Rack Shack - Servers Restored For No Reason

Okay Here we gp.

June 24-Got a call from Rackshacl saying my card was expired. Gave them my new card number they charged it everything was fine. Here is the support ticket from that day.

Resolved: No
    Category: Billing - Collections - Collect Money
    Problem Description: 6/24/02 11:27:01 AM
    6/24/02 - jennir - 11:25:51 AM
    - - - - - - ->
    .please attempt collection again if not move fu date 1 more time for 3 days. if you are still unable to collect, have the server restored/resold and closed item in prism.
    Resolution Description:
    6/24/02 4:47:25 PM
    cust called and paid amnt owed closing tkt
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Here is the ticket From June 29th.

Category: RackShack - RS - ready for resell
    Problem Description: 6/29/02 5:23:15 PM
    6/29/02 - staceyh - 5:22:39 PM
    - - - - - - ->
    .please restore/resell
    Resolution Description: 6/29/02 7:44:14 PM
    restoring server
    6/29/02 8:26:47 PM
    server restored
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    Why I paid for it and they closed the ticket. So i called rackshack, the support guy tolled me he does not know why they did that. For no reason. They were in the process of restoring the hard-drive and reselling the server for no reason. The support guy called the datacenter. Then he tells me they think its a big error. And he tells me good news. They restored my 1st server which i just got and had no customers on. They were about to restore my other server that had my billing database on and all my customers. However, they only unpluged the server and started were about to start restoring the hard-drive when I cought the problem. They tolled me they don't see a reason why they are doing it so they will but it back online. Here is the ticket
    _____
    Category: RackShack - Online - Does this server need to be restored?
    Problem Description: 6/29/02 5:22:35 PM
    6/29/02 - staceyh - 5:22:05 PM
    - - - - - - ->
    .please restore/resell

Thanks

Resolution Description: 6/29/02 9:29:52 PM
    preparing drives
    6/30/02 12:57:35 AM
    Requesting an update for this issue per customer. thanks
    6/30/02 1:32:07 AM
    customer claim in chat that he has paid his debt and this server should not be restored.

Forwarding to customer service to confirm that this server should be restored. Server is back online

thank you.
    -----------------------------
    Why would they do it if the June 24th ticket says its all paid for. What do you think?

Well it looks like someone at Rackshack only read half a ticket and assumed that you didn't pay. Was the first ticket closed as it's showing as, resolved "no"? If it wasn't closed, then the tech might have read the collection part, never read that the customer paid and just opened a ticket for the server to be re-sold.

Not reading a ticket fully, or reading it too quick happens quite often... not just at Rackshack, it happens in a lot of companies. If you lost important data due to it, then you could ask for some compensation, but I doubt you'll get much from Rackshack .

Alan
    Alan Ho
    Former Systems Administrator

have you tried posting @ RS forum ? , im sure there are many CS ppl there
    Ben,

ok
    its really early
    (6am)
    i need sleep
    but

i like rackshack
    i like patrick
    patrick is great

but god damn
    i think rackshack needs to get rid of some of those people, that read those tickets, really....

I guess they are the "tech support" people? What are they teenagers?

these people who read the support tickets obviously don't read carefully

I remember that one time when someone had a problem with PLESK, and the rackshack tech replied with a ENSIM FAQ url in the ticket and closed it...

It seems as though if you REALLY want to get your problem solved, you gotta contact someone like patrick.

When I have problems with my rackshack server(s) -- I see the rackshack techs as --> USELESS

Half the time i get the run around, or I get mixed answers. Everyone has a different answer. Nobody seems to know what's going on sometimes.

I mean i'm not bashing rackshack . I think they are awesome.... its just the people who they hire for tech support, do not seem to be all that great.

5 stars for patrick though. i'm sure some of you know why i say that. patrick is the most helpful person at rs in my opinion

Really really dumb mistake, that. But mistakes happen, and people find it incredibly easy to misread things. I'd hope that you'd be given some sort of credit on your account because of this, and I'd hope that Rackshack would have a system where two people were required to sign off on a server being taken offline (which would make such errors rather less likely), but in the end people are always going to make the occasional mistake.
    Dr. Colin Percival, FreeBSD Security Officer
    Online backups for the truly paranoid: http://www.tarsnap.com/

All this talk about mistakes but this is NOT a mistake you can afford to make.. It's not some simple little 'mistakes happen'. Losing a customer's data because of something like this is really bad. I usually take out the hard drive and put in a new one and keep the old one on a shelf for 30 days 'just in case'..

Paul
    http://www.httpd.net
    Dedicated servers, colocation
    and completely custom plans
    for any need!

Compensation

I dont think RS understand the meaning of compensation

I think an apology is what you get at best - I wouldn't hold my breath for anything more

Just spoke to rackshack. The ticket has been updated here is what it reads.

7/1/02 10:54:01 AM
    account has been updated please do not restore. closing ticket

They did not even say sorry, but offered free set-up on the next server i get with them?

So go get a celeron with plesk or wait until they sell a 'big time server', again... like the p4s, or Athalons.
    Check Out My Investment Blog - I plan to invest in a diverse portfolio through the next few months. As I make (lose?) money, I'll document my decisions, rationale for them, and their results.

athlons*

athlons were garbage

p4's were sweet.

Please explain your statment of "athlons were garbage".

Peter

Athlons make crappy servers but good windows workstations
    http://www.httpd.net
    Dedicated servers, colocation
    and completely custom plans
    for any need!

Please explain what you mean by "crappy servers"

Peter

there were so many hardware issues with the athlon you just don't know

there were so many that rackshack stopped selling them
    they are only going to use intel now

I do know about the hardware issue with athlon. To my understanding they are mostly heat related problems due to improper cooling.

However, I fail to see how rackshack's inability to supply proper cooling makes AMD's athlon "garbage."

Athlon is anything but "garbage." I use AMD Athlon MP 1900+ in my workstation, and it has ran beautifully. (Yes, with proper cooling).

Peter

clocker1996 didn't mean the AMD Athlon is garbage. He just meant the RackShack AMD Athlon XP 1900+ servers were garbage.

As for FOONET's comment, AMD Athlons don't make crappy servers at all. I have a 1U, yes, 1U AMD Athlon XP 1700+ server which has been up for many months without problems. If built properly, AMD Athlon processors work great in servers.
    ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

Agree with you "clocker1996 "
    Patrick, chris and daniel are very good..

All others are.. :-(... no wondering.... rackshack pay`s 8.- US Dollar a¨Hour :-) !!

Matt
    Mateo Meier
    Founder Artmotion
    http://www.artmotion.eu

*********** formely championhost, have in the past used there customers credits cards to pay for there server space, the actual company who they rent the server from then end up having to give the real credit card owner there money back and end up with nothing.

so dont straight away presume its the company who rent the server to him theres always 2 sides to every story

mmmmmmmmm maybe this is what has happend!!!!

I agree with clocker1996 - having a server at Rackshack, it scares me to death that they have a few bad techs who do not read the support tickets.

Headsurfer really neads to get rid of the few bad support people who cause their customers frustration and can cause incidents like this. They have some really good tech people like Patrick, but the bad tech people who are more concerned with closing tickets than reading them are the only really bad thing about Rackshack - they give the company a bad name. Action should be taken to either get rid of the bad techs or retrain them or give them an incentive to read the tickets carefully rather than just hitting the close ticket button and let some other poor support soul deal with it if they call back.
    Dedicated Servers at Steadfast Networks and Softlayer : Virutal Hosting at FutureQuest : VPS at FutureHosting

mmmmmmmmm maybe this is what has happend!!!!
    Maybe the ticket was misquoted, but unless the first post was a lie it looks like someone simply looked at the ticket and didn't read it to see that payment was received and hit the restore button
    Dedicated Servers at Steadfast Networks and Softlayer : Virutal Hosting at FutureQuest : VPS at FutureHosting

If this happens again and you see your server restored by mistake, call RackShack quickly over the phone. There is a good chance your old disk will be still available. RackShack restores the servers by swapping hard disks (which is the right way to do it), so your old hard disk may still be in techs' cupboard for a while even after your server was restored.

We had a failed hard disk once, which was working very slow and get a lot of error messages in /var/log/messages, to the extent that system's reboot could take forever. The server was restored and we were afraid that data are lost. After contacting techs they found our old hard disk and mounted as the second hard drive in the system, so we could copy files from it at our own pace.
    MetaTester.com

Just a quick chime in, we lock the drives in a cabinet for 5 days for safety precautions.

Originally posted by Patrick-EV1
    Just a quick chime in, we lock the drives in a cabinet for 5 days for safety precautions.
    You restore/format them BEFORE or AFTER you lock them in the closet?