Which billing system is best ?

I have looked all over wht and cnt find this topic and know its about somewhere.

Which is the best billing software ?

Thanks,
    Adam
    Europe Internet Services www.snappedstick.com

There is no best billing system each have their own flaws. So really it's about choosing the one that best suites you. For us it's ModernBill currently but who's to say our needs change and with that so does our billing system.
    Tony B. - Chief Executive Officer
    Hawk Host Inc. Proudly serving websites since 2004
    Quality Shared and Cloud Hosting
    PHP 5.2.x - PHP 8.1.X Support!

I would suggest modernbill. It has a lot of options that help you to customize the billing system according to your requirements.

Modernbill is the best

www.whmcs.com with no doubt!!!!

Yes I would have to agree WHMCS is the best billing system on the market right now.

It has one of the best price points and it does everything. Modern Bill does not have as many features as WHMCS.

Look at the WHMCS website to compare features to see which one has the features you are looking for. Choose the one that is best for you though. Most of them have a trial version you can try to see which one you like the best also. Try them and see which on you like.

I have personally used
    Modern Bill
    Client Exec
    WHMCS

I choose WHMCS because it is the best for us. Support is great and if you have an idea on how to make it better post it on there forums and there is a great chance it will get implemented in the next version. They really listen to what here users needs are.
    Last edited by WickedShark; 01-26-2007 at 02:19 PM.

I use modernbill personally and love it, but WHMCS looks great also!
    XeHost.net - Hosting websites since 1999!
    Shared Hosting, Cloud Hosting, Reseller Hosting, VPS Hosting, and Dedicated Servers
    End-User Support, WHMCS, and WHMReseller Available on Reseller Plans!
    Follow us on Twitter - new special every Sunday! @XeHost

Another vote for WHMCS.
    Sean

WHMCS for the win!
    www.AptoHosting.com
    The Most Adapatable Hosting Solution On The Planet!

Yes...WHMCS is beyond a doubt the best. We are in the works to becoming a reseller of this great solution.

Quote Originally Posted by WickedShark
    Yes I would have to agree WHMCS is the best billing system on the market right now.

It has one of the best price points and it does everything. Modern Bill does not have as many features as WHMCS.
    Without having to dig through their entire site, cab you give me the readers digest version on what WHMCS has that Modernbill doesn't?
    Cpanel Hosting - Fast , Reliable, Stable, Secure - Since 1996
    CPanel/WHM • Fantastico • RVSkin • Dual Quad Core Servers • Raid 10 • 24x7 Toll-Free Phone Support

WHMCS gets another vote from me.

Without having to dig through their entire site, cab you give me the readers digest version on what WHMCS has that Modernbill doesn't?
    Well I one one thing for sure is that WHMCS is faster loading than MB.

Heres a comparison of all the most popular billing systems.

http://www.comparebilling.com/

Good luck!

another vote for modernbill, confusing but can do a lot.
    Like passive recurring revenue you can retire on?
    You focus on building your brand, we handle all support, billing, and more.
    Pressed.net - Start your own Managed WordPress Hosting Company

We have tried ModernBill 4, and ModernBill 5, and ClientExec.......We are now using WHMCS for all of our cpanel weg hosting on WHM, and will never go back to either ModernBill or ClientExec. Modernbill to me is just too hard to configure and customize and Clientexec is not feature rich enough. Support for both is somewhat to be desired, especially with Clientexec.

WHMCS support is second to none, and well......it just works right each and every time!
    InfTek Hosting
    Shared and Dedicated Kerio MailServer Solutions
    http://www.inftekhosting.com

It really depends on how your business opperates. I have stuck with ModernBill because it's the only thing I can use the way I run things. (I plan to pay for a custom system in the future).

Try a few out, don't spend to much time integrating a billing system into your site unless you know it's what you'll use.
    | | i write code

Quote Originally Posted by siforek
    I have stuck with ModernBill because it's the only thing I can use the way I run things.
    I'm curious what it is that Modernbill does for you that WHMCS (for example) does not do.
    Cpanel Hosting - Fast , Reliable, Stable, Secure - Since 1996
    CPanel/WHM • Fantastico • RVSkin • Dual Quad Core Servers • Raid 10 • 24x7 Toll-Free Phone Support

I do vote for Modernbill. The support is average.

Actually, the support at ModernBill is quite horrible.

We have used WHMAP and MB both but are now seriously looking at WHMCS.

The new version of WHMAP is pretty good too, at least much better than the new version of ModernBill.

Quote Originally Posted by hostmeister
    I'm curious what it is that Modernbill does for you that WHMCS (for example) does not do.
    I was honestly considering WHMCS it seemed to be pretty simple compared to modernbill and had some features I liked so it seemed great.

It however had some annoying issues paypal it only handles either subscriptions or one time payment on a customer. You cannot give the client the option of which.

register_globals needing to be on. They can argue all they want about this but there is a reason PHP has removed it from the PHP 6 branch, it's disabled in all versions by default now as well.

register_globals in itself is not bad but it increases the chance of human error.

To quote PHP manual

When on, register_globals will inject your scripts with all sorts of variables, like request variables from HTML forms. This coupled with the fact that PHP doesn't require variable initialization means writing insecure code is that much easier. It was a difficult decision, but the PHP community decided to disable this directive by default. When on, people use variables yet really don't know for sure where they come from and can only assume. Internal variables that are defined in the script itself get mixed up with request data sent by users and disabling register_globals changes this. Let's demonstrate with an example misuse of register_globals:

So for example when using register_globals on now how do you tell whether $username (for example) came from cookies, get request (http://blah.com/index.php?username=blah) a post request (forms) or even session (php's session management system).

A billing system is quite large and human error is going to happen no one is perfect. Why would someone want to play with fire. Most people with their servers they take security steps like using the most secure SSH protocol, disabling telnet, make use of firewalls all in the name of protection even though it may not be needed.

That really stuck out to me plus I've found all sorts of form page holes just using their demo I just can't imagine what would happen if someone started sending variables that may be used by the program itself. Of course you should initilize your variables with or without register globals on. On top of the fact if you use E_NOTICE it will tell you this and you should be able to correct it. Whether they WHMCS uses E_NOTICE during development who knows.

Also WHMCS is one developer I think? Does anyone actually bug test their code or anything like that? Anyone experienced with looking for holes or not? Or is it just being released to customers who are willing to test?

Also where is WHMCS located obviously just one person but where is he located exactly? The domain is whois protected so what happens if things go down and suddenly and I paid whatever for a license and now I'm out of luck. I don't know where this company is located so there isn't anything I can do.

My opinion anyways take it for what it's worth
    Tony B. - Chief Executive Officer
    Hawk Host Inc. Proudly serving websites since 2004
    Quality Shared and Cloud Hosting
    PHP 5.2.x - PHP 8.1.X Support!

Don't overlook AWBS. It just works great. Billing is something I never lose any sleep over anymore.

ubersmith is good.

frankly modernbill looks like a mess to me.
    George Donnelly / Systems Administrator
    High Speed Rails inc. / FOSS Hosting
    http://highspeedrails.com
    "Linux is Luke. FreeBSD is Yoda."

Quote Originally Posted by HSRGeorge
    ubersmith is good.

frankly modernbill looks like a mess to me.
    I agree ModerBill has a messy layout.
    www.AptoHosting.com
    The Most Adapatable Hosting Solution On The Planet!

ClientExec is the best for me. Very powerfull, but quite intuitive and simple.
    Nahuel Lanzón - nahuel.lanzon[@]lemuriacorp.com
    Lemuria Corporation - CEO / MANAGER
    Spanish Flash Tutorials! LemuriaDemos.com

Quote Originally Posted by TonyB
    Also where is WHMCS located obviously just one person but where is he located exactly? The domain is whois protected so what happens if things go down and suddenly and I paid whatever for a license and now I'm out of luck. I don't know where this company is located so there isn't anything I can do.

My opinion anyways take it for what it's worth

WHMCS is the best system we have used so far period.

As far as your other concerns listed above, I think everyone will find many of those answers right on their site: http://www.whmcs.com/company.php.

Seems to me WHMCS has their act together more so than any of the other billing software we have wasted our money on. They seem to be up-front about everything they do.

KUDOS WHMCS!
    InfTek Hosting
    Shared and Dedicated Kerio MailServer Solutions
    http://www.inftekhosting.com

Currently i use iHost and ALP. Im defiantly going to switch to WHMCS at some point as i have heard so many good points about it. HostGUI may also be a possibility for you when its launched.