Question Speciffic Hosting Sugestions

Hello,

I have been trying to speak with customer representatives of different hosting companies, and they proved to be less than knowledgeable.

Please sugest a host that allows access to "php.ini" and ".htaccess" files. My main goal is to be able to use files encrypted by ionCube's PHP Encoder, which need a loader, which in turn needs to be called from php.inis.

My last resort would be Virtual Private Servers, but the only thing that cuts my enthusiasm is pricing, and less than knowledgeable repps (no offense).

Thank you for your time and resources.
    - GD

The general policy for hosts in this respect is to provide full access to .htaccess, but no access to php.ini. so probably upgrade to VPS is the way out.

At Dreamhost you can setup your own php.ini
    http://wiki.dreamhost.com/index.php/PHP.ini

And if you know where to look the first year will be almost free, and even so you have 97 days to ask for a refund, so you don't risk much.
    Around two decades of web marketing experience & millions of visitors.
    NunoAlex.com explains my expertise & how I can help you.
    Contact me!

Its very common to almost any host to have Ioncube installed, and if is not, your host should be able to install it in minutes.
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

Thanks for your feedback everybody.

Coupons, or anybody else that stumbles upon this thread, care elaborate on any experiences (either + or -) you or anybody you know had with DreamHost?

Input is greatly appreciated.

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/search.php

Type in Dreamhost and click 'Search Now'.

You don't need to run ioncube as an extension...you can just use the runtimes which can run their own directory...this will work on almost any host, even some free hosts.

www.godaddy,com allows access to both

Most web hosts should already have ionCube installed, if not, you can request it.

As layer0 above explained, you do not even need it installed server-wide, you can use the runtimes and run it in it's own directory. This will work with any web host.

User4937, here is what I posted in an earlier thread:

I host with DreamHost but mainly for static webpages, or small wordpress sites. It works very good for that, and it's the few companies that I trust and renew on a year basis. It's hard to beat that price for multiple domain hosting.

If you need sql speed, better to go with a unclustered environment.
    http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showpo...79&postcount=8

So it all depends on how critical is your site. For that price of course Dreamhost isn't perfect. It overdelivers for it's price.
    But I use 5 different webhosters, so when I need something that the other doesn't offer, or is more suitable, I can decide where to put it

What kind of site will you host? How many concurrent users? CPU intensive?
    Contact me!

Runtimes won't work either. My host makes it impossible to use runtimes.

The site will have the ability to register users, authenticate their identities thru credit card processing, and thru the profiles they will set up (which will include billing, contact, etc info) they will be able to purchase products related to the interests they reveal thru their browsing patterns (prolly use Google's arsenal for that one).

Also there will be different bidding processes taking place. Naturally all authenticated users will have access to viewing those bids, place bids, and be notified of the result.
    Last edited by user4937; 01-25-2007 at 07:43 PM.

How is it impossible to use runtimes?

Check out what my host said:
    ... At this time Yahoo! Web Hosting has no plans to modify existing server
    parameters. Based on current user needs, we have found that the settings
    that are available meet the needs of a majority of our users. Yahoo! Web
    Hosting continually evaluates the needs of users to determine when a
    server modification is required.

We thank you for your inquiry regarding modifications to Yahoo! Web
    Hosting. We will forward your inquiry to our Web Hosting Suggestions
    department for further consideration.

You can send in your suggestions, feedback and feature requests at

[email protected]

I cannot believe there is nobody else using ionCube loaders on Yahoo!

I tried putting everything in the same directory, it will not work.

Hey I might be missing some way-too-obvious alternative.
    Take a look at this link.

And... now what?! New host?

If you carefully search you'll find that Yahoo and Godaddy basic plans haven't some of the usual features you can find in other webhosters.
    Contact me!

So DreamHost is worth looking into, correct?

It's interesting to note that most hosting companies do NOT advertise their policy regarding the use of a php.ini file. Have you found any hosts that mention whether they allow the use or do not allow the use of a php.ini file? I am just curious if there is a host that documents their particular policy on their website.

Dave

godaddy.com

I would say the standard is not allowing access to php.ini, as I don't believe any of the standard control panels have it built in. (H-Sphere, CPanel, Plesk, etc.)

Quote Originally Posted by Tetraboy
    I would say the standard is not allowing access to php.ini, as I don't believe any of the standard control panels have it built in. (H-Sphere, CPanel, Plesk, etc.)
    When under a phpsuexec setup, cPanel will allow it. I *think* you can do something similar with Plesk too, not sure on H-Sphere, but anything is possible.

Dreamhost is worth a try. What I can guarantee you is that they respect a refund request. You have 3 months to do it, and considering the cost of the first year...
    Contact me!

Thanks for the feedback on DreamHost.
    I am waiting for a response from their CS..

Will post back the end results.

Quote Originally Posted by user4937
    Thanks for the feedback on DreamHost.
    I am waiting for a response from their CS..

Will post back the end results.
    Apropos of nothing, after four weeks with DreamHost, it seems just fine.

I had some erratic database performance issues on my WordPress pages and message forums that were quickly resolved by moving the databases to different servers.

After that, it's been great.

Of course, I have a little over two more months to decide
    Best,
    Captain Marvel
    Host/Executive Producer, The Paracast, www.theparacast.com
    I do not represent the hosting industry!

Quote Originally Posted by user4937
    Hello,

I have been trying to speak with customer representatives of different hosting companies, and they proved to be less than knowledgeable.

Please sugest a host that allows access to "php.ini" and ".htaccess" files. My main goal is to be able to use files encrypted by ionCube's PHP Encoder, which need a loader, which in turn needs to be called from php.inis.

My last resort would be Virtual Private Servers, but the only thing that cuts my enthusiasm is pricing, and less than knowledgeable repps (no offense).

Thank you for your time and resources.
    - GD
    You should be able to use your own php.ini file with any cPanel host.

Regards,

Quote Originally Posted by utropicmedia-karl
    You should be able to use your own php.ini file with any cPanel host.

Regards,
    Incorrect, this can generally only be done with hosts running a phpsuexec setup, that is not applicable to *all* cPanel hosts.

Quote Originally Posted by layer0
    Incorrect, this can generally only be done with hosts running a phpsuexec setup, that is not applicable to *all* cPanel hosts.
    Let me qualify my response further:

cPanel has the tools that will let you make the edits and view those files if your host supports it.