ThePlanet and TM #12310

Was looking over at Template monster today to see if there is any nice design I could by for my hosting site. Much due to relative cheaper to buy a nice design there than to hire someone. But the badside if that others might get the same template tho

After browsing a while i came over http://www.templatemonster.com/websi...tes/12310.html
    I thought I had seen this design somewhere else, but a bit different. Then suddenly it came to me, the news about theplanet.com 's new design.

Must say they look very nice and alike, a bit different design, but still much alike ^^.

Inspirational I guess =D

Doh, wrong forum I think.
    Should have been in website review maybe ^^ my bad mr. mods=(

wow, i think you're right. this is the same template that site is made from. Altered but still the same.

At least I think so.

EDIT: after closer inspection, that is, without a doubt what they did.
    Show your reciprocal links on your website. eReferrer

That's not even funny...

Is this what web designers are resorting to these days?

Sorry to burst the bubble, but I saw this template before The Planet updated their design. I think its more of just a coincidence then a rip off. I agree it does look very similar, but this template has been around for at least 3 - 4 months.

The template has a number of different things than the planet's design. I'd say they're identical color wise, but otherwise, not that much..specially the buttons
    Caro.Net: Support is everything
    Offering High Quality Dedicated Servers.

sapper6fd, I think the point was that maybe the designer of theplanet.com might have got their design style from the template.

yeah I don't think anyone accused theft. You'd just think a company the size of the planet would have their own site designed.

And since it's clear that it's a template from TM you could buy the template too (since they didn't even pay the fee to have them take it down, though it's 2650) and you could make your site look like theirs offering competitor's servers.

Hmm good then using this template would not lead to copyright problem. DUH

their previous design was much better than this

Yeah I totallyt agree flakdesign. I was surprised they changed it. Now ev1's site on the other hand?.....ugh

Quote Originally Posted by flakdesign
    their previous design was much better than this
    I totally agree, hence why I made this post.
    I never wanted to accuse Theplanet or anything. I just thought like the 2 design "matched" each other.
    There are differences of course, but very similar, hence I think it was an inspirational source maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by fastnoc
    Yeah I totallyt agree flakdesign. I was surprised they changed it. Now ev1's site on the other hand?.....ugh
    Large companies are adopting crappy designs, when smaller hosts are revamping/redesigning their design for web2.0. Mebbe they are just ignorant

Coming from The Planet I am not surprised that they would do this.
    Nicholas Hubbard

Doing a little more and found this side by side of the two.

http://www.web2pwnt0.com/theplanet/ohsnoes.jpg

Looks like an inspiration.

Ha. Isn't that funny, you would think a company of that size would spring to have their own design created for them.

These layouts are different. It is simmilar in colors only. and how layout three plans columns.