Thread: Parrot posts

Parrot posts

I've been noticing parrot posts happening much more frequently on WHT in the last few weeks.

Basically, one person will give out useful information, then a few hours later, someone else will post the same exact info, in a shorter post in order to, what I can only assume, flash their sig.

Basically, do we really need to report every post and seem like we're harassing the mods, or will the practice be clearly defined in the rules?

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony
    Basically, do we really need to report every post and seem like we're harassing the mods, or will the practice be clearly defined in the rules?
    Feel free to report them.

It doesn't only happen for nefarious reasons. Sometimes posters don't read every post in a thread.
    There is no best host. There is only the host that's best for you.

I've been noticing parrot posts happening much more frequently on WHT in the last few weeks.

Basically, one person will give out useful information, then a few hours later, someone else will post the same exact info, in a shorter post in order to, what I can only assume, flash their sig.

I notice a lot of hosts do this too now in the dedicated section..

"I'm sure you can find ____ within your budget by looking through the offers section"

just to show their sig and try and convert the thread starter.

Sometimes posters don't read every post in a thread.

You mean like that?
    Big things coming soon

Quote Originally Posted by SoftWareRevue
    Sometimes posters don't read every post in a thread.
    Some times?
    Your one stop shop for decentralization

Here's my favorite type of parrot which seems to become more of a problem.

I'm reading the VPS forum, some n00b asks for VPS recommendations then you see 3 posts in a row from VPS providers flashing their sigs. They're all saying the same thing, "check the VPS hosting offers forum". No $#@! Sherlock!

Ok I feel better.

It's not just the VPS forum that's being affected

It's not just the VPS forum that's being affected
    I know but I recently bought 3 VPS's and there seem to be fewer n00b's in there asking "Which plan is right for me? I want 15GB/200GB with 100% uptime and $10 per month ... plz help me" posts.

Quote Originally Posted by SoftWareRevue
    Feel free to report them.

It doesn't only happen for nefarious reasons. Sometimes posters don't read every post in a thread.
    Look at this http://webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?p=4361523

Right after my post (#2) a dedicated host flashed his sig (#3) with basically the same thing as I said
    Email: info ///at/// honelive.com

I don't know how vBulletin customizable, but how about disabling sigs in these particular forums (webhosting, dedicated, co-lo, vps, reseller, managed)
    DigiPun.ch
    An Awesome Digital Punch Clock
    Release date: October 1st

vB is very customisable. Takes a few "ticks" to turn them off. If they wanted to say something though without their sigs showing, all they have to do is untick the "Show your signature" under the post box.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimmikat
    vB is very customisable. Takes a few "ticks" to turn them off. If they wanted to say something though without their sigs showing, all they have to do is untick the "Show your signature" under the post box.
    I think what he was getting at is, there would be less parrot posts if they couldn't show their signature

One can't really control "parrot posts" but one can control signatures. I say get rid of them signatures.

This has been debated to death already.

Anyways, my 2 cents...

Ignore em'. Most of WHT is aware of this little phenomenon, so why do these posts really matter? Unless the post is a blatantly obvious attempt at sig spam, so what? If somebody recommends Softlayer, and a reseller of Softlayer comes along and recommends them, can we really say "that is sig spam"? No, we can't, becuase the reseller of Softlayer must deal with them [SL] every day, so the reseller would obviously know a lot about the company they are reselling for.

We have to trust that the OP is smart enough to see what is sig spam and what isn't, and choose a company that they feel is trustworthy and respectable. Turning signatures off probably won't solve the problem, people will still post in order to flash their Website button, and I think the forums look rather naked without signatures.

Alex

Hosting Discussion - web hosting community.

Is your company represented?

Quote Originally Posted by Artashes

The practice is clearly defined.

Signature Spam (a post that was made in hopes of showing a signature, as determined by moderators) is forbidden in all forum categories.

Alex

Just saw this Thread and i never really looked at Sig this way :-s anyways i still want to help in every post if i can so i will change my sig

-Navid
    Giving up does not always means you are weak, it Simply means you are strong to let go!