and Cyberwings: Wow. Here's a few bits from a chat he held with his customers the other day (http://www.cwstatus.com/logjuly5afternoon.htm):
    <deadhead77> Shawn, I had high hopes when I signed up with your company. I was somewhat apprehensive when there were questions about your lack of corporate filing with the State of Maine. You stated that you were validly incorporated and promised to post the Articles of Incorporation on the web site. Now it appears that you only filed with the State of Maine on 6/12/02. What is your response?
    <CEO-Shawn> DEADHEAD77: I've already had this discussion with the Secretary of State of the State of Maine and ANY issues you have with that should be directed to them. They will respond accordingly. We are 100% legal in our proceedings over the past 12-13 months and that has already been addressed between Me, our Counsel, and them. But again, feel free to contact them if you wish to inquire further. They already have a canned [response to give out!]
    Shortly after this is resolved people will be flocking back to us, I assure you.
    Oh you're going to be surprised what I've got planned. This entire situation has lit a fire under me to the point where I'm not stopping until CW dominates the market in hosting, with PREMIER quality data centers.
    Anyway, the latest thing they're giving their customers is that their upstream provider has been having some big problem that slows down or completely cuts off access to the Cyberwings servers but does not allow the backup providers to kick in. One of their employees posted a message in their forums a couple days ago saying that in "2-3 days" they would be packing up all the servers from their brand-spanking new data center in Maine and moving them to a data center in North Virginia, which would entail three days of downtime. Now, we are told that they are not, in fact, moving but will be building yet another data center in North Virginia that will become their "flagship" data center and that they cannot discuss the details of their problems with their upstream provider, Lightship. Not only all this, but customers weren't even e-mailed until something like yesterday, and then only the customers that were somehow able to find out about the opt-in updates list got an e-mail. When confronted in his chats, Shawn refuses to acknowledge that he has been lacking in his communication and tells the people who question him that if they don't like it, they should leave. Talk about customer relations.

In all fairness, however, as has been said: If you don't have a mission-critical site, just want something for cheap to play with, don't mind being harassed by fellow "customers" in a "support" chat room while staff members stand by, don't mind poor communication, service outages, and wouldn't mind waking up to find it all gone one morning, then Cyberwings is for you!

I leave you with this gem from the customer chat yesterday:
    <CEO-Shawn> They already have a canned response to give out!
    <Willowdream> [16:47] <t-mon> CEO-CONDIT Well, once again, I have not been a perfect man. I have made mistakes in my life. But out of respect for my family, out of a specific request by the Lightship family, it is best that I not get into the details of the relationship.

Come on now..I have been a customer of CW since Jan, and the past few days has been my only triubles with them. Every provider, every company, has problems now and then. I have been in chat the past 4 days so that I could get new info as it came out, and NO customers or CW staff was flaming anyone... All questions were answered when asked. Flaming by some customers did take place when the people asking the questions did it in a rude and childish manner! And in reality, no flaming was done, except by the customers that came in complaining and moaning with a major attitude... If you go in anywhere with a major attitude, you're not gonna be treated very well! People that came in and acted maturely and were nice got treated with the utmost resepct from everyone! I for one have no complaints about my CW accounts, and I have 6 of them! Granted there is a problem there, and they are working on it in a timely fashion!

One thing people should stop doing is going around spreading rumors, spreading lies, etc!!! Can you say "CHILDISH"!!!??! I have logs of most of the chatroom experiences, and 99% of the time it was the customers that came in rude and acted like a 2 year old child throwing a tempertantrum...If you act like a child, I feel you should be treated like one!

It's funny how it resembles a 2 year old child throwing a tantrum but a customer who has been waiting through a 7 day blackout gets angry. As far as I am concerned, CW could be "spreading rumors and lies" every time they declare anything. How do I know that they have their own data center, that they have a real staff? That this problem is not of their making? Why should I not be concerned that the business deals I have made with them and rely on are not shams to make a quick buck--it sure looks that way to me. If they are a professional hosting company, how on earth could they let their customers eat a 7 day total outage and not have some coningency plan? Heck, CW hasn't even bothered to move their support forums to a normal server, we can't read them or ask for help?

I recognize the tone of the chat logs, I have dealt with people like this in the past in web-related deals. They pump up the volume and try to come off as some kind of e-commerce giant when in reality it's all smoke and mirrors, they are better described as a fly-by-night operation. Yep, the chat logs show what direction this is headed in.

-----chat log July 16---
    * @CEO-Shawn has recently had 2 of his customers trying to personally track him down in person and cause me physical harm. I have had telephone threats against me, my properties, my family. I will not be back in here this weekend to discuss any further information on this matter until I have other issues resolved. ETA for BW resolution is still Monday. This entire situation is ridiculous at this point - these issues are out
    <Bob0_o|TryingToDoStuff> Wow, thats harsh
    * @CEO-Shawn Some people have developed a lynch-mob mentality and I will not put up with this. I am directing all vulgar/harassing comments/customers to my attorneys for handling, I will not discuss these matters with people who choose not to be civil. REPEAT questions will not be answered, please see the chat logs. While I want to resolve the issues at hand, move forward, I will not do so when my physical self is being put
    <Bob0_o|TryingToDoStuff> People go after you because you are personally involved with your company, which is respectable. Some people are whack
    <+heat23_CWV> shawn your message was cut off... "these issues are out"
    <whfirewalker> Shawn if you would communicate before the problem got this way people would not get so Pi**ed off
    * @CEO-Shawn Our attorneys are in this chat room 24/7 since Thursday night and are monitoring all customers, all IP's, all comments, threats, etc. People need to realize how ridiculous this situation is getting, and my attorneys will communicate directly with people who harass & threaten.
    --------------------------------------------

Yeah, right, like anyone could afford to pay an attorney to monitor a chat room

I see he has said that while he is being stalked by outraged cybergeeks he will not "resolve the issues at hand, move forward". That is so laughable!! Soon it will be our fault and he will end with "I tried but you people forced me to leave the hosting business". Lol!
    Subsim presents: Wolfpack

Originally posted by Subsim
    Soon it will be our fault and he will end with "I tried but you people forced me to leave the hosting business". Lol!
    Yes, that's exactly how it sounds sometimes!

As for you, swish, if this has been your only trouble with Cyberwings, even if you were lucky enough to be on a server that was not affected by any outage (were there actually any of those?), you obviously don't expect much in the way of support or customer service. As for the flaming, I've been in the chat room twice: The first time because my site had been down for hours and I was getting no response by other means, so I hoped I could get a response in the chat room. I asked for an update or information on what was going on and where the vaunted service ("not like those OTHER hosting companies") was. In response, I got a few people very forcefully telling me to give them a break, that they were working hard, etc. The second time was the other day, and I didn't stick around long enough to let anyone start yelling at me. But as for acting childish, I'm certainly not the one calling quite a few fellow customers liars and rumor mongers or the one who seems to enjoy exclamatory punctuation...

Additionally, they are NOT working on this problem in a timely fashion, because it has been going on for days. Even if their backup lines didn't kick in automatically for some reason, shouldn't they have at least gone and manually switched over?

Wonder how many customers of his are now backing up their databases and files every hour just in case Shawn vanishes from the hosting biz tomorrow. That's gotta suck!

I actually do expect alot from customer service...As for tech support, I don't really need it..I know whats wrong, fill out a help desk, it gets fixed and off we go! I have only used the help desk for account upgrades I purchased..But they have always been handled very quickly!

mrtorrent: I have to say, that if you must have come into the chat room with an attitude problem to get treated the way you did! ANd if a customer was stating lies, then he should be called a liar! How are they not handling it in a timely manner!!?? It was over a holiday this stuff happenned..take that into consideration....

I personally think, people just always want and always have to have something to complain about...Too many peole will never be happy no matter what..and that is sad!

So far, all I have seen is little nit picking statements....

Every business runs into problems sooner or later...Internet companies run into problems all the time.... I have hosted with a ton of places and have had the same problems everywhere sooner or later... But so far CW is ahead of the others I have hosted with..cause it has been 1 time..not multiple.

xela, that's the biggest problem we face. As I said, I can't access the FTP or phpmyadmin to download and backup my files.

And swish, sometime, yes sometimes, people complain because of good reason. Having my site remndered inert and down for 7 days (and counting) is reason enough to complain to me.

Subsim: Sorry about your awful experience with CW. Hope you backup your files successfully sooner or later.

Originally posted by Subsim
    xela, that's the biggest problem we face. As I said, I can't access the FTP or phpmyadmin to download and backup my files.

And swish, sometime, yes sometimes, people complain because of good reason. Having my site remndered inert and down for 7 days (and counting) is reason enough to complain to me.
    Nothing wrong with complaining...I meant and was referring to the way most, I repeat Most (not all), handled it and did it. You have to be professional and polite, not act childish. Subsim, you seem to be polite on here, so I would assume you weren't one of the nasy people that came in. :-)

Hey, where are all the people who swore up and down they are the greatest and all other hosts were just jealous and they were getting the best support ever ...and blah, blah, blah...Same story, different tune - great low priced host comes in, then has problems, then eventually fades away.. Are these customers the same people that put their hand on the stove once a week to remind themselves that hot=hurt???? Must love getting burned.

Originally posted by swish

Nothing wrong with complaining...I meant and was referring to the way most, I repeat Most (not all), handled it and did it. You have to be professional and polite, not act childish. Subsim, you seem to be polite on here, so I would assume you weren't one of the nasy people that came in. :-)
    How is someone suppose to act in this situation then?

Bow down and kiss their feet?

In order to get some attention and get something worked out?

To me, I don't think so, the client is ok for him to get mad, etc, but to a certain limit and/or point and the company admin/staff/exec should take care of such situation as best as possible, to ease down these situations, as I have heard, someone comes saying bad stuff about in Cyberwings chat, all of the sudden you get banned and booted.

Is that how you suppose to handle a situation?

These people even if they paid $.01 they should get what was promised, with same professionalism, and courtesy. And the client has every right to share his opinions about the company, but it is just not right to kiss up to them to see if they are going to attempt to fix or do anything.

I want to chime in here as well, not to contribute to any bashing but to share my own well documented experiences.

Like everyone else, I was wary of the promises at such amazing rates but got transcript promises from Shawn directly telling me he would stand by the claims and refund all my money if they fell through. I then asked the simple question of where Cyberwings was filed as a company. .Then the **** hit the fan.

I called the state of Maine and they told me all corporations, sole proprietorships or not must be filed with the state and that there was no record of any Cyberwings beyond a few expired name reservations. When I just asked Shawn to clarify what the situation was he retorted by calling my questioning "pathetic" and "petty."

Cyberwings has since then filed as a corporation with the state of Maine. Nit picking like you allege, Swish? Perhaps all of the off balance sheet accounting Enron and Worldcom did was nit picking as well. But not when it is with my money!

1 week downtime is a joke.

I'm going to ask for a $20 refund; I don't care if it's possibly the super-bargain of the year being only 1/10th the cost of comparable services at other places.

CW is going to go UNDER very SOON!

I have the distinct feeling they are barely paying lightspeed, their only ISP in the Maine DC. (THere is no reason an ISP would shut down a customer who is paying good money...)

Originally posted by webhappy
    (THere is no reason an ISP would shut down a customer who is paying good money...)
    I don't know much about the case at hand here, but I can say that ISP's don't always shut off providers for non-payment. I've known several hosts that have had their plugs pulled for either content or their customers sending spam. That is not to say that your assessment of this particular situation isn't right on the money. It may well be. But just for the record, ISP's do sometimes cut off customers that pay good money.

Originally posted by taoofbean
    I want to chime in here as well, not to contribute to any bashing but to share my own well documented experiences.

Like everyone else, I was wary of the promises at such amazing rates but got transcript promises from Shawn directly telling me he would stand by the claims and refund all my money if they fell through. I then asked the simple question of where Cyberwings was filed as a company. .Then the **** hit the fan.

I called the state of Maine and they told me all corporations, sole proprietorships or not must be filed with the state and that there was no record of any Cyberwings beyond a few expired name reservations. When I just asked Shawn to clarify what the situation was he retorted by calling my questioning "pathetic" and "petty."

Cyberwings has since then filed as a corporation with the state of Maine. Nit picking like you allege, Swish? Perhaps all of the off balance sheet accounting Enron and Worldcom did was nit picking as well. But not when it is with my money!
    DO a little more research, CW has been for alot longer then that..It shows a date of last year... This had been covered in Chat..check the logs on their page.

Just because one registers a domain named hostingcompany.com several years ago does not make them an actual corprate entity. Swish I am very ssupicious of your blind allegiance or just blanket ignorance. Cyberwings just had their one year anniversary but where are teh papers that show this company (sole proprietor or not) was filed a year ago. Any business student knows it takes more than a domain name to be credible. Just because he has been hosting people since 1997 doesn't mean it was legal. I did check the chat logs, and Shawn's only response is to "call the state of Maine", and to kick anyone from the chatroom who asks the question.

Since you are such a staunch supporter swish, perhaps you could explain where information lies that explains where magic records exist that contradict my research. Shawn claimed the records existed and he would post them, where is the chat log that shows these thus far ficticious claims. You claim it has been explained but provide no details. The only thing explained is Shawn's continued statement that we have been around and we are not going anywhere.

You would have a hard time right now backing up your staunch support because as of Monday 12 est, there is no site found at cyberwings.com.
    Last edited by taoofbean; 07-08-2002 at 12:43 PM.

Man, this is getting WORSE!

Down. PERIOD. As of 9:50 AM PST on Mon, June 8.

Now my $20 could be gone?

Originally posted by lightnin

I don't know much about the case at hand here, but I can say that ISP's don't always shut off providers for non-payment. I've known several hosts that have had their plugs pulled for either content or their customers sending spam. That is not to say that your assessment of this particular situation isn't right on the money. It may well be. But just for the record, ISP's do sometimes cut off customers that pay good money.
    I don't know. I was reading PC World, and they have an article about spammers, and some spammers claim to pay enough that the ISP looks the other way...

Anyways, I was looking at Anandtech.com forums, and it looks like LS was unhappy with CW's decision to move DC's to VA.

Who knows what is really going on now...

Oh man, these chat logs are hilarious. On CWstatus.com

For those of you who don't know, the only hope of getting any support the last 2 weeks was through IRC chat. I cannot believe these ultimatum statements coming from the CEO. If I don't feel loved by the community then I will stop hemorrahing cash into this poorly run business.

> Willow: Sure, I understand that, but people also need
    to understand that I do not run CW for profit, in fact, I've lost money on this business, so without COMMUNITY SUPPORT & RALLYING behind us, I'm going to feel very disappointed investing ANOTHER $100,000 into this business. I'll do it, either way, but if I don't have the community support & involvement, I'm going to be VERY disappointed. I've already pumped $144,000 in
    <05CEO-Shawn> ------ I'll do it, either way, but if I don't have
    the community support & involvement, I'm going to be VERY disappointed. I've already pumped $144,000 into this business in 12 months.
    * SnuggleB_CWI considers that $144,000 well spent.
    <05Willowdream> i understand that shawn....trust me i do...I AM STILL HERE...if that is any proof to you of my support..
    <05CEO-Shawn> Snuggle - until it comes out of your own pocket CW has not brought in that much, let's just say that.
    <05SnuggleB_CWI> Same here.
    * KGIII_CWV looked and has the logs of kilo's comments
    <05Willowdream> but i just thought that it should be well noted that right about now....actions speak far louder than words..and quite a few of your loyal customers are waiting for action instead of more words
    <05CEO-Shawn> I love my business, I love the community, but unless I see some major community-wide support here, I'll just bring Maine back online and let the rest work itself out. Regardless, future prices will be going UP and people will be paying more premium prices for our services."

CEO-Shawn: Talks with LS are not going well, services are not
    active at this moment. I may be flying to Maine immediately to pickup our servers and plug them back in in Virginia tonight. We already have Class C's in Virginia ready to roll. Not sure yet how things will turn out, but we are all HOT under the collars today.
    Last edited by taoofbean; 07-08-2002 at 01:16 PM.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast