How to get rid of Authorization Required?

Hi,

I have folders / files on my website that I want people to be able to access, but when I try to access them via a browser I get a login prompt, "Your not welcomed here", and a 401 Authorization Required page. How can I make it (using SSH or FTP) so that these files are viewable from the browser? My server is running Fedora.

Thanks guys.

just edit the htaccess in the directory to take out the protection or just delete the htaccess

Hi, I deleted all the .htaccess files I could find, but the problem still remains. Weird!

The first question is, are you running windows or linux? Then, what control panel are you using?

Did you check your chmod settings for the file folder and files

Honestly it sounds like a common Windows hosting IIS issue which is why I was asking, but it can relate to many different things.

My server is running Linux, Fedora specifically. The permissions for the folders are set to 777, according to my FTP program WS_FTP.

Verify the files are set properly also. And which control panel? If none make sure the user running apache can read the files.