Napster..anybody else?

Hi!
    I just noticed my napster collection is about to reach a hallmark in sheer size. Tonight..I will break the 3K songs barrier. I was wondering if others have/are building collections of this size...because it does take quite a bit of work to merely manage it. I was wondering if others have had the problems I have had in the last few weeks. Thankfully...it seems to be over..but never have I had this many problems with it...and have came up with some rather nifty techniques I will share if others would like.

Yes..it was built over many moons over dialup...so...it did take quite a bit of time.

Anyways...just wondering if others would benefit from such.

Bryon
    Bryon L Harvey
    Soil Relocation Engineer

28, 323 songs. My method for sorting (that does cause some problems sometimes, but overall works very well)

My Music --> A, B, C, D, E, etc.... --> Open up the 'E' folder and then presented with new folders --> Earth Wind and Fire, Eddie Money, Electric Light Orchestra, Eminem, etc... --> Open up 'Eminem' --> Curtain Call, Encore, Slim Shady LP, etc... --> Open up 'Curtain Call' --> songtitle1.mp3, songtitle2.mp3, etc...

It works well, save for when I know the title but not the author. I then have to use WMP library search (which works very very fast on this machine)
    Kevin

Just realized my above post had nothing at all to do with napster..so you can disregard it if you want (misunderstood your original post)
    Kevin

Hi!
    Do you backup your licenses? Backup the music? I do...I've had serious problems with DRM corruption..one time I caused myself..by hitting the power strip off while it was adding songs to the library. Not good.

At first I thought it was better to re-add the songs in small portions..like "mus/a"..then "mus/b" but it seems that just adding them all at once seems to work better. I have it organize by album as well...it's not uncommon for me to have several versions of one song..album..live...etc...so this works well. It's a option from within napster. Also...I can't stand playing from within the napster sub-WM player..I did upgrade to WM 11...and like it quite a bit. Just be careful...Napster interface does not get along too well with Windows Media Player..so close one out and wait a few secs before starting the other.

My biggest gripe is licenses. Have you noticed some songs must be played online one time before being able to play offline? For a collection the size of mine..this is not fun at all. Blah..I'll deal with it...I love the music.

I have everything from Bach to Gene Autry...to Van Halen. Almost a little bit of everything.

>>Sokay. perhaps others can benefit from your post and my napster advice as well.
    Bryon
    Bryon L Harvey
    Soil Relocation Engineer

I have a music collection of more than 25,000 songs. Sorry not with Napster though. I owned many of the cd's. I use Jriver audio to manage the library.

JRiver does audio, Video, and pictures and tv. It is great. JRiver manages the library much like was posted above.

I use Rhapsody now for all of my new music. I pay 14.99 and I am able to download as many songs as I want to my player for no extra charge. Rhapsody has a license backup option I believe for purchased to music so if you loose it on your pc your license backups will save you.

Does Napster have a backup option for licenses or do you have to do this yourself? I have not used Napster in a really long time if you know what I mean.

I sold my IPOD along time ago.

Hi!
    You have to do it yourself..via backing up good ole Documents/allusers/DRM and system state...works great...but it's anything but less filling. The song files are backed up manually via external docking bay to several other hard drives.
    I was delighted how easy it was to take apart the external seagate hard drive enclosure and make a docking bay out of it.

DAng..25,000? I'll never reach that...a few at a time...that's good enough for me. Napster is $9.95/month unlimited but only to computer...then $5.00 extra per month to transfer to a portable player.

I was delighted to download that silly "I wanna be a cowboy" by Boys Don't Cry last night..along with several others.

Dialup brings with it challenges..but I can deal with it. I have itunes and sony bought music as well...now consolidated into one library.

Bryon
    Bryon
    Bryon L Harvey
    Soil Relocation Engineer

Hi!
    I'm sort of disappointed this didn't spark more interest. One thing I love to do is to *talk* about different kinds of music...and share some little-known names that are exceptional...in more ways than one.

I'll try and jump start this off by throwing out some names-

If you like Flamanco-style guitar...there is Jesse Cook.

Best tracks: Air, Mario Takes a walk, Tempest and many others..but that will give you something to start with

If you like incredible female vocals..take a look at Renee Olstead.

Best tracks: Someone to watch over me

Of course...there is Allison Krauss...who has even done a track with Yo-Yo Ma:

Simple Gifts

If like Funk...this track is..well...exceptional:

Billy Preston-Outa-Space

If like Classical, anything by the ASO is great. I have heard them live...and they are incredible..to say the least.

Much of my collection is movie music...even plays. I think some of the greatest music created was for movies.

Jazz: Fourplay..Boney James..Rick Braun

Best tracks: Grazzin in the Grass, Bali Run

Piano: David Benoit, Peter Kater

David needs no intro..but Peter does. You've probably never even heard the name before...but he has exceptional talent and rare mastery of the piano.

You can get but a taste on Napster...but Sony has all his music.

On Napster: Coming Home, Spirit

and you can start to buy tracks from Sony as I have..like C Samba Run and Mom's Song....and go from there.

Bryon
    Bryon L Harvey
    Soil Relocation Engineer

Bah...

"We're sorry, Napster can only accept subscribers within the United States. However, you can still use Napster.com to discover new music and listen to 30-second samples. "

That kinda sucks