a $15 bid for 'php hosting' at Overture

Hi all,

Please do a search for 'php hosting' at overture.com. You will find that the first bid is $15.

Is that profitable?

Thanks,

Ahmed
    Ahmed Ghazi
    Nozol.com - We host your dreams

Well there are sites that offer unlimited everything for $5 a year...

yes, you are right

So, let say you have a lot of money, would you put a $15 bid in Overture?

If the answer is no, so why is there such a bid?
    Ahmed Ghazi

iPowerWeb
    This forum officially ****ing sucks

They probably wanted to type in $5 and did $15 instead. It would be stupid to offer $15 when the runner up is offering $4.15.
    (SH)Saeed

I mean realy why?
    Ahmed Ghazi

Originally posted by (SH)Saeed
    They probably wanted to type in $5 and did $15 instead. It would be stupid to offer $15 when the runner up is offering $4.15.
    I do not think so, they also put $10 for other keywords also, like 'affordable hosting'.
    Ahmed Ghazi

Originally posted by nozol
    I do not think so, they also put $10 for other keywords also, like 'affordable hosting'.
    I guess they just have too much money then..

Actually, I can think of one reason why they would put such high bids. Maybe they don't want to have to check the listing every few minutes to see if they're still #1 on all lists. This way they can check it once a week or so. Instead of paying someone to sit there and updating their bids, they put that money on raising their bids.
    (SH)Saeed

Overture Change

Overture is making a change, whereby you will only pay what is necessary to be number one, but you can have a larger amount entered-sort of like a proxy bid. I do not know which be will then display.

So, in the past you could pay an unnecessary amount, where now you will pay the least required for the position.

That's a good feature to have on a PPCSE. However, our experience with Overture was simply a waste of money.
    (SH)Saeed

sport clicking anyone? ughh

Re: Overture Change

Originally posted by Incognito
    Overture is making a change, whereby you will only pay what is necessary to be number one, but you can have a larger amount entered-sort of like a proxy bid. I do not know which be will then display.
    What displays now at Overture is, just as the listing says, your "maximum bid amount." What you're actually paying is $.01 above your next lowest competitors maximum bid amount.

As I see "PHP hosting" right now, the top listing is paying $4.16 per click with a maximum bid of $15. The site listed second has a maxmimum bid amount of $4.15, but is currently paying $2.98 (assuming, that is, that these advertisers have chosen to use the auto bid feature; you can still opt for "old fashioned" fixed bids).
    Specializing in SEO and PPC management.

Why the hell did you say "do a search for 'php hosting' at overture.com"? Are you just trying to get people to to click the link and waste iPowerWeb's advertising campaine? You could have been a bit more skilled in writing the post and maybe not suggested everyone do a search or not mentioned the actual keyword.

I compare this to and consider it just as bad as posting an advert about your own web host. Instead of making potiential clients for your own host you are simply taking them away from your compition by costing them $15000 of sport clicking.

ALL you guys have more than likely cost iPowerWeb $15000 dollars. 160 ppl have viewed this post and im sure at least 100 ppl have clicked on the overture link.

Web Hosting Talk is turning into a kids playground.

Originally posted by vSector
    Why the hell did you say "do a search for 'php hosting' at overture.com"? Are you just trying to get people to to click the link and waste iPowerWeb's advertising campaine? You could have been a bit more skilled in writing the post and maybe not suggested everyone do a search or not mentioned the actual keyword.

I compare this to and consider it just as bad as posting an advert about your own web host. Instead of making potiential clients for your own host you are simply taking them away from your compition by costing them $15000 of sport clicking.

ALL you guys have more than likely cost iPowerWeb $15000 dollars. 160 ppl have viewed this post and im sure at least 100 ppl have clicked on the overture link.

Web Hosting Talk is turning into a kids playground.

Why you're asking?

Human nature

I don't do it, but it's strange that sometimes I hear the same advertisers complaining about $0.15 per click (at the end of their campaign) when on overture they are paying over $10 per click...
    Marketing For Hosting Companies:

Why am i asking?

I want to know if Nozol did this. Was it just to bump up the competitors advertising costs?

I did not say anything about iPowerWeb complaining, I mentioned the fact that nozol has ruined their advertising and its pathetic.
    ...::: HOST APPROVAL :::...
    Web Hosting Directory
    http://www.hostapproval.com/
    http://www.hostapproval.com/hostadmin/add_your_host.php

Originally posted by vSector
    While I understand what you're saying, and encouraging people do engage in "sport clicking" is nearly as wrong as actually doing it -- regardless of who the target is, right is right and wrong is wrong -- I don't think that's what was done here at all, and I don't think your estimates are at all accurate.

These are pay per click listings. Even if 100 people clicked on the Overture link, how many then clicked on the listing? I know I did the first, but not the second -- and ipowerweb doesn't pay just for the link being displayed.

And, one more time, they are paying about $4 per click, not $15.
    Specializing in SEO and PPC management.