Thread: Javascript Tips

Javascript Tips

Hey, just thought I'd post a few things I've found recently for the web devs in the crowd.

First, if you haven't already found it, the FireBug extension for Firefox is one of the most valuable tools you never knew existed. It turns debugging weird javascript into a snap, and boy howdy have I run into some strange javascript recently. I just found this last week and the other few developers I've talked to either hadn't heard of it or had just found it.

Second, to make *writing* javascript easier, I introduce to you The Prototype Framework. Instead of endless document.getElementById('elementid').value statements, you can just use $F('elementid'); ... and it's got awesome handlers for everything from Ajax to looping through DOM elements.

Third, for the web 2.0 kids in the crowd, I give you Scriptaculous -- it'll allow you to do autocompletes and some of the other fun tricks that the cool kids are playing with.

Here's to Javascript in 2007 ... it's finally starting to make sense.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by karlkatzke
    First, if you haven't already found it, the FireBug extension for Firefox is one of the most valuable tools you never knew existed. It turns debugging weird javascript into a snap, and boy howdy have I run into some strange javascript recently. I just found this last week and the other few developers I've talked to either hadn't heard of it or had just found it.
    I'm glad you posted that extension, it RULES! It's absolutely incredible and is very easy to use. I highly recommend it for designers looking to begin coding their own designs and projects. It helps you learn by exposing some of the techniques of experienced developers and design teams.
    .: Poster powered by DataBeyond.com:.
    .: Web Design & Development | Identity & Print | Multimedia :.

yep that's really cool. helped we a lot w/ ma job