Suggestions on host that provides SFTP/SSH

Hi all...

I'm hoping that folks here can give me a few suggestions on good hosts.

I, along with a few other friends, share the cost of a domain and hosting. We all need separate email and (ideally at least) ftp access. Among us is at least one guy who's very security conscious, SFTP is a must (SSH would be very nice, but I guess not a deal-breaker). We also run a forum for all of us, so we need a host that either has phpBB installed or allows us to do so ourselves.

We used to be with Pair, but in an attempt to save some money, we went with hostcolor.com this past year, and have had a lot of downtime with them.

Can anybody suggest other hosts that minimal downtime and support the stuff we need? I'm trying to compare prices with Pair to see if we can save money and not get bad service.

Thanks in advance...

Honestly, it sounds like a Catch-22.

You say you need SFTP, and in order to get SFTP you need SSH (limitation of the protocol). However, leaving SSH open to the world (i.e. unrestricted) is just asking for trouble.
    Simpli Networks, LLC :: http://www.simplinetworks.com :: Proudly 100% Owned.
    Providing Affordable Managed Cloud/VPS Servers & Server Management Solutions.
    We offer REAL 24x7x365 in-house support - proudly serving our customers since 2005!
    Want to learn more? Give us a call - +1 (844) 4SIMPLI or email sales[@]simplinetworks.com today!

What do you mean by open and unrestricted? As in having SSH access to a shared server? I'd certainly assume that any host would have the account restricted just to their home directories of course... Am I misunderstanding what you're saying?

Quote Originally Posted by jcq123
    What do you mean by open and unrestricted? As in having SSH access to a shared server? I'd certainly assume that any host would have the account restricted just to their home directories of course... Am I misunderstanding what you're saying?
    open and unrestricted meaning anyone from anywhere in the world could log in with no access controls (other than user/pass). The first step in getting a server hacked is exposing the "front door" (in this case, SSH).
    Simpli Networks, LLC :: http://www.simplinetworks.com :: Proudly 100% Owned.
    Providing Affordable Managed Cloud/VPS Servers & Server Management Solutions.
    We offer REAL 24x7x365 in-house support - proudly serving our customers since 2005!
    Want to learn more? Give us a call - +1 (844) 4SIMPLI or email sales[@]simplinetworks.com today!

Quote Originally Posted by mripguru
    open and unrestricted meaning anyone from anywhere in the world could log in with no access controls (other than user/pass). The first step in getting a server hacked is exposing the "front door" (in this case, SSH).
    Or a php script.
    Or someone using FTP having their passwords sniffed.

The possibilities are endless. Securing the door to a house is absolutely no help unless there's enough security after they get in.

SSH is the least of most providers' worries.
    (And I'm aware all of the above is stuff you already know )
    David
    Web hosting by Fused For businesses with more important things to do than worry about their hosting.

No disrespect but, in your quest to save money, you are doing more harm than good to your site(s) / forum ...etc.

You have to speculate to accumulate.

Have you considered trying to raise money to help pay for services and reliability?
    You could consider: asking for donations on your site, discreet ads, subscription.

Q's: Space, bandwidth and price you looking at?

Pair is highly respected and this is for a reason.

HostGator offer good plans/prices and offer ssh (on request but, obvioulsy jailed to your account/server space) on all plans / accounts.

Other suggestions:
    Web Hosting Offers.
    HostQuote.

Hope this helps
    ┣▇▇▇═─√v^√v^√♥
    - Proudly Hosted By: NetworkPanda.

Many (most?) of the hosts here offer ssh access and sftp - if it's not stated on their web site check with sales. And some providers who don't offer it like to do a little scaremongering on the subject...

How much are you looking to pay? The Pair plan at $18 doesn't seem that expensive considering their reputation.
    Chris

"Some problems are so complex that you have to be highly intelligent and well informed just to be undecided about them." - Laurence J. Peter

Indeed, this is an old discussion, anybody offering PHP or Perl have the same risk on their servers than offering SSH, but well, some people feel safer if they don't offer SSH, and that's OK.

Regarding to the OP request, how much space and bandwidth are you actually using in your account at Pair.com?
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

We used to be with Pair, but in an attempt to save some money, we went with hostcolor.com this past year, and have had a lot of downtime with them.
    Why not go back to pair if you were happy with them? Cheaper hosting might save you a few dollars, but is it worth the downtime and headaches?

Regarding to the OP request, how much space and bandwidth are you actually using in your account at Pair.com?
    Hosted with HostColor now.

Most web hosts who offer SSH might not state it on their web site, it's best to contact the provider and find out if they provide it or not.

Web hosting is very cheap as it is. if you know a provider tht made you happy, go with it. Your own self recommendation tops any other that you could receive from a third party.