VPS for power users?

Was curious if anyone knows if there is a market for VPS for what I'd consider "power users"... people who know what they're doing, don't need hand holding or a lot of support, and just want a good, stable, not oversold VPS with plenty of resources.

A while ago, I was a shopping for a VPS but couldn't find quite what I wanted. Reliable/reputable host, premium bandwidth (not necessarily a lot), 1gb of ram, plenty of disk space, and not oversold. Since I was looking for a Windows VPS, options get limited, most of which are using Virtuozzo, which I'm not necessarily crazy about.

A friend of mine was looking for the same thing and I was talking to him and we simply decided to build nice server, put VMware Server on it, and we'd each get our own VPS to mess around with, and have a common one for DB/mail/stats/DNS.

Got me to thinking though... surely there must be other people out there in the same boat. Offer a VPS of like 1gb ram, 30gb HD, 1Mbps bandwidth for maybe like $100-125/mo. Servers would be well built and kept at a moderate load. Since it would be geared towards power users and to help save money, support would be pretty basic. IE, no phone, no 24/7, just basic get up and going and if having trouble with the VM itself. Otherwise, install whatever you want (probably need to get in on SPLA for Windows though, but that is easy).

And, if I get together a couple of servers, could use some software for clustering/live migration of VMs like Virtual Machine Ex for VMware Server... be nice to transfer VMs between servers to keep them balanced, or account for downtime.

Think there are people interested in that, or is it a pipe dream?

A dream, most potential VPS buyers are just not knowledged enough.

I believe this is called an "un-managed" support plan.
    Matt Ayres - togglebox.com
    Linux and Windows Cloud Virtual Datacenters powered by Onapp / Xen
    Instant Setup, Instant Scalability, Full Lifecycle Hosting Solutions

www.togglebox.com

You could also try asking providers if they'd offer you a custom plan to meet your needs. I'm sure many are flexible with custom requirements.
    ~Jeff
    VPSLAND.com - Advanced Virtual Private Servers
    Managed Windows 2003 and Xen Linux VPS

I am not looking for VPS hosting, just curious if others are looking for the same thing that I was, as I am curious if there is a market.

I agree that most VPS buyers are knowledgeable enough to appreciate what I am looking at, but that is kind of my point. Instead of targetting most VPS buyers, target those that really know what they want, and want quality.

Quote Originally Posted by Qgyen
    Got me to thinking though... surely there must be other people out there in the same boat. Offer a VPS of like 1gb ram, 30gb HD, 1Mbps bandwidth for maybe like $100-125/mo. Servers would be well built and kept at a moderate load. Since it would be geared towards power users and to help save money, support would be pretty basic. IE, no phone, no 24/7, just basic get up and going and if having trouble with the VM itself. Otherwise, install whatever you want (probably need to get in on SPLA for Windows though, but that is easy).

)
    At that cost I gotta ask, why not just get a dedicated server? A dedicated with 1 gb ram for $125 is quite easy to come by.
    Greg Landis | Founder Jaguarpc - Keeping websites happy since 1998
    Managed IT Solutions - Business hosting | Virtual Private Servers | Cloud VPS Hosting | Dedicated servers | Backup service
    Follow us @ Facebook.com/Jaguarpc | Twitter: @JaguarPC | (888)-338-5261 | sales @ jaguarpc.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jag
    At that cost I gotta ask, why not just get a dedicated server? A dedicated with 1 gb ram for $125 is quite easy to come by.
    I agree. Don't see any valid reason to buy a VPS for 125$ .

I don't think there's a market for such solutions

There are servers that can go for that or less.

And with that price tag, they get 24/7 Telephone Support.

(Heck, who will reject more support?)

I think there is a market.

- Not oversold
    - Install own OS
    - Direct console access, with ability to mount your own floppy/cdrom on the virtual server
    - Clustered servers, able to instantly migrate VMs between servers with 0 downtime... great for maintenance, system failures, balancing resources.

I've seen hosts of the same specs (not necessarily features) for a higher price. And I've seen other hosts at 2x the price.

Is there a big market? No, most people want stuff dirty cheap. But those are also the users I wouldn't want (ie, high support). But that is part of the point... offer better quality, attract users more technically inclined.

VPS Providers can't really oversell, as overselling RAM will have DRASTIC effects.

Most VPS Providers good service with reasonable allowances.

Those who know enough will prefer a dedicated server.

Can VPS Hosts limit your CPU usage or power?

Yes, they can.

If they don't, everyone will probably be abusing the server.
    Some hosts practise Equal Share, whilst others set CPU Units to a limit.

Quote Originally Posted by tsj5j
    whilst others set CPU Units to a limit.
    Guess that's what modVPS is doing...