Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by John[H4Y]
    I think that you will find out that ThePlanet does not allow you to use your own hardware, equipment, or servers. If that is a problem for you, you may have to look elsewhere! From what I understand, they USED to do standard colo, but now only do racks full of their own machines. Looking at it from a stability standpoint, it makes me wonder what ever happened to their old colo customers when they made this decision. On some levels, a larger company is better/more stable, but on others you have to worry about how far they will go to make more profit. The bigger guys don't always put the customer first.
    I remember LT used to colo with them, but they were forced to move out or something to that effect. This was a while ago.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyB
    I always scratch my head on where people get this sort of information. I know of companies with racks at ThePlanet with commits of 30mbps give or take that continue to add machines with no issue. The only policy I know if that has changed is shipping of things out you now need to cordinate that with a carrier opposed to ThePlanet doing it for you and sending it by UPS or whatever.
    To ease your head scratching, let me explain. I had inquired about some colo space there and the information that they gave me was to the effect of "we used to do colo, but we don't anymore".
    H4Y Technologies LLC .. Since 2001!!
    "Smarter, Cheaper, Faster" - SMB, Reseller, VPS, Dedicated, Colo hosting done right.

ZERO PACKETLOSS, ZERO DOWNTIME Dedicated and Colo - USA: IA, CA, NC, OR, NV
    **http://h4y.us** **http://iwfhosting.net**
    Voice: (866)435-5642. *** askus at host4yourself d0t com

Quote Originally Posted by John[H4Y]
    To ease your head scratching, let me explain. I had inquired about some colo space there and the information that they gave me was to the effect of "we used to do colo, but we don't anymore".
    Well their website says they do co-lo http://www.theplanet.com/specialized...ns/colocation/ . This website is also fairly new. On top of the fact that I know of people adding their own servers to their racks and such. I think maybe the sales person you talked to was very misinformed?

Update:

I decided to use their live chat and got a response back

They are not accepting new co-location customers at this time apparently.

Talk about confusing they advertise it on their site and current co-lo's can continue to add racks and things like that but new people cannot get space.
    Last edited by TonyB; 01-26-2007 at 05:05 PM.
    Tony B. - Chief Executive Officer
    Hawk Host Inc. Proudly serving websites since 2004
    Quality Shared and Cloud Hosting
    PHP 5.2.x - PHP 8.1.X Support!

If you want the best, I would recommend you look elsewhere than ThePlanet, and maybe even elsewhere than C4D. If you are talking about $50 million per year in sales, that is what, $1 Million per week? $143,000 per day? About $5900 per minute? If my math is correct.

If you truly, want the very best, then figure out how to get into the building or very near the building that houses the MAE in Dallas (see http://www.mae.net/fac/mae-central.htm) and figure out who is closest or even in the same building. From there you just need to be sure that they have multiple providers and that they use BGP, etc. all the standard things you would check out.
    reliable colocation ... Dedicated Servers | Dedicated Server VMs | FAST links to Vitelity.com and Conexiant.net
    patrick@zill.net Cell +1.717.201.3366

MrZillNet, just curious; why MAE? I'm not sure if anyone even uses the MAEs anymore. Most of the Tier 1 providers peer privately at Equinix I believe. I would say most interconnection happens either at an Equinix or a Carrier Hotel. Square, rectangle.

lockbull, great read.
    pretty much everything was good today.
    I guess Friday brings out the intelligent ones!
    finally a thread with some great input!

Thanks again,
    Kyle Keith

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Keith
    lockbull, great read.
    pretty much everything was good today.
    I guess Friday brings out the intelligent ones!
    finally a thread with some great input!

Thanks again,
    Kyle Keith
    So really you didn't come here for any advice you just wanted someone to agree with you?

Umm, no. The failure rate of small businesses is much higher than midmarket and Fortune 500/Global 2000 companies. The day Enron crashed there were probably hundreds of small businesses that went under; Enron was a very unique case in any regards. Large publicly traded companies are much more transparent than small private companies; if a customer has concerns on their vendor's financial status it's all out there to be viewed. I've worked on several projects for large companies, and if a vendor wasn't publicly traded and it was an important part of the infrastructure, they'd routinely require certified financial statements and/or funding documentation (under NDA of course). This board is littered with the horror stories of customers getting shut off and being locked out of their equipment by small operators unable to pay their bills, having family difficulties, etc. That's not going to happen with a large company; they don't simply shut down overnight.

I don't want the above to come off as anti-small business, because I'm definitely not. I've worked at Fortune 500 companies as well as 5 person startups, and certainly don't have a preference for working in a large organization. But I think alot of people here seem to have this anti-large business vibe, implying or directly stating that going with a smaller operation is always better and leads to better service. And that's simply not the case and ignoring some of the important elements that go into some customer's decision making process, such as financial solvency, size/scale, stability, etc. These factors are important to some people, and in my experience I've had plenty of small companies offer horrible service and large companies bend over backwards even if it wasn't a large account.
    Your point is a good one, however it's fair to note that there are a larger number of smaller organisations in the industry than there are bigger ones, so of course hundreds are going to go under. I'd personally say it's more a matter of professionalism than company size, say a certain person decides they don't want to be in the industry anymore they close their 'company', or don't pay bills, etc, and that's where most of the horror stories you see around here come from.

Datacentres are different, datacentres cost a lot of money, you aren't going to be getting a family that decided to build a datacentre, these are large organisations who have a properly planned and managed business, they probably have to borrow money or attract investors in order to fund their startup and for that need a very solid business plan. This is why I am saying no matter the size of the facility and how much money they are turning over, you are likely to see a simular financial status.

You also make another good point with regards to big companies being worse than smaller companies, etc. I think it all really boils down to personal experience.

Dan
    █ Dan Kitchen | Technical Director | Razorblue
    █ ddi: (+44) (0)1748 900 680 | e: dkitchen@razorblue.com
    █ UK Intensive Managed Hosting, Clusters and Colocation.
    █ HP Servers, Cisco/Juniper Powered BGP Network (AS15692).

Quote Originally Posted by MrZillNet
    If you truly, want the very best, then figure out how to get into the building or very near the building that houses the MAE in Dallas (see http://www.mae.net/fac/mae-central.htm) and figure out who is closest or even in the same building. From there you just need to be sure that they have multiple providers and that they use BGP, etc. all the standard things you would check out.
    The MAE buildings were popular in the 1990's. The majority of major peering is done privately, or through PAIX/Equinix/etc. Verizon Business is the only listed provider at MAE-Central/Dallas according to that link. Why would you want to locate there if you didn't want to single home to Verizon Business?
    [QuickPacket™] [AS46261]
    Located in Ashburn, VA, Los Angeles, CA, Chicago, IL, and Manchester, UK
    Since 2003 - 20+ Years! Dedicated Servers, Co-location, DDoS Filtering, Data Backup & More!

Quote Originally Posted by RazorBlue - Dan
    So really you didn't come here for any advice you just wanted someone to agree with you?

Dan

Well actually no. according to my confrence call with an Equinix account manager today this thread has helped me a lot!

I like the idea of not worrying who the datacenter peers with when selecting the datacenter. With Equinix IDC i can buy bandwidth from whoever I want.

this is a pretty good thing because if a client wants lots of bandwidth i could purchase from cogent for somewhere around $30/meg.
    I would probably purchase from InterNAP or level3 or i dont know... when it comes down to it I will have to decide on that but it makes it much easier.

Cogent would be more around $10-$20 mark, assuming 100mbit+ commits. Quite a few would be aswell in Equinix Chicago/Ashburn at least.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12