Hybrid View

Question How to disable paypal from accepting credit cards?

Ok, I am into this trouble since a past couple of weeks, people are paying me by fraud credit cards and after a while paypal is hanging me with the "paypal chargebacks"

I want to know if there is really any way I can disable accepting credit cards on my paypal account?

If you can help in any other way to fight this fraud CC transaction, I will be greatful to you.

Thanx

Don't sell to scammers!

How would I know who is a scammer and who is not?

Can't you see their name, address, IP address? Don't their address and CVV match up? Do you ship it to the card address? Don't you have delivery confirmation?
    If you have all this, I don't know why PayPal is not fighting these chargebacks for you.

I fight chargebacks and win the majority of them... but then again I don't use PayPal.

Quote Originally Posted by Festus2005
    Can't you see their name, address, IP address? Don't their address and CVV match up? Do you ship it to the card address? Don't you have delivery confirmation?
    If you have all this, I don't know why PayPal is not fighting these chargebacks for you.
    Seller cannot check buyer's credit card information when using paypal.
    PremiumReseller.com Hyper-V SSD VPS USA London Singapore
    Reseller Hosting Cpanel PURE SSD CloudLinux Softaculous
    Windows Reseller Asp.NET 4.5 MSSQL SmarterMail Enterprise

Quote Originally Posted by PremiumHost
    Seller cannot check buyer's credit card information when using paypal.

Wow so someone using PayPal can only blindly use PayPal's judgment and blindly rely on them to fight chargebacks for them? If PayPal can just simply take your money back, what incentive to they have to fight chargebacks? It would be easier and cheaper just to take the money back from the merchant!

That is scary!

can you set it to manually approve each transaction? I don't know if it would show ahead of time which is a CC payment.

I think the only way you can block payments using credit cards is by accepting the payments through a personal account since a personal account can't accept credit card payments. Generally not a reasonable solution.

Unfortunately, PayPal doesn't give you enough information about buyers and transactions to effectively screen for fraud when using their standard method, but if you use Express Checkout you get more information and control, which can help. But it is not easy to set up !
    Last edited by Shawna888; 01-25-2007 at 10:02 AM.

Not sure whether this will work, but I would suggest having 2 payment buttons on your site, one for paypal payments and the other for CC payments. Generally, scammers will tend to click on the CC button instead as it is more tempting to do so. With a CC payment processor that assists you in checking for fraud orders like 2checkout, you should be able to reduce the number of chargebacks.

Accepting payments only from verified paypal accounts will cut 90% of your fraud. Use of free email accounts, non-existent phone numbers etc by buyers can be good pointers.

You can minimize fraud and chargebacks using services like Maxmind. Although paypal and 2checkout offer these services as they claim. If you check this before sending your customer to 2checkout/paypal the risk is minimal. If a customer files a fraud complaint to his/her bank you as merchant will alway's lose.

- Do not allow Free email accounts = high risk of fraud.
    - Screen the customer address (does it exist?) also check te phone number
    - Do ip 2 country translation if country of customer <> ip address of customer high risk
    - Check if user is using anonymous Proxy (=FRAUD)
    - Check the country of the customer for high risk country's
    Planpro Hosting
    Windows Shared & Reseller Hosting - VPS - Dedicated -
    Colocation - Payment solutions - Domain Registration
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------

a good way to make sure the account holder of a verified account is legit?

ask them to send you 1$
    then ask them to send you an email from the same account the money came from
    look at his number in paypal.

if they buyer can do all the above your ok.
    but if it is a big ticket item, use www.escrow.com, impossible to get screwed!
    i have used them for transaction in the thousands of dollars. they make sure the buyer gets their item and you get paid once they get their item. they CAN NOT do anything like chargebacks or any of that bs

i think the best option is to not use paypal

Quote Originally Posted by gotbackselling
    i think the best option is to not use paypal
    Yep, I disabled PayPal a long time ago. LOL

I say you dont just remove the credit card payment option its very important. You should find another merchant account provider who will help you fight fraudlent orders.
    2Checkout fraud department is excellent, and you can simply ship the product after the payment status turns to be "Deposited" which means you can withdraw the money immediatly, it takes around 48 hours.
    | iNetHost | Ultra Fast Hosting Solutions!
    Multiple domains hosting Cpanel/WHM RvSkins
    RVsitebuilder
    Fantastico 24/7 Technical Support

this is why i never use paypal again. there are lots of scammers. use 2CO.

Me and some friends of mine have had numerous paypal issues with credit card chargebacks, although they've had fairly good luck fighting the
    chargebacks through paypal. For credit cards you may be bettter off accepting CC payments through Authorize.net and limiting your paypal account to only accept from US Verified members (although they may pay with a CC), a majority of CC orders will go through authorize.