Looking to live stream video via a Linux box

Hi,

I am looking to stream a live video via a linux box. The stream will be captured with a TV Tuner. I currently have FFMPEG installed, and have read that this could be done via FFSERVER. Does anyone suggest a better set-up? If not, can anyone direct me to a detailed tutorial or a how-to install and configured FFServer? I've researched google and all How-To I came across were pretty vague.

shoutcast is better and it streams Video too

Thanks. I will look into it.

Would shoutcast allow me to stream through my PC to the Linux box, right? I currently have 1 GB of RAM installed, would you recommend that I add another module? I will have about 100 viewers top watching at a given time.

Ohh, anyway you'll find all infos http://www.shoutcast.com/support/docs/

What kind of quality is this stream going to be, if its anything good (bellow 400Kbps starts to look pretty crappy) then you'll need to be streaming it from a server with a lot of bandwidth.

That would be hard for your home PC to do unless you live in a data center. What you'll likely need to do is put shoutcast on a server and have your PC capture and upload to the shoutcast server, this is what shotcast is best at.

This way all you have to worry about is capturing and encoding that video on your home PC. With my capture setup: 2.4 Ghz AMD X2, 2048MB RAM and a standard SATA disk. I can capture and encode about 60fps at 640x480 with ffmpeg using the divx/xvid codec.

If this was streaming to a server and broadcasting real time I personaly would go for around 10-15fps @ 320x240. Means the PC is free to do other stuff while its streaming too, and it won't fall behind.

With shoutcast you can easily add a second stream for users that don't have enough bandwidth too.

you can also try VLC (for both: capture from tv tunner and stream to server; and capture stream from your pc on the server and stream it to viewers)

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/streaming.html

some examples from server side are here: http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=569844

and streaming from tv tunner to server is clearly described in vlc docs on its website
    www.goscinnawies.pl - family business, small travel agency in Poland