Local ISPs, and their hosting services

I live in an area that is NOT very far along in terms of technology. (Cable came this month)

There are, I think, 3 local ISPs. They all provide dialup service and hosting.

Though I would like to support local business (especially because of the recent "hard times"), I am somewhat reluctant to have my site hosted at one of these local ISPs. This is mainly because of:
    A. the price
    B. If cable just came this month, what kind of connection are they on
    C. The hosting facilities leave a lot to be desired. (think basement or back room.

Do any of you have experience with local providers.

I suppose i could go around town to the ISPs and talk to them, but I would feel like quite as ass, asking for reasons why i should host with them rather than with an established datacenter.

thanks for any insight

Ohio, Michigan, Indiana
    I worked for a local provider and here is what I can tell you about my experience there:

Price: Much higher for what you get. Example: $25 gets you basic Unix/NT hosting, no bells and whistles, 1 email account, 25mb space, bandwidth wasn't really monitored

Connection: If it's a legitimate ISP, chances are it's gonna be a decent connection. The company I worked for primarily provided dial-up. They had 4 T1s dedicated to dialup and 3 for hosting/office.

Location: Hosting customers were in a locked room with.... make-do racks and VEEEEEEERY expensive power backup. The building was air conditioned, and the server room was about 2 doors down from all of the execs as well as the techs.

Basically, if you were looking for a ton of options, it was not the way to go, but for personal sites and large businesses, it was perfect. The SUPPORT was what people paid for.
    Complx Internet Services
    Hosting - Colocation - Domains - Dialup
    [email protected]