This can be done, right??? Need quick help!

I have a friend who I'm trying to help out. I'm letting him upload 4 gig sized dvd file to my account. He then needs to let his clients be able to access a password protected area of my website so that they can download this dvd file. It's going to be able 15-20 people who need to download it from my account. This won't cause problems on the server... would it?

This is where he will send his clients to download the dvd files from here but it will be in a folder called "files":
    http://65.98.6.58/~discover/

Note: I'll be password protecting the above url and this is where his clients will have to download the dvd files from.

They will be "video_ts file" files.

I have a rather silly question here... but his clients WILL be able to download the file from the above URL, right? Because I opened notepad... typed some things into it and then saved it as a text document and then uploaded it. Then I went to the above URL and saw the file I had just uploaded and then tried to download it... but there was no way to download it?

Please help... if I waste his time and make him upload his 4gig dvd file and then he cannot download it from the above URL he's going to kill me... and I'm worried that 20 people downloading that huge 4 gig file from my account will cause problems on the server?

20 times 4 equals 80... does that mean I would be using 80 gig on my account? Oops wait a second... am I having a brainfart or would this be using 80 gig on my account? Maybe this wasn't such a good idea...
    Last edited by Frosty; 02-06-2007 at 02:34 PM.

You won't be able to download a file greater than 2 GB through apache unless it is custom compiled.
    Apache can process only files less than 2 GB
    David | www.cliffsupport.com
    Affordable Server Management Solutions sales AT cliffsupport DOT com
    CliffWebManager | Access WHM from iPhone and Android

Oh shoot.... so what do I know? It is a 4gig dvd file... would it cause problems on the server to allow 20 people to downlaod this file once it has been uploaded? I need an answer fast because he has already started to upload this file and he's going to be upset if I wasted his time...

I am worried this won't cause problems on the server would it? I mean server load wise or anything? he has a 4 gig dvd file he has to upload... then he needs to allow 20 people to download this dvd file. They are his business clients who need to download this dvd file and I let him use my account...

And files CAN be downloaded as shown in my earlier link, right? I mean files CAN be downloaded? because I wasn't able to download my test text file... it would only open it... how would I download it without using FTP and only trying to download the file from my previous url I showed you in my first post????
    Last edited by Frosty; 02-06-2007 at 02:50 PM.

As I told, you cannot download a 4 GB file through apache.
    So there is no meaning in telling about the load and resource usage.

So how can this be done? I am trying to help him. Also I have access to this server... whereas I could temporarly chnage it to allow 4 gig downlaod therefore I do NEED to know if ti would cause problems on the server?

Split the file using RAR, or some other archiving tool.

will this cause problems on the server though?I mean allowing 20 people to download a 4 gig file???? Or I worried about nothing?

Quote Originally Posted by Frosty
    So how can this be done? I am trying to help him. Also I have access to this server... whereas I could temporarly chnage it to allow 4 gig downlaod therefore I do NEED to know if ti would cause problems on the server?
    I am repeating, you cannot make apache able to download the file if it is more than 2 GB.
    Then what is your server specs?
    20 people downloading such files will surely eat up your resources unless you are running a super computer.

I see, on second thought I have chnaged my mind anyway... I'd rather not have a file that large on ym account in the first place with 15 or 20 people then downlaoding it.

He has an account at godaddy... I called godaddy and they told me that uploading and downloading the 4 gig file would be just fine even if 20 people were to then download it... it would just use a lot of bandwidth. They told me their server does allow a 4 gig file upload and that the file would not need to be split in half.

Why is it that godaddy's server does not have the 2 gig limit? Is the 2 gig limit standard for apache? I suppose this means that godaddy tweaked apache to allow a larger file above 2 gig?

So I'm going to tell him to simply upload the file to godaddy and then have his clients download it from there.

I don't know if godaddy servers allow a 4gb download (in terms of apache); about the bandwidth I think there is no problem; but splitting the files will allow users to have a more efficient download, because they can download pieces faster, and if the download fails they'll just download the missing part, not the whole 4gb again (also that will save you bandwidth)

I see thanks, yes godaddy told me that the 4 gig file would upload/download with no problems... that they don't have a 2 gig limit. Is 2 gig limit STANDARD or something?

Why is it that godaddy is no problem but on a standard cpanel dedicated server it is a problem?

The server specs my account is on is:

Dual Opteron 246 Processor
    2 Gigabyte PC3200 ECC DDR RAM
    Dual 200GB SATA Drives
    32Bit Cetos Enterprise Operating System
    2000GB Bandwidth

I guess godaddy tweaked apache to allow the 4 gig file??? So if I tell my friend to split his file it should be fine on my account... but then when his client's download the split file... they aren't technical people... they won't know how to combine the files into a single file again.

This is a pain in the neck!

I should just use godaddy in that case... how can I find out if the server my account is on does not allow 4 gig file?

if its a standard dvd layout it'll be a load of smaller files (vts_0_1.vob etc) that are usually less than 2gb in size each. so apache should serve them

Shoot now I cancelled his upload... so I should have left it then... arggh!

Apache version 2.2.0 can handle files > 2Gb. Their servers, if having apache version 1.33, will be custom compiled to handle files > 2Gb. To see which version of apache easily , take a non-existent page in the browser, as www.yourdomain.com/no-file.html and you can see the apache version.

Apache/1.3.37

Is the version I'm using. But it is a dvd file... so like somebody here said it will not consist of a single 4 gig file but rather several small ones?

He said he started the upload and it is only 3% done and it was started a long time ago. It's such a big file it's loading slow. I hope it it a several little files and not a single big file? He says he cannot tell....

But if I tell his clients to download the file from here:
    http://65.98.6.58/~discover/

Can they download it from here? because they wouldn't be logging in via ftp to download it... I want them to visit that link (once I password protect it) and then download it from there... it CAN be downloaded like that right?

I hope so because when I tried to download a test text file from that link... I couldn't download it?

Why don't you have him upload it to a ftp account, and simply show his business users how to use smart ftp real fast? Seems quite logical to me.
    -DPI
    Chicago's #1 Datacenter Technician

Well, why dont you put a test.txt file there so we can try? You should be able to download files this way.
    Last edited by Infinix; 02-06-2007 at 04:48 PM.
    Damian | i n f i n i x | Are you a hosting refugee?

DPI,

The reason I didn't do that was because he didn't want his clients to have access to the main ftp for some silly reason. he wanted me to setup an area where they had to input a separate login.

Infinix,
    Here is the url where his clients want to download the file from:
    http://www.technicaldepot.net/jerry/
    un: discover
    pw: dis159

I uploaded a test textfile like you suggested... I guess you can't just click on it for it to download... it makes you open the file first and then I can download it?... silly me I guess I was doing it wrong. So his client SHOULD be able to download the files like this... can you double check... I mean it looks like you can but I'm not positive... having a brainfart today...

it's not downloading it like a normal downloadable file.. it's strange...
    Last edited by Frosty; 02-06-2007 at 05:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Frosty
    DPI,

The reason I didn't do that was because he didn't want his clients to have access to the main ftp for some silly reason. he wanted me to setup an area where they had to input a separate login.

Infinix,
    Here is the url where his clients want to download the file from:
    http://www.technicaldepot.net/jerry/
    un: discover
    pw: dis159

I uploaded a test textfile like you suggested... I guess you can't just click on it for it to download... it makes you open the file first and then I can download it?... silly me I guess I was doing it wrong. So his client SHOULD be able to download the files like this... can you double check... I mean it looks like you can but I'm not positive... having a brainfart today...

it's not downloading it like a normal downloadable file.. it's strange...
    Right clicking on the file, save target as is what works in internet explorer. (to make a save as prompt)
    Hello

ok thanks.. so I'm all set it should work then.