1. supermicro 6015T twin servers in 1U

http://www.supermicro.com/products/s...S-6015T-TV.cfm
    new superserver from supermicro: 2 independent dual socket 771 servers in single 4-bay 1U chassis.

each independent server is capable of dual Xeon Clovertown (quad-core) for total of 16-cores in single 1U chassis. each server also support 8x 4G FBDIMM max.

Intel is pushing Clovertown with very aggressive pricing! E5310 (4x 1.6G cores) is about the same price with woodcrest 5130, and E5320 (4x 1.86G cores) costs the same with woodcrest 5140.

I like the thinking behind these new chassis, but I don't like that it's a single PSU for both servers... and of course you'd probably only fit a few of these things in each rack
    Robin Balen
    Gyron Internet Ltd - http://gyron.net/
    UK colocation, managed hosting and connectivity services with 100% uptime SLAs

I wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole.

Single PS kills it for me on a system of that level.

If it had dual p/s and you could put two dual-port FC HBA's in there with 16GB ram on each node and 2 local storage disks..... It would make one heck of a killer VMWare ESX box.

Although, you wouldn't be able to add a secondary nic so you would have to run your management interface on vswitch 0 and not have a team for your VM network and then push your vmotion (if you go with that level) on the secondary nic.

I just don't see what the ideal use for this box would be?

A few hundred of them with lots of CPU and RAM, but little/no local storage in some kind of parallel cluster? Doesn't matter if you loose a node or two due to PSU failures in that scenario.
    Robin Balen
    Gyron Internet Ltd - http://gyron.net/
    UK colocation, managed hosting and connectivity services with 100% uptime SLAs

How hot is that thing going to get?

Quote Originally Posted by [email protected]
    other than lack of redundant power, can they compete with 7U 10-node blade? you can put 14-node in 7U spacing with these things.....

The few people I know that run blades don't do it to save space (any more space is a commodity for them). They need identical hardware that is easily replaced, and I'm sure the idea of bringing two servers down just to fix one would be a big turn off to them
    -Mat Sumpter
    Director, Product Engagement
    Penton Media

With the current power and cooling limits it won't be an easy task to fill a couple of racks with them without hitting your supplier's power and cooling limits...

Perhaps handy for small customers with a single server to colocate? Run one half and leave the second as spare hardware. You can get redundant everything into a single U, except the power supply of course....

Quote Originally Posted by [email protected]
    Intel is pushing Clovertown with very aggressive pricing! E5310 (4x 1.6G cores) is about the same price with woodcrest 5130, and E5320 (4x 1.86G cores) costs the same with woodcrest 5140.
    Can you show us where to find this pricing?

Quote Originally Posted by mj4589
    Can you show us where to find this pricing?

www.apaqdigital.com