Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Do Not Host With Donhost!!!! Ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It is rare that I hate a company with such a passion as I hate donhost. They have COMPLETELY SCREWED ME OVER. I started my web hosting business based off a "donhost" reseller account. HUGE MISTAKE! Well my company (lowest cost host . com) was doing very well, I had been spending hours upon hours promoting / designing and providing tech support (I would usually respond in less than 10 min). I was doing everything possible to run a very affordable and great hosting company. Well good ole' DonHost decide 5 days before my next payment is due that they would inform me that "My account is using an exccessive amount of human resources" Which is the biggest line of BULL **** I HAVE EVER HEARD. I was using about 3GB of space and 20GB/Month Transfer and hosting approx. 500-600 domains. And that I would have to host elsewhere. Is that at all reasonable? Giving me 5 days to find a new provider and setup all of those accounts???? Unreal..... I offered to pay more for the exccessive "human resources" I was supposedly consuming, but they gave me no other option. Thanks for the sleepless weeks and hours upon hours up hours of work and thousands of lost advertising dollars spent donhost! YOUR THE BEST! Oh yeah and if that isn't enough after they kicked me off they kept charging my credit card for the account, and when I tried to email them to tell them no response.... I had to sumbit a chargeback and hopefully I get the money back from those bastards. Luckly we found another GREAT host remarkablehosting and now have a decidated server with them, and also a dedicated server with rackshack (both great comapnies). SO ANYONE THAT READS THIS PLEASE LISTEN TO ME; HOST ANYWHERE I MEAN ANYWHERE BUT NOT DONHOST!!!!!!!!!
      0 Not allowed!

I heard you and very LOUD!
      0 Not allowed!

As I see it, you had reached the limit of your Donhost reseller account anyway, it comes with 20 Gigs of bandwidth. To get more bandwidth you would have had to pay the "small surcharge of 15 per 1000 MB".

Well, of course that doesn't justify they stopped working with you.

But according to their TOS they have the right to do it:
    6.3 We reserve the right to suspend the Services and/or terminate this Agreement at any time. In the event of this You will be entitled to a pro rata refund based upon the remaining period of prepayment.
    The lesson to learn from this is, that one better not work with a company having such stupid terms of service.

Which raises the question: Are for example the RackShack TOS any better?
    15. Suspension of Service or Cancellation: RackShack reserves the right to suspend network access to any customer if in the judgment of the RackShack network administrators the customer's server is the source or target of the violation of any of the other terms of the AUP or for any other reason which RackShack chooses.
    From reading the TOS I have the impression, RackShack would have the right to screw you over in pretty much the same way.
      0 Not allowed!

Everyone knows donhost sucks....
    You should have researched

Good Luck..
    Nothing Special: True Archive , just my lil archive for fun... maybe turn into something more?
      0 Not allowed!

they shouldnt have done that, i agree but 20gb is their bandwidth limit, they are hung up on only allowing one reseller per customer which is a pain
      0 Not allowed!

God help remarkablehosting !!

600 domains in a reseller account? Greed...you should have went dedicated before now.....
    Jonny b
    http://www.vibus.net
    UK Reseller, Dedicated & Collocation Accounts
      0 Not allowed!

Join the club!
    Jim
      0 Not allowed!

The lesson to learn from this is, that one better not work with a company having such stupid terms of service.
    I don't know if the terms themselves are stupid. My company uses similar language as do most hosting providers. It's necessary to provide you with the ability to cancel an account if need be. Granted, it's a broad statement, open to abuse by an unscrupulous provider. However, just because it's in the TOS doesn't mean it will be abused by the provider.

I'll never understand hosts that behave this way, when they should have some sort of system in place to allow a user to upgrade his/her account. It's just common sense. If you don't allow room for the customer to grow, you're going to lose the customer and chances increase that the customer will leave with hard feelings.

With 500 to 600 accounts, I would have suggested a dedicated machine myself. However, making an ultimatum and forcing the client to make decisions to move the account within 5 days is not an answer IMHO.
      0 Not allowed!

hey i missed the 600 domains part, i know a guy who put that many on a dedicated and the dedicated started getting probs, so god knows what it would do to a shared server !!
      0 Not allowed!

Three Points

1-They should have given you more notice or an alternative.

However,

2-They said "human resources" not other resources. I, therefore, would take that to relate to support tickets, setup, anything else they had to do. Also, I would imagine with 500-600 accounts under one reseller account there would be more support issues than typical.

3-Your chosen id here says a lot-"lowest priced". When you look for or intend to be the lowest priced, you will always encounter some problems. Value priced is one thing, but absolute lowest will never work.

However, none of this negates what I said in point #1 or the issue of the frequency with which they close accounts. But, it is part of their business model. Price Cheap. Get rid of those who take advantage of what you sold them.
      0 Not allowed!

Hello,
    Thanks for your replies; I was on donhost when they had 50GB transfer per month (before they moved it to 20GB) so I was well under that amount. Also I DO NOT HAVE 600 domains on one server. I have about 350 on remarkable hostings server and it is running fine. Almost all of the sites I am hosting are small so there really is no problems. I have about another 350 on the rackshack server. But again 99% of the sites are very small so the server can easily handle the load.
      0 Not allowed!

2-They said "human resources" not other resources. I, therefore, would take that to relate to support tickets, setup, anything else they had to do. Also, I would imagine with 500-600 accounts under one reseller account there would be more support issues than typical.

I contacted them once with a support question, that was it (ONLY ONE!). I think it had to do with having to check so many sites files, but I would have glady done that myself if they gave me the tools or I would have paid them more for the more time they had to spend on my account........but they gave me no alternitives, just closed the account (and kept billing me for it!).

3-Your chosen id here says a lot-"lowest priced". When you look for or intend to be the lowest priced, you will always encounter some problems. Value priced is one thing, but absolute lowest will never work.

I would have to disagree. I have been working quite hard and am providing a very cost effective hosting solution ($29.99) per year for 1000MB Space / Bandwidth. And other than donhost have had no problems. My customers are very happy I get complemented often; the only time I had angry customers was when donhost kicked me off and I had to move everyones sites.
    Last edited by lowestpriced; 07-01-2002 at 07:45 PM.
      0 Not allowed!

with over 500 domains ... why you still with donhost

its your own fault

for 39.99 a month ( ish ) WTF do u expect ??

Hello .. this is UK prices here
    : UTADMIN : Carl :
      0 Not allowed!

yes you should have gotten a dedicated server much sooner. HOWEVER donhost should have given you more then 5 days to move 500 accounts.
      0 Not allowed!

Shouldve read up on donhost before you went with them.
    Patrick Schrader
      0 Not allowed!

Well DonHost does offer "Unlimited Hosting Accounts"... so there really shouldn't have been a problem. The sites I host are small and all together I really didn't use that much bandwidth or diskspace
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by Drewcifer
    I don't know if the terms themselves are stupid. My company uses similar language as do most hosting providers. It's necessary to provide you with the ability to cancel an account if need be.
    Oh you need that ability......
    The customer, doesn't he also have needs??? Of course he does.
    So shouldn't the TOS take into account the interests of both parties? Well, I think so.
    Granted, it's a broad statement, open to abuse by an unscrupulous provider. However, just because it's in the TOS doesn't mean it will be abused by the provider.
    If the contract gives the host the right to suspend/cancel anytime for whatever reason, so if he does suspend/cancel without warning for whatever reason, that's making use of his contractual rights, not abusing them.

If one wants to talk about abuse, then it's the hosts drafting such terms of service, which give all rights to the host and none to the customer. He abuses the confidence of those customers who don't know the industry and, in their believe that terms of service are normally "reasonable" for both parties, sign up without actually reading them.

In any case such TOS should be inacceptable to a customer who is aware of them. Because one of his most basic needs, the need to keep his site up and running, is not guaranteed. So, if you want, it's not the TOS that are stupid, but rather the client who accepts them

TOS can be drafted in pretty vague terms to give the Host the freedom he needs, without leaving the customer without any rights at all. To me TOS like "I reserve the right to suspend/cancel services anytime for whatever reason" are unfortunate for ethical reasons and possibly unenforcable for legal reasons. TOS have to guarantee a minimum of equity, IMHO.
      0 Not allowed!

If i was a host and someone was hosting 600 domains on a $30/month account...i would have canceled them too.
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by Frosty
    If i was a host and someone was hosting 600 domains on a $30/month account...i would have canceled them too.
    Exactly....their 'human resources' pitch will basically translate to 'you've taken the piss'.....

Then again, thats what you get for offering 'unlimited' domains

Eventually hosts will learn........eventually.....

Cheers,
    Jonny b
    http://www.vibus.net
    UK Reseller, Dedicated & Collocation Accounts
      0 Not allowed!

Hello,
    I do understand that, but I would have paid more... Not being able to provide what you have listed is fraud is it not? I would have glady paid 200-300 month, but again that was not an option. And BTW I had a reseller pro account so I had windows and unix for $140/month and I also had 50GB and 20GB transfer alloted for each server type.
      0 Not allowed!

Donhost can be bad, its a fact.....its also false advertising, brach of contract and its against the sale of goods act (all UK laws since they are a uk comp) Unfortunately no-one will do anything about it so they continue to get away with it.
    Unless you are willing to spend time and money taking them to court, notthing can be done.
      0 Not allowed!

tazd9t9:

I just went to your site and it looks like you are using donhost as well.... once you get your co. to the size where you can start making some money they will shut you down, I would get off them now!
      0 Not allowed!

Do a search, Donhost isn't very popular around here anyways.
      0 Not allowed!

hey who said DonHost is bad huh!

DonHost is so good, i can point many points of their goodyness.

1) donhost control panel is best. why no applause?? ok..ok.. i don't like to use it as i think its from stone age... but so what? stone is reliable na..

2) Donhost wash clean your mailbox every 3 months. All read and unread emails GONE for GOOD, though you're in only 10% of the allocated WebSpace.
    I personally like this. No emails in your mailbox suddenly. All old client contacts gone. So you feel started business fresh every 3 months. I brought myself a 3 months stopwatch and asked my customers also to purchase one so to adjust our lifecycle with Donhost mailbox washing cycle.

3) Donhost Support is the best. Atleast best so far i have seen. They chase you down to woods and rip you off. So now I dare to talk with them. So if face any problem, instead i meditate, pray. These are good for health and health is wealth. So you see donhost adds to your wealth.

4) well... hey why no more public to hear me?
    ahh.. people are always like this, i'm telling donhost is best but still they don't want to hear me.

BTW atleast wish me good luck na... as i'm stuck with donhost with annual term...
      0 Not allowed!

DonHost sucks and it is pretty well known all over the web...

How long you been with them?
    How much they pay you to dig up this thread and defend their sorry butts?

Almost a month old thread!

Well if you like them good luck.. but I will tell you we have heard MANY MANY stories about this company as well as were part of one....

DonHost
    Nothing Special: True Archive , just my lil archive for fun... maybe turn into something more?
      0 Not allowed!

HEY!!! read my post once more!!

Please DONHOST from my side too...

I asked Gook luck to me.. not DONHOST as i'm stuck with them for a year....
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by mk123
    as i'm stuck with them for a year....
    Youu haved learned te lesson of prepaying yearly!!!
      0 Not allowed!

yeah thats why i want to give Donhost W2K Reseller account at discount to any Donhost fan...

I feel at least some fans should be out there..
      0 Not allowed!

I'm starting to wonder if anyone has has a good experience with DonHost, i've heard hundreds of horry stories from donhost, but no good ones. If anyone has can you please post it I need a good laugh....
      0 Not allowed!

hey guys this is bad... you people say bad about Donhost and i'm also dragged...

But i'm trying to sell my prepaid Donhost Reseller Account at good discount...
    So with your posts around, how can i sell?
      0 Not allowed!

lowestpriced, i use 2 other reseller accounts too, i only use donhost for really small sites and i plan to leave them next year because they cost so much these days
      0 Not allowed!

Well... I do need another Win2k Server or Reseller account but I would never go back to donhost, anyone know of any good ones??
      0 Not allowed!

Donhost.
    Be aware everytime !
      0 Not allowed!

aye, i only have a small company and when i movemy customers from donhost next jan to my new reseller i will have a lot more profit and they will have much better accounts with cpanel etc
      0 Not allowed!

Doshost W2K Reseller account with great discount.. help the lady and dun talk bad about Donhost (though i also cannot help myself)
    http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showth...threadid=63333
      0 Not allowed!

It's funny. I've had a look at a few Donhost threads this afternoon and there seems to be a few commonalities:

1) Any anti-Donhost rant is usually written by, it seems, a pre-teen (at least going by the spelling and grammar) with a large mouth and a lot of hot air to expel. Very vocal but not very intelligent.

2) Those who are anti-Donhost seem to either be ignorant of the AUP, or have just been intent on milking resources anyhow.

For 35 or so, what kind of reseller experience do you expect?? Seems to be the moon on a stick!

I've used Donhost for over a year and i'm more than happy. The control panel is great, uptime is second to none and i've had no problems.

Think a few people need to think carefully about how they come across in their posts - certainly when they have their 'so-called' company url's in their message footers.

mk123 - think you just need a kick up the arse!
      0 Not allowed!

Well... I do need another Win2k Server or Reseller account but I would never go back to donhost, anyone know of any good ones??
    You could try www.whichhosts.com if you are looking for a UK based resellers plan.
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by lowestpriced
    http://www.hostingyou.co.uk offer windows reseller, have heard only good comments about them.
      0 Not allowed!

dear sco44,

looks like Donhost is your Mother-in-laws co.
    if thats the case, i'm very sorry.

Apart from what you say *rant*.. i have raised many points also.. about their Stone age quality.

Can u please click on the big button Search on the top and type your favourite company's name? all the people cannot be wrong... i think lots and lots of ppl are *ranting* here b4 i joined/ came to know of WHT.

I give credit/praise to the companies who deserve it.. i don't get any discount from them.. or from your donhost, its my own views... if u don't like whenever u see my name, do yourself a favour of skipping it.

i'm getting much much better experience in $25 per month from one of my current provider.. want to try?
    so 35 pounds maybe peanuts for u... maybe u can even give street begger 35 pounds per month.... but sorry pal i'm not rich as you.

yeah sure.. kick i need... actually lots.. on my decision to join Donhost and that also annual plan!!
      0 Not allowed!

hmm
    fasthosts.co.uk
    very good company .........
    i have reseller account there
    Http.co.il - Web Hosting Solutions
      0 Not allowed!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast