* Is VPS suitable for ms sql 2005 express edition?

hi, i'm newbie here and i've spend few days searching for this answer. Is VPS with 256MB RAM suitable for web application with ms sql 2005 express? The hosting company that i want to engage with, say that VPS is not suitable for ms sql 2005 and recommend me to take vps package with 512 RAM (USD 87 per month) or even better dedicated (USD 120 per month) , which are far more expensive that the vps package with 256 RAM (USD51 per month) that i orgininal plan.

For the web application usage, i would forsee 2-3 staff who wil extensively used the web application while probably other 10 - 30 ppl online currently.

I hope to seek for your advice. Thanks.

Hi miloseeker,

A VPS with 256mb ram with IIS (or Apache) and SQL express will work just fine. It totally depends on what you run next to that though, but if those are your two main applications, 256mb would be sufficient.

Note: if you also use a control panel, such as Plesk or Helm, you're going to need more than 256mb ram. In that case 384mb would be the minimum.

I think he is talking about Windows hosting - aka Microsoft SQL 2005 Express. Not the Linux version of MySQL.

Just posting to clarify
    DefSolutions
    Got Solution?

Yeah I'm aware of that, that's also why I mentioned IIS and Helm (which are both applications that only run on Windows)

Woopsie! *Just saw the Apache! the IIS was well hidden! Guess im a bit

DefSolutions
    Got Solution?

Quote Originally Posted by Apoc
    Hi miloseeker,

A VPS with 256mb ram with IIS (or Apache) and SQL express will work just fine. It totally depends on what you run next to that though, but if those are your two main applications, 256mb would be sufficient.

Note: if you also use a control panel, such as Plesk or Helm, you're going to need more than 256mb ram. In that case 384mb would be the minimum.
    hi thanks for the info. I would like know is there any tasks that can be perform by Helm that can't be done manually? or what's the advantages of using Helm? more user friendly? Helm is provided in the package.

Just comparing whether should i use Helm because i would need to upgrade to VPS with 512 Ram if Helm is needed.

Thanks again.

Very simply said - anything a control panel can do, can also be done manually. A control panel just automates things a lot more, which could (potentially) save you a lot of work. An additional benefit is that a control panel like that allows you to provide access for clients (and resellers). But technically, it's even possible to set that up manually - it's just a heck of a lot of work

If you know how to configure everything manually, and you are looking to host just a few sites, you'll be fine without control panel. Having a control panel would make things easier, but it also eats up some of your RAM.

hi Apoc, thanks again for your helpful information. As you mentioned earlier, adding the control panel will increase the use of RAM. I would like to know whether "when i use the control panel then if will take up the RAM usage" or "the exist of control panel will take up the RAM usage"?

thanks for clarifying.

The existence of the control panel will take up the RAM usage, as it has many background processes.

currently i'm running the web applicaton in VPC (note not VPS) with 512 RAM. Is the performance of the web application currently in my VPC will be same in VPS?

And so if i'm taking the 256RAM VPS package, I can test the performance on 256RAM VPC?

Please take into account that there WILL be more than 1 VPS on the servers.

Whereas a VPC only has 2 (if its local - host and guest).

Dnp

You can try DotNetPanel (www.dotnetpanel.com) which I believe consumes less RAM but ASP.NET 2.0 and SQL 2005 Express are required.