Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

How important is the site design of the hosting company?

i am looking for reseller hosting, and the moment i see a badly designed site, i simply close the window...
    i feel that a serious host will have a serious design, is it because i am a webmaster or does an ordinary joe think the same way too?

srik

I think the design of a website is extremely important. I am somewhat of a web developer, although I think it'd be the same for the "ordinary joe." If a site is poorly designed or structured, it's confusing and isn't worth anyone's time.

Like a first impression at a job interview, the site design does the same to the user.

A first impression is a first impression. If it be yourself or an average joe, the same site is in front of their eyes. If you combed over the site, I'm sure thats where you'd be separated in distiction.
    Kdoubt.net - Gameing discussion, arcade, all around good fun

i have heard a few people claim that a site which looks well lets say something designed in frontpage...i mean only html kind.. inspires more trust... don't know if its true...

average joe hates big corporations

thinking of average joe :

flash site = big corp (untrustworthy)
    ordinary/pretty basic site = mom/pop setup (more trustworthy)

but in hosting biz, don't know who they feel

A professional company would have a professional designed web site.

It is definitely important, whether it is trying to sell your product to a specific group or just establishing an image for your company. A good web design definitely will work in your advantage, but again in the end it is still the product that counts.

Cheers
    █• CirtexHosting Providing Affordable and Quality Web Hosting & Reseller Hosting since 2003
    █• LINUX based cPANEL/WHM Shared and Reseller Web Hosting with Fantastico
    █• HostV VPS Premium Virtual Private Servers & Dedicated Servers powered by cPanel/WHM
    █• We transfer your sites over quickly! I eat penguins for breakfast ...

I'd never order webhosting from a webhosting company with a bad website. Makes me think "if they don't even want to make a good website... How good will the services be?"

Just like a store, imagion webhosting as a street totally stuffed to the brim with shops ordering the same. You walk through that street and see a good offer on a sign, with an instructional "Shop 100 yards ahead" at the bottom... You walk up the store, and what do you see? A bad looking store, with a bad looking display! What you do? Walk on!

//EDIT

Forgot to mention, and this is the perfect moment for it: Precision Effect has the best looking website in the hosting industry IMHO!
    hi there!

Quote Originally Posted by amygdela
    Forgot to mention, and this is the perfect moment for it: Precision Effect has the best looking website in the hosting industry IMHO!
    We see you browsing sometimes. (Kayako, of course.)
    Last edited by sgarbus; 01-25-2007 at 08:11 PM.

Reverting the question, "Would you do business with a hosting company with a bad design?" Bad designs to me are those with amateurish looks we all know.

I would say NO to that definitely. Or shall I say, I will not bother to look further or be interested to explore their services.

Just recently, I came across DimensionServers.com and their website looks great (and I really like the professional design) that I explored their sites more and ending up to be a new customer after a few days. They seem to project their professionalism and dedication they showed me during our chat and emails on their site design.

Of course, there are those companies hiding on great website designs but their support and service sucks. The only way to know they are for real is to talk to them and see how they respond to you.

So I say IMHO it works to have a great and professional looking and error-free hosting website.
    Don't Lose Your Website Ever Again!
    Backup All Your Domains and MySQL Databases Automatically
    Grab this Website Backup Software today.

As long as the site is usable and easy to navigate, that's the most important thing to me. I don't mind if a site's design isn't "nice looking". About the only thing that really turns me away, is a site using Front Page themes.

Simplicity, simplicity, simplicity - anything else is ... confusing.

Take the site that forum member cpsitesaver.com mentioned (Dimension Servers) as an example.

I find their site nice, shiny and easy to look at but, some of the graphics appear to curvey and the menu on the right I mistakenly thought was clickable - The word Cpanel is (in orange text) but, the other orange text isn't

I prefer sites like forum member amygdela mentioned (Precision Effect).

It's quick easy, smooth and nothing that confuses you. It has everything like live chat and login and it's clean

Simplicity always wins
    ┣▇▇▇═─√v^√v^√♥
    - Proudly Hosted By: NetworkPanda.

I don't blame you. The website of a hosting company is the very first thing people encounter. If the presentation is unprofessional or poor quality, then it could very well be a sign of the service you will get too.
    InfTek Hosting
    Shared and Dedicated Kerio MailServer Solutions
    http://www.inftekhosting.com

site design is very important to me when choosing a host. if the design looks unprofessional, i doubt the host is professional at all.

Quote Originally Posted by clemie
    site design is very important to me when choosing a host. if the design looks unprofessional, i doubt the host is professional at all.
    You know, I thought that initially upon my first search for a host as well.
    And then nowadays I disagree.

Don't judge a book by it's cover. I've seen providers with the greatest looking sites with excellent information -- ye they couldn't manage a server worth a lick.

I've came across little text pages with ninjas operating them -- and was given the best service I've ever had.

Base it on something solid like their reputation. Image really is nothing.
    David
    Web hosting by Fused — For businesses with more important things to do than worry about their hosting.

You have to also tailor your site to the your niche market. You have to keep the site clean and consistant with other pages. This would be hard to achieve if your a reseller i.e. domain reseller backend, order form, and etc. If you do this you'll confuse the vistor.

Also remember quality design people are more attracted to regardless if the person feel company would be trustworthy or not. The point is to attract them and sell them on the key points as why choose you. Its similar if you enter a city you never been to, would you prefer going into an area that looks bad or an area that looks nice.

Keep it simple, professional, easily navigatable. Research successful sites in your market and use them as guidelines.

I side with David on this one. "Good/nice/cool web design" is such a relative term anyway.

The company's website design may play a more significant role if you're buying web design services, but not really when you're looking for hosting.

I'd have to say that if the web site is of originality, clean, easy to browse, and isn't hijacked up with 100 rotating flash images, it's a'ok to me. In the end however, I am more interested and concerned in that my web host is reliable and secure and that my web site will remain online, as I am paying to use their services, not to browse their web site.
    Personal Blog: Here | Currently Hosted By: GoDaddy | Twitter: @Quartz87

It's all about tastes, about what people like. I may see it and think it's nice and clean, others will see it and say it's white and yuki. Ofcourse, others don't know a thing about webdesign and if they don't see flash they can't say "wow". altho they don't know what flash is.
    Different people, different opinions.
    Most sites featured at http://www.cssremix.com are very nice.
    Got Fused?

Personally as a customer, I do not really care about how attractive the hosting company website is since I am not looking to them to design my website for me. What is important to me is that it has to be easy to navigate, quick loading and the relevant information are easily available. Of course issues like speed of responses and the hosting plans are vital to me.
    http://www.batchimage.com - Offering Batch Image Processing and TIFF/PDF Software Solutions

Quote Originally Posted by srik79
    average joe hates big corporations

thinking of average joe :

flash site = big corp (untrustworthy)
    ordinary/pretty basic site = mom/pop setup (more trustworthy)

but in hosting biz, don't know who they feel
    I disagree, for two reasons:

I can't agree with the "average joe hates big corporations" remark. Sure, some people like to say they hate the big corp's, but those are the same people who choose the big corps over the "little guys". Big corporations got that way because they, for the most part, earned the trust of their patrons.

Further more: I don't subscribe to the "big flashy site = big corporation" idea. Most big companies go for solid, average looking web sites that have a solid backbone and an "easy on the eye" look/feel. Visa.com / Visa.ca can serve as an example.

Is the look important for a web hosting company? Sure. It is only important though when accompanied by solid ad copy, ease of use, lots of content on hand and quick loading.

Simon
    EIRCA Ltd, home of The Genius Network™.

The look of a web site (the design of a site) is important for every kind of site, i mean, it is extremelly important for most content type of sites, why should not be important for a web hosting company?

I think that the look of the site is important as eye impact (someone on this thread said that he would close the site if he doesnt like the look, how could I show him how good my services are since he already closed the window, just as an example).

Now, if the question was "a good looking website makes a company be good" that would of be a totally different story, but you have to trick the visitors eye, and get his interest, make him digg deeper your site and to judge if you are the host that he was looking or no.

Simplicity, eye catchy, content, content, content, content and more content and informations.

A site's design is important to some extent, but word of mouth is more important. I've dealt with some very successfull webmasters that have very poor websites.

Some companies can get away with a bad website if it has solid information, they've been around for a while and provide a good service.
    BeeServe
    * Rock solid shared & reseller UK webhosting. No downtime™ *
    Now offering fully managed VPS servers

The question to those who prefer not to judge a book by its cover, can you name a company with a relatively unprofessional (can't find any other better phrase)web site, but whose hosting service is excellent?

Quote Originally Posted by billardent
    The question to those who prefer not to judge a book by its cover, can you name a company with a relatively unprofessional (can't find any other better phrase)web site, but whose hosting service is excellent?
    http://bqinternet.com/ -- some of the best, prompt service I've received and yet the site is simple and one of the ugliest I've ever seen. (No offense!)
    David
    Web hosting by Fused — For businesses with more important things to do than worry about their hosting.

From a company standpoint our goal is to attract customers, and keep the customers we have. Providing an easy to use website goes to both ends. Providing a clean and professional site is what attracts customers. As we are in the web services sector our website is a huge sales tool. For our customers our website is their connection to us. I think having a nice site really helps on both ends.
    Dimension Servers / Toll-Free: 1-888-750-6942
    RapidSSL Cert Included with ALL Reseller & Ultra Accounts
    24x7x365 Unbeatable Technical Support!
    Shared CPanel Hosting // Reseller WHM Hosting Solutions

Quote Originally Posted by David
    http://bqinternet.com/ -- some of the best, prompt service I've received and yet the site is simple and one of the ugliest I've ever seen. (No offense!)
    Web sites like that for hosting companies makes me think they are more professional in customer service and place more importance on the servers and maintaining them ... more geeky and barebones for want of better words

The website says we'll tell you how it is and even the bad news if we stuff up .... more like normal people and not acting up like a big corp.
    ┣▇▇▇═─√v^√v^√♥
    - Proudly Hosted By: NetworkPanda.

Quote Originally Posted by EncoderZ
    Web sites like that for hosting companies makes me think they are more professional in customer service and place more importance on the servers and maintaining them ... more geeky and barebones for want of better words

The website says we'll tell you how it is and even the bad news if we stuff up .... more like normal people and not acting up like a big corp.
    my first imp was its just a text page....

sorry i meant TEST page

I never pay any attention to design, unless it screams out for attention. Flashy stuff and noise and you have lost a potential client with me.
    If you don’t like the road you’re walking on, start paving a new one.

sure we need corporate look and feel at hosting company website.
    this express their corporate culture.

definately not look for hosting company, that cant even make their site interesting/corporate feel.

Your website says how serious you are. It's like your virtual office, and if it's missing all the essentials, which I believe are a) simplicity, b) facts, not jargon, c)originality and d) professionalism then you're going to have a hard time.

Lets also not forget how many 'small companies' with a decent webdesigner try to make a huge impression with a flashy site. Looking big isn't wrong, if done right with facts stated properly. At the end of the day a website -can- be misleading and is by no means an acurate measuring stick.

My 0.02.
    [[ Reyox Communications / USA based cloud servers & support / 9 years of hosting websites ]]
    [[ Affordable ASP.NET4, ColdFusion, PHP & MS-SQL, MySQL, cPanel/WHM & Windows Reseller Hosting + Virtual Private Servers ]]
    (www.reyox.com) - Mention WHT and get a discount on your first month!

i will usually just close the tab if i see a bunch of consistant coding error, or something that doesnt put high resolution monitors to use, or just uses a generic template. *points at prolinkhosting template*

I think it's important, as I guess the decision of some clients can be influenced by the design.

For me, overall first impression is usually important.
    It's not just the design, but what they say and how they say.
    I bough DreamHost account becaue they are frankly saying that they are crazy,
    and I liked that, combined with the FACT that what they are offering is really crazy.

But in case of NetFirms, I didn't care about the design, nor what they say, at all.
    I knew somewhat bad reputation of NetFirms and also what kind of infrastructure they have.
    It was simply too cheap to pass by.

If it's bad, I'll simply host a few joke sites for a year and I'll be happy to have paid $10 for that (other than using it as the backup of backup).

What I don't like the most is standard template look.
    And/or truly boring 99.999% reliability and blah blah that we see everywhere.
    Although I know some people are assured by the same look and feel, I'm usually looking for something different.
    Last edited by extras; 01-27-2007 at 10:37 AM.

Hi!
    What is not mentioned so far is trust. I mean...bottom line...what is the possible customer want? Well...a good price...that's for sure...however...this person is looking to build trust. A reseller even more so...can I trust you with my customers?

Will you be there when I have a question? problem? I personally could care less about websites for a host. I am looking for real contact info...at least alternate contact methods in case of a problem...perhaps even a link to a aux website in case the main one is down...etc.

I judge hosts on the initial dialogue..either chat or preferably email. How did they respond? Not only time frame..but were they professional? I've had several dedicated hosts email me in a IM fashion...mispelled words..extremely unprofessional...even mistating facts. Next!

I will try their ticket system. Pull domain records. Do google searches..etc.

I could care less about a fancy website...it really has nothing to do with "Is this host for real? Or a joke?" equation.

Bryon
    Bryon L Harvey
    Soil Relocation Engineer

ofcourse, there's far more important then just site design, but it is the initial impression you receive when visiting a web hosting company's website for the first time. Thank god more and more web hosters get a great site! As I said PE has a great site, but I just happened to stumble upon the new crucial webhosting design... Wow, very impressive. Everybody can read that website even older people with sour sight cause of the big fonts and bright colors. Hosts: this is your example
    hi there!

There are people here on webhostingtalk who don't have a website and sell hosting. They simply just send the paypal link via wht. Look in the offers section and you'll see this happening.

Crucial Web Host is offline [email protected]
    Quote Originally Posted by amygdela
    ofcourse, there's far more important then just site design, but it is the initial impression you receive when visiting a web hosting company's website for the first time. Thank god more and more web hosters get a great site! As I said PE has a great site, but I just happened to stumble upon the new crucial webhosting design... Wow, very impressive. Everybody can read that website even older people with sour sight cause of the big fonts and bright colors. Hosts: this is your example
    That's quite a compliment. Thank you very much, amygdela.

We have a blog post about the new design on the site if interested.
    CrucialHosting.com - Performance Hosting Solutions:
    SamsClub.com - Walmart.com - Ellusionist.com - CampSaver.com

Check out our Site Showcase for more big brand examples!

Quote Originally Posted by jmweb
    There are people here on webhostingtalk who don't have a website and sell hosting. They simply just send the paypal link via wht. Look in the offers section and you'll see this happening.
    I would trust that.

Quote Originally Posted by PE-Dave
    I would trust that.
    You're not their target... market.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast