Printing Checks?

I know it is kind of an odd ball question, but I have not been able to find a complete answer on this.

Currently we print all of our checks with a run-of-the-mill laser printer and feed them in manually (ie: we pull the paper out and drop the checks in when it is time to print checks), but we really want to switch to a better system of doing this and combine our two laser printers into a single printer.

So my question is, is it possible to take a laser printer with two paper trays, drop in the checks in one tray, the paper in another, and be able to distinguish between the two while printing? Has anyone successfully done this, if so, what printer are you using?
    -Robert Norton
    www.SophMedia.com

You can do that, but you'd be using the MICR ink on all of your documents. We just bought a cheap $99 Dell laser printer for use as a dedicated check printer.

Quote Originally Posted by cbtrussell
    You can do that, but you'd be using the MICR ink on all of your documents. We just bought a cheap $99 Dell laser printer for use as a dedicated check printer.
    Not true. We use preprinted checks that simply require the "Pay To:" name and the amount added.

If you use a check such as this with regular toner you will not have a problem with the Ink as cbtrussel mentioned.

The MICR ink is for when you are printing the check in full, i.e. account information, etc...

You can do what you are asking with a standard 2 tray Laser Printer that allows driver selection between trays.

I would expect most larger printer companies have drivers to do this, but I know for fact HP Drivers allow this.

Yes you can do it. We currently use a very similar setup and print our checks. Our checks come pre-printed and the only information we add to them is the pay to and amount. However, we have made a few errors and printed checks on the plain paper, and printed documents on the check paper (stupid user error)

Joe

You should be able to upgrade to a fancier laser printer with multiple paper trays(then you can select which tray you wish to print to).

So yes, they are out there, but yes, they do get a bit pricey...

Might be better off just buying another inexpensive laser printer to use as a dedicated check printer...
    SkyLineHost.com
    ▓ ▓ Shared hosting that soars above the competition
    ▓ ▓ ▓ Based in Los Angeles. sales@skylinehost.com

I would not be comfortable leaving checks in the printer all of the time even though I have two paper trays. Our checks stay locked in the file cabinet and we only take out the checks to be printed that particular day. I am guessing that those of you who leave checks in the printer either have a high volume of checks to be printed and/or good physical security within your office.

Quote Originally Posted by XSI-Larry
    Not true. We use preprinted checks that simply require the "Pay To:" name and the amount added.
    I guess I assumed he was using MICR ink, else why have two separate printers? If he's using preprinted checks then of course a dual-source printer would be a no-brainer