Thread: Media Temple GS

Media Temple GS

For past sometime I am looking at the Grid Server offering from MT and subsequents rants from WHT.

It has been around 3 months (?) since Grid servers were put into service by MT. So, Can I have some current feedback about them? I have heard MT is a very good ISP around (I am with Hostgator after I got good reports at WHT but want to place a big service on, say MT).

I was thinking of Mosso for a long time. But $100 on an unproven technology does not go too well. $20.00 is the right price to start.

I am surprised to see there are no great restrictions in their TOC. Like limited CPU time etc. I also saw one page that was hosted on MT got "dugg" by a count of 700 (at least 5000 simultaneous users) and still survived. I read they have 400+ servers on GS plan -- Read here

Please advice whether I can go ahead with GS plan? I am interested. I put my bet on Hostgator based on WHT and it was a perfect choice. On my 5GB plan I actually hosted 4.98 GB without any problem from Hostgator.

This time also I will be hanging on for you guys.

Gattoo

There is a (mt) thread with about 20 pages of content, just read the last few pages of updates to see whats up.

As was mentioned, read the prolonged thread about the current status of MT right from the beginning. Basically it is a lot better then when it intitially launched, however it is not at the point where I can consider it perfect for my hosting needs.

My main complaints continue to be the sometimes rather slow responce times, that is to say the domain resolves and most of the website preloads, but it hangs on what still appears to be the MySQL related tasks. The other complaint I still have is that the email, while nice with the AJAX interface is just sometimes kinda slow, the same way the website is.

There is obviously little point for them to have CPU/MEM quotas in the TOS as that is why there is a 'point' usage system, which btw I'd hate to go over on as it gets rather expensive, but you'd have to have a rather active site to achieve this anyway.

For me, MT isn't even at "fair" point. When I sogned up, the next day it was down for over 4 hours. Add-on domain support for domains are poor, just forwards to main domain, be nice to have it seperate. Websites always responded slow and speed of websites kept going slower and slower. Load times for email wasn't that bad, never had a complaint on that part.

What is the thread URL

MrRadik, could you give me the URL? There are a number of threads.

@gattoo: http://webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=555581 is one example

@boldoutlook: kinda confused what you mean about the domains? It lets you point a domain to your account and have it in a totally seperate folder from your main domain or other domains which is a lot more seperation then cpanel setups provide, curious what you meant since I just finished adding extra domains.