Thread: Smtp Servers?

Smtp Servers?

We have a reseller account with no SMTP server at all and one reseller account which has an SMTP server but you cant send email to certain isp's such as AOL.
    we tell customers to use postcastserver but is there any other way around this?

Set up your own smtp server somewhere?

What kind of reseller account or ISP doesn't have an smtp server you can use?
    - joey

Donhost and AOL
    but you didnt listen, with the one i have with an smtp server the server is bloacked by AOL, BT and several other ISP's and this applies to most smtp servers, even friendsd i have with rtheir own servers have this problem.

Eh, I never said anything about AOL. If you setup your own smtp server and make sure you don't get blacklisted, problem solved.

Have your friends close open-relay on their servers and get off blacklists too.
    - joey

Reverse DNS

Also, many are now requiring you have a reverse DNS in order to accept mail from you.

One more issue...some of your ISP's will not allow you to send from port 25, so you need to set up an additional smtp port.

Check the IP of the server that has SMTP to the SPAM listing of block IP addresses... Someone that had that IP before you could have been put on the block list. I had that issue once a while back.

----
    Timothy Sheehan
    Last edited by Chicken; 07-01-2002 at 08:16 PM.

Its not just the server i use though, its several of my friends and has ahppened on a few servers i use, i think its something to do with port 25 but then thats what postcastserver uses and that works

SMTP

We just have our clients use their ISP's SMTP. In fact, many hosts are these days, since it's generally much faster and you don't have to worry about getting blacklisted and all the other difficulties that come along with offering full relay.

Adam yeah we try to do that, the problem is when the client uses AOL as their isp LOL don't we all just love AOL

Yep I was wondering also how hosts handle AOL clients. I am not sure if you can set your 'from' email address to be something under a different domain and send through AOL, I am not familiar with it.

But, I did see that if you are dialled in through AOL, whenever you try to open a tcp port 25 connection to any internet host, you are 'redirected' to an AOL smtp server.

Mark
    tqhosting.com