Thread: Home VPS

Home VPS

Hello,

For my College Project I need several different machines connected in a LAN network for testing. Unfortunately I dont have more than one laptop.

I'm planning to buy a brand new budget computer and Install a virtualization software to simulate different machines/OS (Linux+FreeBSD and maybe Windows).

Since I'm completely newbie to VPS, why questions are:

#1 What Virtualization software should I go for? Xen/OpenVZ/Etc. ?

#2 One ethernet card is shared among all VPS Operating Systems? There will be no problem assigning different IPs on each OS?

#3 Finally... Any advice ?

If you are doing this for home I would say get a free copy of VMPlayer and use that as its going to be the easiest and most flexible and you can run Windows or Linux for the host OS
    Russ Foster - Industry Curmudgeon

Quote Originally Posted by a2b2
    If you are doing this for home I would say get a free copy of VMPlayer and use that as its going to be the easiest and most flexible and you can run Windows or Linux for the host OS
    Hello, thanks for the reply!
    And can I assign different IPs on both OS ?

Like.. 192.168.1.1 (windows) 192.168.1.2 (Linux) and connect to them with no problem through my other computer 192.168.1.3 ?

For home I use VMware Server (Its free!) http://www.vmware.com/products/server/

I used VMware Server at home before, but eventually switched to VMware Workstation. It rocks. Quick, easy to use, can drag files to/from the VM quickly. Easier to clone VMs too... VMware Server could, but I had to go in and manually manipulate some of the config files so it would clone but use a common base image.

WMware Vs Parallels ?

Which of them do you think it's better ?

Parallels Website: www.parallels.com

Does anyone know the answer to this?