Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question [Ridiculous Plans] We've heard all this before but... is it really possible?

http://www.canaca.ca/virtual.html

Are plans like this even possible to dare offer? I feel like I'm seriously out of date.

http://www.canaca.ca/dedicated.htm

Seeing the plans they provide on the VPS, overselling came into my mind. But the read the following.

Do you oversell your VPS servers?

Absolutely not. In fact we couldn't even if we wanted. We are using Xen 3.0 and it does not allow us oversell any service.
    Can anybody try to explain such pricing and specs?

Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't Xen allow space and bandwidth to be oversold -- just not ram?

As far as explaining it goes: Overselling.
    Nothing more needs to be said.

Sure, we've seen countless threads about overselling, I just was just astounded by the rate of "overselling" on this particular host.

David whats wrong with overselling? Your own website advertises hosts (you being the affiliate) that oversell and you do make money from them yet come on here and point fingers at a host that takes it to another level.

Overselling is Overselling. When you start overselling, the boundaries you set become artificial. You cannot support and NOT support it both at the same time.

Keep one opinion to your approach. What you call overselling is the main driving factor of this Industry all the way from the top (bandwidth providers) to the bottom (resellers).

Id suggest that you understand the whole concept first and then setup a website. A good read would be sites like resellerguide.com. Have a read through. Review sites need to provide constructive information rather than pointing guns at a overseller and earning out of them at the same time.

Id bet if I paid $300 per client, most of the review sites would list our companies regardless of what I am doing. Money talks BS walks.

Quote Originally Posted by The Engine
    Sure, we've seen countless threads about overselling, I just was just astounded by the rate of "overselling" on this particular host.
    They're always 10 steps ahead of their competitors in overselling.

Their most basic virtual hosting plan is even more than what I get for my USA dedicated server! Much more in fact!

If you login to their Cpanel Demo (username: demo / Pwd: admin) notice all the flashing red and yellow lights
    ┣▇▇▇═─√v^√v^√♥
    - Proudly Hosted By: DTS-Net

500 GB storage space, 2000 GB file transfer, Host 3 Web Sites for $3.95/M
    1500 GB storage space, 5,200 GB file transfer, Host 4 Web Sites for $7.95/M
    That is pretty rediculous!
    Jim - 2Macs H-Sphere Web Hosting
    Since 2001 - H-Sphere Clustered Shared Linux & Windows Hosting
    Fully Managed Services| Custom Web Designs
    Unconditional, 30 Day Money back Guarantee!

Quote Originally Posted by EncoderZ
    If you login to their Cpanel Demo (username: demo / Pwd: admin) notice all the flashing red and yellow lights
    Woah..

Quote Originally Posted by Server Status
    Server Load 3.89 (2 cpus)
    Memory Used 18.4 %
    Swap Used 0.07 %
    Disk sda6 (/) 29 %
    Disk sda1 (/boot) 18 %
    Disk shm (/dev/shm) 0 %
    Disk sda8 (/home) 95 %
    Disk sda5 (/tmp) 8 %
    Disk sda3 (/usr) 52 %
    Disk sda2 (/var) 15 %
    Disk sdc1 (/home2) 84 %
    Disk sdb1 (/home3) 93 %
    Disk sdd1 (/home4) 79 %
    Disk hda1 (/home5) 84 %
    Disk hdb1 (/home6) 95 %
    That is just staggering. Upto /home6 and each of them near 100% full. Can you imagine how many accounts are hosted on that server?

Quote Originally Posted by http://whois.domaintools.com/canaca.com
    Reverse IP: 1,786 other sites hosted on this server.
    Well, at least a few thousand.

What kind of host allows hosting on such poor conditions? It's so pathetic.

That is ridiculous, specially when their dedicated servers only get 100 GB storage, yet shared can get atleast 300 GB. But many popular, so called best hosters like Lunarpages and Hostgator are starting to do the same.

They are just pathetic liars, no more needs to be said.

Server Load 25.6 (2 cpus)

/me wonders ............

Disk sdc1 (/home2) 84 %
    Disk sdb1 (/home3) 93 %
    Disk sdd1 (/home4) 79 %
    Disk hda1 (/home5) 84 %
    Disk hdb1 (/home6) 95 %
    WOW thats bad news.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by EncoderZ
    It looks all christmasy *sniffles and cries* Now I know how the jewish kids feel.. Wait.. I feel sorry for the customers..

Yet again guys.. Don't forget.. They have account limits. While it might not be feasable for someone to have 3 sites on their Virtual 1 package use up ALL that space, it's better than saying, "Have this for unlimited amount of accounts.. Just not too many or we'll have to shut you down because we can't really handle that kind of storage anyway".

VPSHelp - Coming soon to a newbie near you.

The fact that you (and me) are even posting here, only helps them achieve their goal.

Yes - they are outright liars by stating they don't oversell - but apparently doing so is profitable and posting here only helps them do it more.

This goes back to server administration.
    Apparently someone over there can write a cool ad, but doesn't care about the sardines packed into the server.

Yes - they are outright liars by stating they don't oversell - but apparently doing so is profitable and posting here only helps them do it more.
    I have to agree, each time a post of this sort is made about any overselling company it only helps them.

That is ridiculous, specially when their dedicated servers only get 100 GB storage, yet shared can get atleast 300 GB. But many popular, so called best hosters like Lunarpages and Hostgator are starting to do the same.
    Overselling is the new trend, all the popular big web hosts are doing it. And any web host that feels that they are being left behind is joining the race.

Sad.

Quote Originally Posted by WN-Ali
    Overselling is the new trend, all the popular big web hosts are doing it. And any web host that feels that they are being left behind is joining the race.

Sad.
    Exactly, one day they are here complaining about oversellers, the next day they upgrading all their plans to something ridiculous.
    - Steve D
    SERVBoston: Hosting since 2003
    Shared, Reseller, VPS.
    Top Notch Support from a veteran hosting company!

Quote Originally Posted by RH-Steve
    Exactly, one day they are here complaining about oversellers, the next day they upgrading all their plans to something ridiculous.
    Not all the web hosts are doing it.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Apoc
    The fact that you (and me) are even posting here, only helps them achieve their goal.

Well if anyone is stupid enough to get an account from them after seeing Cpanel demo and or reading this thread then in all honesty they deserve to be with them
    ┣▇▇▇═─√v^√v^√♥

They're always 10 steps ahead of their competitors in overselling.
    At least they used to be. The way I see it, they're just 2 steps ahead these days.

something i don't understand.

i see all the red lights and high server load, but when i access cpanel sections, it's so damn fast!!!

at least it loads faster than all the accounts i'm having from other good hosts

Quote Originally Posted by eric418
    something i don't understand.

i see all the red lights and high server load, but when i access cpanel sections, it's so damn fast!!!

at least it loads faster than all the accounts i'm having from other good hosts
    I think as it's (Cpanel demo) on a dedicated plan it'll have it's own resources secured.

It's the others on the server that you need to look at for speed but, they are maxing it out ...

You'd need to check out the other customers accounts domains on the shared accounts to get a real true picture.

I notice however that the Cpanel demo is giving stats for IP 67.55.55.52 and the actual providers domain IP is 66.49.254.5 - different IP to the Cpanel subdomian.
    ┣▇▇▇═─√v^√v^√♥

It's common practice for hosting companies to host their company website, support helpdesk, and support forums on a different server than their customers. Some even place their websites in a different data center. It could explain why their website is so fast and their customer's server is so overloaded!

Quote Originally Posted by BrilliantHosts
    It's common practice for hosting companies to host their company website, support helpdesk, and support forums on a different server than their customers.
    I would agree on you with this one, as we do something like that.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by The Engine
    Seeing the plans they provide on the VPS, overselling came into my mind. But the read the following.

/* Broken Quote System.. <3 vB */

Can anybody try to explain such pricing and specs?
    Correct my stupidity here but if I'm not mistaken XEN doesn't prevent you overselling it just allows you to set minimum limits, which could easily be 1% CPU time and 1% of RAM - which is most definately not the same thing.

XEN is going to have no problems with me packing 100 clients on a 386 33mhz box with 32 MB RAM - if I'm not mistaken - that's overselling in my book. At the end of the day a host can promise you a minimum of 20% of resources, doesn't mean you're getting it - and what's more, you can't ever really tell, you can just guess.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast