Thread: Bandwidth

Bandwidth

Hi, I just got two servers from a great friend totally free.
    But, am curious to the bandwidth issue.
    The servers specs are as follows, both being the same,

Intel Pentium III
    1.53GHz Processor
    256 DDR RDRAM
    120GB HardDrive ( 7200RPM I think)
    T-3 Net Connection

What would roughly the bandwidth be on one of the servers? (As for both I'd obviously just roughly double it)
    Ok, thanks for your help!
    (I'm just curious as to the MAX bandwidth I can use, since obviously I can use like 1mb if my max is 100mb)
    Cheers!

A t-3 is 45 megabytes/ second or about 14,500 gigs a month. Of course you may only be allocated 5 gigs on that t-3 or you could have an unlimited connection on that line (doubtful).

You should check with your friend or the isp the servers are on before assuming anything.

I'm currently talking to another friend who is in contact with my other friend. Cause the person who gave me the servers is in California, they just talked on the phone and he apparently told the person I'm now talking to it is unlimited connection.

I'm very curious about this since that seems very doubtful to me as well, the ISP is Cox Communications. Does anyone know anything good/bad about the ISP and maybe someone could clear up about the connection thing to me?

So according to my friend it has unlimited connection, so how much bandwidth is that? (Sorry for all the *dumb* questions, but I never used a T-3 line before and am still shocked he just gave the two servers to me totally for free)

Originally posted by Deus
    I'm currently talking to another friend who is in contact with my other friend. Cause the person who gave me the servers is in California, they just talked on the phone and he apparently told the person I'm now talking to it is unlimited connection.

I'm very curious about this since that seems very doubtful to me as well, the ISP is Cox Communications. Does anyone know anything good/bad about the ISP and maybe someone could clear up about the connection thing to me?

So according to my friend it has unlimited connection, so how much bandwidth is that? (Sorry for all the *dumb* questions, but I never used a T-3 line before and am still shocked he just gave the two servers to me totally for free)
    "A t-3 is 45 megabytes/ second or about 14,500 gigs a month. Of course you may only be allocated 5 gigs on that t-3 or you could have an unlimited connection on that line (doubtful)."

@_@ *confused*

(You think my friend was takin the piss? - I think maybe he was)

I just spoke to the friend who is giving me the servers. He said it has a 14,000 GIG bandwidth connection (Each server has its own T-3 each having 7,000 GIG).
    I'm presuming that sounds more reasonable than unlimited.
    He just moved to some other company he said. Impersiva or something.
    Ok, well thanks for the help, and wierd quote mlip.
    Last edited by Deus; 06-30-2002 at 05:31 PM.

140,000 GIG bandwidth connection

gimme 2 !

doesn't it's too much?
    I mean... it's 350 times a 400GB connection ....
    at RS prices.... about $35,000 a month.

gimme 2 ! gimme 2 !
    CAS Networks SL | Businesss Solutions Provider
    -> www.cascompany.com, IT Related B2B since 1997.
    -> Premium Dedicated Servers & Private Reseller Accounts
    -> Web Design, Corporate Image Design, Graphic Design

Yeah, he pays a bomb for it, I'm just so shocked he is giving it to me TOTALLY free, but I'm not gonna look a gifthorse in the mouth, so I'm takin it and saying my please and thank yous.
    Now I just gotta install all the stuff on it to make it webhosting ready.

Heh
    I suggest you and your friends figure out what exactly you have before you go and start hosting people.
    Especially if you are going to charge money,
    Complx Internet Services
    www.complx.net
    Hosting - Colocation - Domains - Dialup
    [email protected]

How can your friend afford to give you, your own, dedicated, T3 line?

Just as complx.net say ....

put a counter-strike server on it ...
    put a IRC server ont it ...

but don't think in host people in a server that "a friend gives me" ...

Yeah,
    I have no idea how he can iamdave, I haven't accepted anything yet, I've just said thanks and stuff, as I'm still wondering why he is giving it to me for free, and as you say, each comp having a T-3 line - so I'm very iffy on that, he said he can even give me a third one but he must charge me $20/month for that, I'm just wondering why he isn't charging me for the current two free ones.

hmm, yeah, I think I'm first gonna decide whether I should really accept the two or just say sorry I can't before I start even thinking about hosting and stuff with the servers complx.net.

oh well... I have 15 T1 lines... just unused...
    who want to be my friend?
    I can give one to you if you are...
    with server included ....
    anyway... if you want 5 ... I will have to charge you $5 for each one... you know....

what a waste

of space

Thank you for your "kindness"

Hey, thanks Hosticle for your "kind" comments,

Yeah,
    I have no idea how he can iamdave, I haven't accepted anything yet, I've just said thanks and stuff, as I'm still wondering why he is giving it to me for free, and as you say, each comp having a T-3 line - so I'm very iffy on that, he said he can even give me a third one but he must charge me $20/month for that, I'm just wondering why he isn't charging me for the current two free ones.

hmm, yeah, I think I'm first gonna decide whether I should really accept the two or just say sorry I can't before I start even thinking about hosting and stuff with the servers complx.net.
    $20 a month for a T3 line? Damn, where can I sign up, I'll take 20. You can't get DSL for $20/month, how do you expect to get a T3 line for that?

heh wish that was possible but no. He means he just can't give me three servers totally free, he says two is fine, but he'll have to charge me for the third; but I cannot have anymore since he wont let me use his P4 ones, but I wouldn't want to use a P4 for webhosting.

I very much doubt each server has it's own T3 line as a T3 runs to about $10,000+ per month (Someone might have to correct me on that as I've not kept up lately).
    Karl Austin :: KDA Web Services Ltd.
    UK Business Hosting and Managed Servers - Hosting for Business Users :: 0800 5429 764
    Call us today and ask about our hosting solutions.

In the Cleveland Market a t-3 line at cost is 12,000 including local loop charges. On average in the Cleveland Market it will run you about $15,000 to $17,000 a month

Though in Sweden you can get a 10Mbps connection for like $30, I know several ppl over there that have that.. But it is like DSL goes up and down all the time.

heh wish that was possible but no. He means he just can't give me three servers totally free, he says two is fine, but he'll have to charge me for the third; but I cannot have anymore since he wont let me use his P4 ones, but I wouldn't want to use a P4 for webhosting.
    I'd pay $500 per server, if I was going to be conneceted to a dedicated T3.