InterNap rack cost

After running 6 or so dedicated servers purchased thru several different resellers, my company decided to get a rack at the Chicago InterNap DC.

The quote we got was $3,400 per month inclusive of cabinet, Usage based 10/100, and Cross connects.

Have a couple questions.

A) Is that price in the ballpark of where it should be?

and

B) Our quote states Usage based 100mb Ethernet (10MBps Min). Tier2 at $150 month and $1,400 for the 10.00 Mbps Base. Being new to this, I have no idea exactly how much bandwidth we can use before the "usage" fees kick in.

How does this work?

A) That seeems a bit high - I think. Though, maybe not depending on what exactly is being included bandwidth-wise (and remote hands wise, etc.).

B) 10Mb/sec. = ~ 3280GB/month.
    Simpli Networks, LLC :: http://www.simplinetworks.com :: Proudly 100% Owned.
    Providing Affordable Managed Cloud/VPS Servers & Server Management Solutions.
    We offer REAL 24x7x365 in-house support - proudly serving our customers since 2005!
    Want to learn more? Give us a call - +1 (844) 4SIMPLI or email sales[@]simplinetworks.com today!

Ripoff. That's $2k/mo for the cabinet basically. You are committing to 10Mbit of bandwidth at $140/Mbit for $1400/mo. Any extra is billed at $150/Mbit. That is InterNAP standard for that commit range. The rest of the $3400 is going towards the cabinet.... cabinets should be going for _no more_ than $1k/mo (w/ 20A power) and even that is a little high.
    Matt Ayres - togglebox.com
    Linux and Windows Cloud Virtual Datacenters powered by Onapp / Xen
    Instant Setup, Instant Scalability, Full Lifecycle Hosting Solutions

www.togglebox.com

Ripoff. That's $2k/mo for the cabinet basically. You are committing to 10Mbit of bandwidth at $140/Mbit for $1400/mo. Any extra is billed at $150/Mbit. That is InterNAP standard for that commit range. The rest of the $3400 is going towards the cabinet.... cabinets should be going for _no more_ than $1k/mo (w/ 20A power) and even that is a little high.
    Ouch.

Are there any current customers of InterNap Chicago that can give me an idea of what they are paying for the same service levels?

Depends on a couple of factors. One, how much power are you getting? Two, what is the facility, as cross connect charges could be hefty (i.e. Equinix)? If your getting 40amp (2x20), a cross connect, 10mb of Internap, and a cab, its not too surprising.

Honestly you are better off getting a rack in a carrier neutral facility, which you should be able to get for about $650 a month with 20 amps. Then simply cross connect to internap, if they end up being your choice of bandwidth providers.
    Matt Kelly
    WCiT.net
    Managed and Unmanaged
    Budget VPS, Cloud and Colocation

$1400 for the 10Mbps commit doesn't seem too out of line for Internap but the $2000 for the cabinet is extremely high. How much power is being utilized in the cabinet? 120v or 208?

Quote Originally Posted by TheWiseOne
    That's bogus. One can get *at least* $100/Mbps and $600/cab (based on Atlanta) direct from InterNAP without any "special connections."

Just wondering, do you need to be in Chicago? Their rack pricing may be lower in other locations, as $2000 for a cabinet, even with 40A, is quite high, even in Chicago.
    Karl Zimmerman - Founder & CEO of Steadfast
    VMware Virtual Data Center Platform

karl @ steadfast.net - Sales/Support: 312-602-2689
    Cloud Hosting, Managed Dedicated Servers, Chicago Colocation, and New Jersey Colocation

Quote Originally Posted by IRCCo Jeff
    That's bogus. One can get *at least* $100/Mbps and $600/cab (based on Atlanta) direct from InterNAP without any "special connections."
    But at the same time, Atlanta is also their home market (where they have their corporate offices, etc.) so it might be cheaper there for that reason.
    We offer REAL 24x7x365 in-house support - proudly serving our customers since 2005!
    Want to learn more? Give us a call - +1 (844) 4SIMPLI or email sales[@]simplinetworks.com today!

Only getting (1) 20amp line for now. They want another $150 per month for a second 20 amp service.

However the $3,400 per month include the cross connects.

Nontheless, from what I am reading here, the $3,400 is extremely high. Even for InterNap.

You might be getting the last cabinet in the datacenter

www.togglebox.com

Actually, here is the exact quote.

Internap 19inch Cab $1,325 month
    Tier 2 10.01 + Mbps $150 month
    Tier 1 10.00 Mbps Base $1,400 month

(2) Equinix Cross Connect (100Mb) @ $200 each for a total of $400 month

Equinix Internap 6th floor

Does everyone still think this is high?

Since you're going to be in Equinix make it so that you are allowed to cross connect aka make it carrier neutral on the colo.

www.togglebox.com

Karl. I wanted to be in InterNap Chicago because in moving data to China from Detroit they appeared to be able to give the most reliability / connectivity / best routing.

TheWiseOne. Yes, it is the last rack.

BTW, Thank you to everyone for the help / education.

You can get a (slightly) better price by asking for a 20b CDR (or higher) rather than the 10Mbs+10Mb of overage, but its in the right sort of ballpark

Do you need 2 xconnects or is it one & a backup - they might do the 2nd free if its not primarily for use - worth asking
    Rob Golding Astutium Ltd - UK based ICANN Accredited Domain Registrar - proud to accept BitCoins
    Buying Web Hosts and Domain Registrars Today @ hostacquisitions.co.uk
    UK Web Hosting | UK VPS | UK Dedicated Servers | ADSL/FTTC | Backup/DR | Cloud
    UK Colocation | Reseller Accounts | IPv6 Transit | Secondary MX | DNS | WHMCS Modules

Quote Originally Posted by othellotech
    Do you need 2 xconnects or is it one & a backup - they might do the 2nd free if its not primarily for use - worth asking
    Equinix doesn't deal like that - they try to nickel and dime you on EVERYTHING.

(and don't even get me started about their "Smart Hands").

Quote Originally Posted by webellian
    Actually, here is the exact quote.

Internap 19inch Cab $1,325 month
    Tier 2 10.01 + Mbps $150 month
    Tier 1 10.00 Mbps Base $1,400 month

(2) Equinix Cross Connect (100Mb) @ $200 each for a total of $400 month

Equinix Internap 6th floor

Does everyone still think this is high?
    So cab, 20amp is $1325 a month. For Chicago Equinix, makes sense and is market, if not slightly better (for someone wanting a single cab there).
    BW wise, its another story. All depends on how you view their bandwidth and its usefulness.

Quote Originally Posted by webellian
    After running 6 or so dedicated servers purchased thru several different resellers, my company decided to get a rack at the Chicago InterNap DC.

The quote we got was $3,400 per month inclusive of cabinet, Usage based 10/100, and Cross connects.

Have a couple questions.

A) Is that price in the ballpark of where it should be?

and

B) Our quote states Usage based 100mb Ethernet (10MBps Min). Tier2 at $150 month and $1,400 for the 10.00 Mbps Base. Being new to this, I have no idea exactly how much bandwidth we can use before the "usage" fees kick in.

How does this work?
    In the future, it's probably better to negotiate with your provider, before exposing your pricing to the public.. This sort of tips your hand. With a bit of patience you can probably get this pricing down significantly.

Yeah, I was assuming this was in their own space downtown. If you're getting one of the few remaining cabinets in Equinix though that isn't a bad price... Honestly though, if you're just getting InterNAP, not needing other carriers, etc. it would be cheaper going into one of their own facilities.
    Karl Zimmerman - Founder & CEO of Steadfast
    VMware Virtual Data Center Platform

karl @ steadfast.net - Sales/Support: 312-602-2689
    Cloud Hosting, Managed Dedicated Servers, Chicago Colocation, and New Jersey Colocation

Once again, I thank all of you for the thoughtful and considered advise / recommendations. You have all been very patient and have helped me get a better feel for the factors affecting the costs.

Internap's pricing can vary quite a bit based on location. We have a cab with Internap at Chicago Equinix (among other locations), and you are definitely getted quoted more than we are paying (though the second 20amp circuit for $150/mo is actually a pretty good price). We signed up in 2004 and pricing on the cabinets was definitely cheaper than it is now. I'm guessing this has to do with the fact that the facility is essentially full. You might have better luck seeing if they have any space at their other POP in Chicago, the Level3 facility or whatever it is on Canal St (the River Center Plaza I believe). In their nomenclature, the Equinix facility is "CHG" and the Canal St. facility is "CHI". The Canal St. facility isn't as quite as nice as Equinix, but it's probably going to be cheaper.

Also, are you getting any remote hands time with that? We have what they used to call their "Colo Pack" and that also included an hour or two of remote hands per month from Equinix. Depending on whether you use it or not, that's worth a few hundred bucks.

Also, are you getting any remote hands time with that? We have what they used to call their "Colo Pack" and that also included an hour or two of remote hands per month from Equinix. Depending on whether you use it or not, that's worth a few hundred bucks.
    No remote hands. They want an additional $200/hour for that.

When I received a quote from InterNAP they insisted on giving me a redundant circuit , I didn't ask for one or particularly care.

For a cabinet in Equinix Chicago with 20A, $1325/month is completely reasonable, especially given the limited availability of space there. That leaves you with the $1400/month for 10Mbps. While $140/Mbps sounds about right for Internap bandwidth at that level, you might have some room for negotiation there.
    Scott Burns, President
    BQ Internet Corporation
    Remote Rsync and FTP backup solutions
    *** http://www.bqbackup.com/ ***