Thread: Solo Card?

Solo Card?

Well, let's try this again. Long-winded thread later, WHT decides to tell me that I cannot link to external websites until I have five posts. Back button = loss of thread. Thanks for that. :-/

Long story short.

Technical webmaster, wanting to create another site. I want something very similar to the HostGator plan that is entitled "Baby".

- 15 bucks a year for a .com domain
    - Around the same per month for hosting
    - CPanel
    - A fair amount of SQL Databases
    - A reputable company with many good feedback testimonials
    - Instant setup
    - No input from the host (I paid for the service, so leave me to use it, thanks)
    - ONE HUNDRED PERCENT UPTIME

And the one that has gotten me stuck everytime:

- The ability to pay with a Solo card.

I have my current domain with Fasthosts, and have been VERY disappointed. They have an awful Admin panel, have very slow response times (seen my forum down for an entire night once) and have a lack of technical knowledge when assisting me. Not to mention the fact that I am seemingly being charged for EVERYTHING (25 for a SQL database? Wait, what?) and I have let them know I am disappointed. The only thing keeping me there is the fact it's the only place I can find which has the ability to pay via a Solo card.

I am a believer in paying for things that you physically have the money for. I never borrow from others, especially by using a credit card. That's why I cannot use PayPal; they need a credit card from you in order to work.

Can any of you help? The Internet seems smaller to me than it actually is...

Thanks in advance,

DTAnthrax

Hi DTAnthrax,

You could always talk to the smaller UK based hosts to see if they will allow you to pay by a direct deposit into their account.

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by PaulStuffins
    Hi DTAnthrax,

You could always talk to the smaller UK based hosts to see if they will allow you to pay by a direct deposit into their account.

Paul
    Very very sceptical. Those hosts are probably small for a reason.

I don't even know where to look for them, Paul. Can you point me in the right direction? I don't want to find a host that I am going to regret paying, one like "domayne4ulol.com" (over-exaggeration, but you get the message).

Hi DTAnthrax,

Yes the smaller hosts are small for a reason 1) startup 2) neiche hosting 3) just cant compete with bigger fish.

as for where to look try google, the offer forum and the search page here.

You can also try forum2.co.uk

Paul

Look for companies in the UK that take payments via Worldpay as I know for sure that Solo is accepted.

www.kualo.co.uk and www.clook.co.uk would be good places to start.

However no host can offer you 100% uptime as this is just too hard to achieve. Even google goes down every now and then and they must spend millions on hosting
    Steve

I love you Steve.

Got it done. I looked through the Clook.co.uk testimonials, liked what I saw, and bought.

Thanks a bunch, guys.

(And I suppose 100 percent isn't realistic, though I've never seen Google down, ever. I'd rather not pay thousands per month to stay up, though )

As a guide anywhere that takes Maestro *should* take solo, not always but generally.

Any host that accepts PayPal should also be able to do what you're looking for, there's a fair few out there. Any smaller hosts aren't necessarily bad, infact they're usually better.

Glad you've found a host you feel happy with.

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by DTAnthrax
    I am a believer in paying for things that you physically have the money for. I never borrow from others, especially by using a credit card. That's why I cannot use PayPal; they need a credit card from you in order to work.
    I also don't own a credit card, but I do have a Solo Card and bank account. I have an active Paypal account with verified bank & address. In other words, you can sign up and use Paypal without a credit card
    Sean

Quote Originally Posted by Kemik
    I also don't own a credit card, but I do have a Solo Card and bank account. I have an active Paypal account with verified bank & address. In other words, you can sign up and use Paypal without a credit card
    Hmm, I had no idea. I was always turned down when I requested anything beyond a Solo card and bank account.

I should try using my eyes properly and read through it again. Thanks for the help everyone.