* Remember the first time?

Looking for some advice on setting up an 'entry' dedicated server.

I want to host a download site on a dedicated server: a free online audio library. For now 2000 files averaging 3MB. (+ some private sites)...

While I dont expect more than 2000 downloads a day a first, a site like this could easily explode in terms of downloads, as well as heavier forum activity (40.000 daily downloads).

So 500GB traffic would do at first. But a solution with unmetered bandwith would keep the site alive, if it 'exploded' in terms of traffic.

But what would be the appropriate high road to go on in terms of hardware and software. I figure I have to make a 12 month commitment on the server. And the plan is to make this site free, so I have to have a decent overall compromise.

Questions
    What should I do regarding type of traffic: metered, unmetered and so on?
    OS - Should I use access or sql, to tackle the database? (Easiest for me to run a LAMP setup, and just use an open source CMS, but will it do?).
    How much RAM. 512MB could run the project at first, but is probably not reliable if people find out the site exists.
    Do I need a processor based on server technology ie Opteron or could a cheap Celeron run it (How is the balance between L2 cache compared to RAM)?

And what about all the other important things? All the things I havent even considered...

Please, all advice is appreciated, as I want to make a somewhat informed decision first time round.

You absolutely don't have to, and shouldn't, make a 12 month commit on a server. Most server contracts are month to month and I would be highly leary of signing a 12 month contract on a dedicated server.

The rest, someone else can fill you in on.

--Tina
    ||| 99.999% Uptime SLA!!!
    Plenty of space and bandwidth to fit your needs!
    www.AEIandYou.com - - (WP Friendly - Premium Reseller Hosting and Cheap Dedicated Servers)

Traffic - choose what you need. I wouldn't choose unmetered unless you need it. It could be a great thing though, in case you get a surge of traffic.

OS - LAMP is fine, CentOS/Apache/PHP/MySQL

RAM - I would get atleast 1gb, depending on how many users you have

Processor - You need a good one if you have a MySQL intensive site. I wouldn't get a celeron if I were you.

Also, not every provider has a 12 month contract. Most providers usually have month to month contracts.
    Hello

Something like a core2duo would probably do just fine for you in the early stages, with 1-2gb of ram. An 80GB drive would also suit well, seeing as how the mp3's would only take up ~6gb, you'd have plenty of room for your other sites and such.

I'll second Tailseh's opinion with the LAMP setup too.

Something you'll want to consider. Some hosts get real weirded out when your talking about mp3 hosting, make sure your host knows this, and show them that it's legal before anything is purchased.
    -DPI
    Chicago's #1 Datacenter Technician

Guess it doesnt change much, but downloads has to be high quality .wav - but thanks for noting HD space. Just figured 80GB would do at first.
    What about mirrored harddisks? Raid and such... nothing to worry about?

Nice to hear that a years commitment isnt nessesary. Makes it so very much easier.

Also, would it matter were the hosts DC is (which continent). Could I serve European users with a American host - what bandwith well give acceptable results cross the Atlantic?

Quote Originally Posted by AH-Tina
    You absolutely don't have to, and shouldn't, make a 12 month commit on a server. Most server contracts are month to month and I would be highly leary of signing a 12 month contract on a dedicated server.

The rest, someone else can fill you in on.

--Tina
    As the saying goes "You took the words right out of my mouth" ...
    or more accurately, you took the taps right out of my fingers

OP: You should make sure you know what you are getting into if you are going to commit for a year. Hopefully the commitment is rewarded with a huge discount.

Also consider that if you site grows as anticipated, you may be in a situation where you want to update or change servers mid contract. This may be accomodated if you stay with the same datacenter, however, it may cost you, if you decide to switch.

I have entered into dozens of contracts for servers over the last 9 years. I have only committed for a year on two occasions. Once it didn't matter but the other time it cost me (although not greatly).

That said, a year does seem to go by very quickly now a days

Other considerations:

Backups - more than one set with some offsite but instantly accesible
    (Maybe an Rsync as well ... and raid too).
    I have successfully used www.bqinternet.com www.interserver.net and gnax for backup locations.

Hardware - Unless you are on a really tight budget, buy more than you need. What seems satisfactory now will seem cheesy in 6 or 8 months.

Emergencies - find a good 3rd party admin who can help you in emergencies (tricky problems, compromises, recoveries and prevention or repeats, security reviews, opinions, etc.) I would recommend one, but this thread might spin out of control so it is best to do a search to find one.

Terms of Service - Read it. Simple advice that is very often disregarded LOL.

24/7/365 -- tickets or phone?
    If phone, try it (although some don't give out the emergency support numbers until you are a customer ... which is reasonable)

Big or Small supplier - large datacenters can offer cheap deals but the support can sometimes seem cold ... smaller companies tend to care a bit more (this is a pretty loose generalization and I may deserve some flaming lol).

Expenses - expect unforseen expenses. I can't tell you WHAT they will be ... but I can tell you that they WILL BE ...

Hope this helps someone ...

Update

@oshawa - really some good replies. Can't thank you enough.

Thought it would be appropriate to update how far I've come in terms of making an informed decision:

Found this root server

AMD Athlon 64 3700+
    1 GB DDR400 RAM
    2 x 160 GB SATA
    1 Gbit OnBoard
    LAMP, Debian and Webmin.
    6 IPs

Free traffic (I'm told I'll be cut to a bit under 10 Mbit/s if I go way over 1 TB) and need to apply for more over the admin interface. Seems fair enough. Also to fit my initial needs.

Only one months commitment

Third party management deal.

Seperate cheap entry server - I can muck around with as backup and learn the ropes.

Anyway, would this cover my initial needs and actually hold up if there is a surge in traffic. If not - do I need to update to 2 GB ram or go for something different like Core2 Duo 6600?

Free traffic? But if you go over 1TB they cap you to less than 10MB/s? So technically speaking you're capped to less than 3TB if you can manage to pump 10MB/s consistently. Sounds shady to me - keep it on the month-to-month contract.
    "If life doesn't offer a game worth playing, invent a new one"

Not shady. I believe theres a few on WHT that use this offer. You have to ask through the web panel to get more. After a few days you are allowed 250GB more... Do a search on Hetzner.de - Germans app. have cheap bandwidth.

But you can say it isnt really unmetered. But, at least, partially. If I go that way I will be keeping it on a monthly basis.