Angry Rack Shack and GeoTrust SSL Nightmare

Well after hearing good stuff about the Geotrust quickssl certs from rachshack I thought I would give it a shot for 49.00.

So I proceed to the sign up page fillout all my information , copy paste my csr to submit with the order and I get a error :

"ERROR!! There was a problem with the SSL Certificate & Signing Please Re-enter."
    Well I tried several times to correct the error a got frustrated , so I quit . I wake up next morning and check my CC and guess what , the balances aren't corrrect . So I call the bank and they tell me there have been several charges for 53.03 totaling $472.00 . So I got charged everytime for those errors when all I was trying to do is fix this suppoed error and get 1 ssl and I end up getting charged for errors
    phantasyworkshosting.com

Something RS just can't figure out: Quality Assurance. I'm sure if you call them they will take care of the matter, but it sucks that you have to spend YOUR time because of their errors; join the club.
    <!-- boo! -->

A similar thing happened to me a few weeks back, but they refunded all the charges. I called RS at the time and they said someone does it automatically as they check through each SSL cert request and if they see that it didn't go through they refund you the money, which is a stupid way of doing it, why don't they just not take the money in the first place? But either open a TT or e-mail customer services and they'll give you a refund.

Alan
    Alan Ho
    Former Systems Administrator

phantasywork, you get to many nightmares!!! First with paradise-designs now this
    VibeHost, A DensityHost Company
    Under NEW Ownership
    Quality, Affordable Reseller Hosting
    www.vibehost.com

Wow that is nuts. Lets hope RS fixes this ASAP.

no doubt, that totally sucks.
    -Kyle Reilly
    http://www.kylecool.com - My Website
    http://kylereilly.com -KyleReilly.COM :: MY WEBSITE

Not exactly as described

Everytime one clicks the card is charged automatically. RS then reviews the following day to find those who had problems, which is beyond the normal call of duty.

As to his error, I have never experienced a problem getting a cert through their site and have passed 100.

That is just stupid as hell. They should make a better system that only charges it if it produces a valid key and there are no errors. They have the money and staff to develop it, not too hard. Not to mention all the CC fees they would save, like issuing refunds, and whatever per transaction + so many percent.
    -Kyle Reilly

then reviews the following day to find those who had problems, which is beyond the normal call of duty.
    Nonesense, it's their responsibility.
    <!-- boo! -->

Let's just say it's a very flawed process , I would understand if I didn't get the errors and was charged , but I got errors and still was charged for nothing. Btw this was done Friday and I seen the charges on Saturday.

I have yet to hear a thing on a refund. Honestly it's sad I have to even waste my time to fix the problem. I am rather calm about the whole situation right now , it's my wife that's ready to draw some rackshack blood
    phantasyworkshosting.com

Re: Not exactly as described

Originally posted by Incognito
    Everytime one clicks the card is charged automatically. RS then reviews the following day to find those who had problems, which is beyond the normal call of duty.

As to his error, I have never experienced a problem getting a cert through their site and have passed 100.
    So when is the following day ? This was done friday

What puzzles me is that I had someone that was familar with the RS and GeoTrust certs , do a csr for me and it still gave me the same error , what's wrong with this picture ?
    phantasyworkshosting.com

Re: Rack Shack and GeoTrust SSL Nightmare

Originally posted by phantasywork
    Well after hearing good stuff about the Geotrust quickssl certs from rachshack I thought I would give it a shot for 49.00.

So I proceed to the sign up page fillout all my information , copy paste my csr to submit with the order and I get a error :

Well I tried several times to correct the error a got frustrated , so I quit . I wake up next morning and check my CC and guess what , the balances aren't corrrect . So I call the bank and they tell me there have been several charges for 53.03 totaling $472.00 . So I got charged everytime for those errors when all I was trying to do is fix this suppoed error and get 1 ssl and I end up getting charged for errors
    I do not think RS has charged your CC untill you press last submit button. But yes it is authrized which is common with all hosts and to verify that do you have funds right before the transaction going through. Those CC authurizations do show as being deducted, but if you look closely they wll say authorized and waiting for merchant to apply payment, but if merchant does not apply payment in 5 days those charges are put back to your account as positive balance.

For faster way to release the funds is by calling the merchant (in this case RS) and what they will do is call their CC processor and have them release the funds in your account.

For example: Its the same case with hosts who do live transactions have people will use CC to pay by the CC declines because the the adddress provided by the customer does not match the billing address and guess what the processor will authorize the amount, even the card is declined but the card will never be charged or processed unless the trasaction is approved in which case it is not.

Hope I was clear. Good Luck, sorry to hear.
    Last edited by FWH_Rupi; 06-30-2002 at 04:49 PM.
    FastWebHost.com - Business Web Hosting, Reseller Hosting & Fast VPS Hosting
    FastWebHost.in Best India Web Hosting Provider. India Web Hosting
    Hosting Websites Since 2002 in USA, EU, India and all over the world

Same thing happened here (they billed twice for one SSL certificate), though they refunded the charges automatically without me having to complain.
    Hostit365.com - Reliable Web Hosting with magical support
    cPanel #1 Web Hosting Control Panel Included
    WHT members benefit from our industry leading 60 day money back guarantee with no small print
    Now accepting PayPal™ - Click here to order now

well thanks folks I feel a little better now , and hopefully the same will hold true for me , I talked to the bank and it appears that the charges are on hold ..so maybe they will see what went wrong and refund the charges.

I really would love to get one of these quickssl's but I just don't understand why I am getting the errors and I have followed there directions to a T on creating a csr and it still fails
    phantasyworkshosting.com

Re: Not exactly as described

Originally posted by Incognito
    If that's really how it happened, then I'd have to ask if it's beyond the normal call of duty to have a correctly functioning order form in the first place - one that doesn't submit the charge until the information entered is verified?

-Bob

Originally posted by vibehosts
    phantasywork, you get to many nightmares!!! First with paradise-designs now this
    Seriously, I thik you just have bad luck or something.

Originally posted by iamdave
    Seriously, I thik you just have bad luck or something.
    Yes apparently I do

Originally posted by TMX

If that's really how it happened, then I'd have to ask if it's beyond the normal call of duty to have a correctly functioning order form in the first place - one that doesn't submit the charge until the information entered is verified?

-Bob
    Yep I agree , wouldn't a proper working order form help lessen the load of bad orders , cause I see a few others have had troubles also
    phantasyworkshosting.com

Re: Rack Shack and GeoTrust SSL Nightmare

Well after hearing good stuff about the Geotrust quickssl certs from rachshack ...
    Wher did you hear THAT

Re: Re: Rack Shack and GeoTrust SSL Nightmare

Originally posted by ShareFile

Wher did you hear THAT
    http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showth...threadid=54885

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

what ever happend to error checking ....
    Coreix™ | your solution™ www.coreix.net - 08000226734 - ISO27001 Certified
    Dedicated Servers - Colocation - Secure Cages - Enterprise & Managed Solutions - Clustering - LoadBalancing - High Availability - Hosted Exchange 2007
    NEW Tier III London DC with power sourced from 100% renewable sources, N+N UPS, N+1 Chillers and CRAC units, Mist Fire Suppression, Biometric and Man Trap security to all data areas

No doubt.
    -Kyle Reilly

This is unbelievable! RackShack should know how to write an order form, and this reflects poorly on their company. An order form could be written that checks a database for recent orders, and if you have recently ordered a certificate, then it should take you to a page that says something like "You have recently ordered X number of certificates, click A to place an additional order OR click B to re-try your order. There are several ways to do it. The customer should not have to worry about whether they are charged more than once or go thru the hassle of having charges removed.
    Last edited by chrisb; 07-01-2002 at 07:51 AM.

Not to mention the trouble you could be in now
    1) Bad standing with bank to to overdrawal
    2) Server/Account suspension because card empty and ISP cannot deduct fee
    3) You are out of gas somewhere and are screwed cause your card is empty
    4) You make a fool of yourself in the supermarket where you went shopping and have to leave empty handed again
    5) You FINALLY find your dream item on ebay and cannot buy it

Ok maybe above sounds funny bu twhen I purchase something with my card, even if there has been an error, I do not expect it to be charged >400$ if the purchase was 50$... and yeah several above could happen to me then...

All the services I useto buy something, including the one I use to sell have "duplicate charges check"... well...

Yep, some more good info there Robert(ShareFile). I had something similar happen once at a hotel where the desk clerk added a few too many zeros to the authorization hold, and though I had plenty of credit available (90% available) I was turned down. And this was at my class reunion with other former classmates in line behind me. How embarrasing. It was the Marriott, btw.

I agree guys , there is no excuse why money money has been tied up since friday and still is , there are clearly flaws with this order form for the ssl's and I think it desrerves some attention.
    phantasyworkshosting.com

Why can you say what it is?
    Poor programming and bad policy.
    There are many ways to check and prevent this,
    specially and far the easiest they should not charge until key is sfed and checked, in other word a verification page.

B.
    ServerWholesale.com Toll Free: 1-844-Servers
    Dedicated Servers at wholesale prices • Vpn, Vps, Cdn and Cloud Friendly.
    Only SuperMicro and Dell Intel XEON Powered Servers.
    Unmetered Dedicated Premium Bandwidth Nlayer / GTT

got a response from Rackshack

Finally got a response from RS and it seems they were having troubles with Geotrust Certs this past week .

Thank you for choosing Rackshack!

Dear Customer,

Thank you for your email. I have reviewed your account and the logs to order a ssl certificate and I do show that there were some error. Geotrust was having some technical issues and they have been resolved. I do not show that we have collected any money, we only pre-authorized the charge. You can verify with your bank that they are only in pending status they should drop off in the next day or so. Since Geotrust has corrected the technical issue you should be able to order a ssl certificate with no problem

Thank you,

Laura
    Customer Service
    Rackshack / Everyones Internet

So now I just gotta wait til it all clears off hold
    phantasyworkshosting.com

Ah, thats good, but they didn't use proper English.

[quote] and I do show that there were some error.[/quote[
    was. hehe

-Kyle
    -Kyle Reilly

Ah, thats good, but they didn't use proper English.

[quote] and I do show that there were some error.[/quote[
    was. hehe

-Kyle
    -Kyle Reilly

Re: got a response from Rackshack

Finally got a response from RS and it seems they were having troubles with Geotrust Certs this past week .

Thank you for choosing Rackshack!

Dear Customer,

Thank you for your email. I have reviewed your account and the logs to order a ssl certificate and I do show that there were some error. Geotrust was having some technical issues and they have been resolved. I do not show that we have collected any money, we only pre-authorized the charge. You can verify with your bank that they are only in pending status they should drop off in the next day or so. Since Geotrust has corrected the technical issue you should be able to order a ssl certificate with no problem

Thank you,

Laura
    Customer Service
    Rackshack / Everyones Internet

So now I just gotta wait til it all clears off hold

What problems????

We have used rackshack for our SSL (BELIEVE IT OR NOT) and we had no problems what so ever. We entered the info and processed it and had everything within not even 10 minutes.