Thumbs up 3+ and 6+ months Reviews!! PTPTECH / VASERV / WEBNX / ORANGEFIBER / SERVERVINA

ServerVina (9 months)

Let me start off these reviews with ServerVina. I went with a server with ServerVina back in Nov 2005. It was a AMD server with 20mbit dedicated bw. I'm an experienced admin and can manage my own servers. I only worry about support and hardware quality and replacements. SV appears to colo's boxes in the AlphaRed DC in Texas, rather than just resell OF servers. I will talk about that more at the end of the review.

So, I'll make this short. I never had any hardware issues whatsoever. The server was as solid as a rock. I only went down once, but an email to ServerVina Support got the server rebooted within 15 minutes. This was the only time I needed support. If I recall correctly, it was setup within the promised timeframe. I kept the server until July 2006. So that's 9 months. Pretty much in summary I am extremely satisfied by the service provided. I can't say much about support, because I only used it once for aserver reboot.

So why did I leave ServerVina? Well like I said they appear to colo their boxes, and so they don't appear to offer any more servers in the AlphaRed DC, and they appear to only have new boxes in SteadFast, but I needed more boxes at OrangeFiber, so I cancelled and went direct to OrangeFiber.

But in summary accordingly to my experience, I would recommend ServerVina as a solid host.

Orange Fiber (6 months)

Now on to the OrangeFiber review. This review is going to be even shorter than the one above. I didn't think twice when I went and ordered 3 30mbit servers with OF back in July. I knew what I was getting into, since I've had servers there with ServerVina, and as well as JH-Hosts (I think thats the name) in Spring 2005 (sorry I dont have a review here since I was only with them for 2 months). So like I said from past experiences I know their network is rock solid. I only wondered what kind of support I'd get. But I'm extremely happy to report that the hardware provided is rock solid as well. My 3 servers push at least 25mbit 24/7 each and after 6 months I haven't had a hard drive or hardware failure yet. I've never had to use support yet at all, so I really can't comment on that. But like I said the network and hardware are of top quality.

Would I recommend OrangeFiber? I sure would!

PullThePlug Technologies colo (17 months)

How I got involved with PTPTech was just... kind of... strange. Veteran WHT members have probably heard of Matrux? To begin with, I went with Matrux for 3 Dual Xeon servers, but someone happened between Brian and Justin and the two just broke off or something... anyway I don't know the whole story so I won't pretend I know what happened... so anyways I ended up moving into PTP and I loved the network... really! In January 2006 I put my first colo server in. 2 months later I added 2 more servers. Right now I have a total of 3 boxes colo'ed and I dropped the dedicated boxes. For support inquiries, Brian usually answers emails quickly, usually less then a couple of hours. I don't have a problem with that, since these are non-critical inquires anyway. Just general questions about billing / bandwidth.

Do you notice a trend by now? I'm one of those few that *probably* send only 1 or 2 support tickets a year. *grin*

So would I recommend PTP for your colo needs? Well for a 1U for $60 (includes remote reboot) it's not a bad deal, especially if you're looking for something on the east coast. So yes I would recommend them.

VAServ (4 months)

I was looking for a UK server and stumbled upon VA Serv since bandwidth is key and they offered 3000GB servers, so I got 2 servers with them. It's only been 4 months, and it's not a long time at all. But during these 4 months, I've never had to use support at all. There was a short downtime this month, because they were moving servers 4 meters down the cage, but I was notified well in advance, so thats a good thing. It was short too, less than 15 minutes. Nothing to gripe about. The network appears to be solid; Hyperspin has not reported any downtime, other that the aforementioned move above.

So will I recommend VAServ? Hmm... if you require tech support... I can't give you an honest answer. But if you are comfortable managing your own servers, and looking for a solid network in the UK, then yes I'd recommend them!

WebNX (3 months)

I started looking for a West Coast provider as I started to experience a tremendous growth in Asian users. Many clients were connecting from South Korea, China, Japan, Phillipines, Malaysia and ESPECIALLY Singapore (over 60%). Because at the time I only had servers on the East Coast and UK, connectivity to Asia wasn't great and I was getting complaints. After much research I ended up going with WebNX for their awesome hardware pricing. ALL my servers are multiple drives in RAID. So I ordered 2 boxes. This month I added 4 more servers. So I now have 6 servers with WebNX.

Support is top notch. 2 of my new servers experienced power supply failures, but Dan was able to get them sorted within 24 hours. I couldn't be more happier. I no longer have latency issues with my Asian clients *grin*. Without a doubt I'd recommend WebNX.

So that ends my reviews. For numbers sake, right now I have 3 servers with OrangeFiber, 6 with WebNX, 3 with PTPTech, and 2 with VAServ. All are running well. I hope people can find these reviews useful.
    Servers proudly hosted at... WebNX (10) - Netelligent (6)
    Also enjoying services from DreamHost, Hyperspin
    (#) indicates number of servers - 16 total

Great reviews. Thank you.

Support is top notch. 2 of my new servers experienced power supply failures, but Dan was able to get them sorted within 24 hours.
    are these dedicated servers or colo? 24 hours for power supply change is a little bit too much I would say... unless you have dual power supplies and don't experience any downtime
    :: Mountain Network Systems :: 323-933-9291
    eCommerce solutions since 1995
    http://www.webcart.net/

Quote Originally Posted by Webcart
    Great reviews. Thank you.

are these dedicated servers or colo? 24 hours for power supply change is a little bit too much I would say... unless you have dual power supplies and don't experience any downtime

There was a small misunderstanding on this one. We assumed it was a power supply failure, swapped it and saw it was back up. Found it powered down again some hours later, the ultimate issue was narrowed down to fluke power switch which would randomly turn off the server.

If your trying to get at our hardware replacement times taking 24 hours, thatís not the case, most failures are under 2 hours from the time of being diagnosed.

Dan
    Daniel Pautz - WebNX, Inc. dan >< WebNX.com
    WebNX.com Enterprise Hosting Solutions Ė Los Angeles and Manhattan NewYork based Servers
    High end Dedicated Servers at reasonable prices and a Premium network with 9x providers route optimized with the Noction IRP

Quote Originally Posted by WebNX
    If your trying to get at our hardware replacement times taking 24 hours, thatís not the case, most failures are under 2 hours from the time of being diagnosed.
    That's a very good response time. Thank you for clarifying.
    :: Mountain Network Systems :: 323-933-9291
    eCommerce solutions since 1995
    http://www.webcart.net/