Does it matter where server is based?

Hi all,
    I am looking at leasing a dedi server. I have never had one before and have questions I hope someone could help me with!

Does it matter where the server is located? I mean in which country?
    I am based in the UK.

After looking at quite a few sites, I don't think I can afford a managed server, how difficult is it to manage your own? I understand this is a very broad question but my main concerns is if I were instance to be hacked or a ddos attack....is it down to me to sort? I am quite confident with most things pc and web related, just no nothing about servers, linux etc.

I am wanting to host a few websites on the server, maybe get the odd paying customer......
    #
    Any help or advise?

ps..I was looking at leasewebs.com as the prices seem reasonable but they offer no SLA....is this a no'no?

Hi,

Although I personally have no problem with leaseweb, as I think they offer a good service for the price, there have been numerous posts about problems with support there lately. Would hate to see you back in a week complaining.

Servers do tend to be cheaper in the USA, but there is some very cheap German providers out there. Connectivity will be better for you to Germany than the USA. If you can't afford a manager service, consider paying a security company a one time fee to secure your server and then learn the ropes. Since you are new to it, try looking for a server with a control panel. DirectAdmin tends to be the cheapest.

Careful who you sign up with. Some budget hosts will charge you reinstall fees or cleanup fees, and rightly so, if you are hacked or if they are needed to do work on the server.

Another option is to consider a VPS. That opens a whole new level of options for you, in terms of cost and management.

If you post your budget I'm sure people will be able to recommend some good hosts for you.

Thank you for your reply, much appreciated.

I guess I was probably looking at around 65-75 Max.

I have used Cpanel for a few years but not administered it. Using Directadmin, are we talking about learning telnet? or is it all browser based just like the client side?

Is the German companies likely to have en' support?

I will have a read up on VPS, thanks for the suggestion

I second the vps notion. If your budget can fit in a dedi but cant go all out for managed, you should be able to end up with a fairly high end managed VPS for the same price or possibly lower than your dedicated server.

edit: just noticed you posted right before I did with that budget im sure theres a managed vps that could suit you.

Many thanks

You could probably get a managed server for $150 a month in the USA, A Sempron or athlon, maybe a P4. You probably not going to get a complete management (i.e they will clear up your mistakes or if you have vulnerable scripts etc) But enough for them to do the intial admin and secure your server and do the updates and maintenence.

You won't get a big difference between Uk and Usa, If you are going to upload a lot of files regularly then you may benefit from a uk server. But you defietly won't get any managed server in the Uk for that price.

Good Luck in your search.
    Data Republic - UK Managed Servers - Server Management - Managed Backup/R1Soft
    Follow us on Twitter to get exclusive sales & updates.
    R1Soft Agents Monthly !

Thank you very much.
    I have a reseller account with webfusion here is the uk, they offer VPS which cost LESS! than my reseller account???
    I have had trouble with them in the past but downtime has been little over the past couple of months. I may go with them.

Thanks for you help so far guys. Much appreciated.

I would reccomend you get a UK server.

You will get much better connectivity and speed and less likely of having network problems. Another benefit is support, if using phone support will be much cheaper and won't have issues with them being in another time zone.

A managed VPS will be within your budget or an unmanaged dedicated server.
    Peter Verrill
    Real Hosts Limited
    Real-Hosts.co.uk - Excellent UK network for (un)managed Dedicated Servers, Cloud Servers, Colocation and Rack Space

Thanks.

Can you tell me why a VPS would be cheaper than a reseller account?
    I originally thought that there would be less accounts on a VPS than a server with shared hosting, but am now thinking there would be more. Is that right and is that why it is cheaper?
    Am just concerned with traffic from other VPS clients, should I be?

Quote Originally Posted by jon123
    Thanks.

Can you tell me why a VPS would be cheaper than a reseller account?
    I originally thought that there would be less accounts on a VPS than a server with shared hosting, but am now thinking there would be more. Is that right and is that why it is cheaper?
    Am just concerned with traffic from other VPS clients, should I be?
    That doesn't seem to make much sense. It could be they have their shared hosting in the UK and are getting the VPS from America?
    John Strong - SolidHost COO
    http://www.SolidHost.com
    SolidHost offers fully managed Linux and Windows VPS's in the Netherlands , with Plesk, cPanel, Directadmin and Helm.

There VPS plans don't mention how much RAM you get, which is strange in itself.

Location does matter, it affects performance. Where are your users mostly located? You want a server that will be close to them geographically so that they have the best speeds. However, based on your post it seems like you might be better off getting a reseller account. If you don't know how to manage a server and can't afford to pay for one that is managed, reseller plans are an excellent solution. You can host multiple sites, and don't need to worry about administering the machine.

Quote Originally Posted by mj4589
    Location does matter, it affects performance. Where are your users mostly located? You want a server that will be close to them geographically so that they have the best speeds. However, based on your post it seems like you might be better off getting a reseller account. If you don't know how to manage a server and can't afford to pay for one that is managed, reseller plans are an excellent solution. You can host multiple sites, and don't need to worry about administering the machine.
    I already have a reseller account.

It doesn't mention ram does it?

I am definately going for UK and either VPS or Dedicated. I can get cheaper dedicated server with same host but not great specs but it will start me on the right path. As mentioned here, it maybe best for me to get a VPS to start with.

If its going to be a web server, you should get the server in the country you think most of your visitors will come from, not necessarily where you are. I've tested downloads from a number of US providers in the $100 server market from a machine in a Level 3 data centre in London and I got the best speed (600 Kbytes/s) from HiVelocity - most only achieved 400Kbytes/sec. For comparison that same machine could download the centos ISO from the UK Mirror service at 8Mbytes/sec.

i use poundhost. They are good and reply to your support in 10mins of emailling. It is easy to manage a server if you have the right stuff. You can get a cpanel server from them for about 70/mnth. Pay them to set up cpanel. That about a one off 25. Also ask them to install the CSF Firewall. Once that is done you are set.
    Wholesale Direct International Sip Termination & UK Numbering (DID's/DDI's)
    Over 250 Direct Interconnects with guarnateed CLI/FAX | SIP & TDM Interconnectivity
    http://wholesale.alohatelecom.co.uk | Instant SIP Trunking at unbeatable rates http://www.voipyonder.com/

thank you both