Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

About bluehost.com hostgator.com etc

Hello, I would like to know how the companies of hosting bluehost.com hostgator.com dreamhost.com downtownhost.com etc can give so great plans.

Thanks.

That is evident, but I would like to know that they make to limit the accounts.

Quote Originally Posted by Dixtech1
    If people use too many of the server's resources (Memory/Processor) they get suspended, so that helps keeps their servers from getting swamped when people try to use all the advertised bandwidth on a resource intensive site.
    A Collection of Web Hosts
    Small biographies on hosts, uptime reports and some reviews
    Feel free to add your review or add a host that isn't on the list.

Thanks, and how they limit the use of space in HD? because that does not use memory/CPU

and how they limit the use of space in HD?
    I don't know all their terms of service but hosts can sometimes limit usage of disk space, not allowing it to be used for baclup storage, file hosting etc. Some hosts don't actively limit disk space usage, as long as the uploaded data is legal.

Then again, as is always the case with these things, what's to stop a corrupt host from claiming "CPU abuse" when they thing the cusotmer is using too much of anything?

Dan is absolutely right, and I am sure when these hosts deal with such plans, they have some sort of disk space usage monitor I would think. Also it sort of goes hand in hand with resource usage IMHO.
    <<< Please see Forum Guidelines for signature setup. >>>

Quote Originally Posted by schmeg007
    If people use too many of the server's resources (Memory/Processor) they get suspended, so that helps keeps their servers from getting swamped when people try to use all the advertised bandwidth on a resource intensive site.
    Good answer, should be pinned lol

Hello, I would like to know how the companies of hosting bluehost.com hostgator.com dreamhost.com downtownhost.com etc can give so great plans.

Thanks.
    If you are looking for an insider's perspective, I've been in this industry going on 6 years so I will *attempt* to shed some light on the situation.

The hosts you are talking about are the more respectable in the industry, at least I have a thorough respect for the ownership involved.

There is an assumed average utilization based on over a decade of analysis as to what the average consumer uses, compare it to the Telco's 95% bandwidth billing. There is going to be a peak threshold (though a small percentage) which goes beyond these "averages," which is why we refer to them as averages.

Yes, there are certain levels of overselling which will bring you to question the validity of the offer. *Some* organizations will back their offerings by a series of direct and network attached storage arrays to keep in house enough data to provide for what they offer. In terms of bandwidth, there are lesser expensive carriers such as Cogent which are now selling 100Mbps lines for $10/1Mbps. With these prices and available capacity (and anticipated utilization) there is very little concern as to the bandwidth utilization of a shared/reseller hosting client base.

Overselling is a norm, which has enabled significant growth for a large percentage of popular providers. It is very important to take into consideration the underlying fabric/infrastructure supporting the organization which you are discussing.

Thanks,
    Thomas Brenneke | Network Redux, LLC | http://www.networkredux.com
    • Proud sponsors of the SimpleMachines ImageMagick and AdiumX projects.

Sure.

As linuxredux says, these big hosts have lots of customers and can afford to base their plans on their average customer's take up.It's also cheaper for them to offer a very limited number of plans (one being the cheapest); possibly this is more effective in marketing terms too. So they offer those resources that are very cheap and easy to add (space and bandwidth) in vast quantity; big, vast, vaster and infinite make no noticeable difference to their costs because the size of what they offer makes no noticeable difference to what their customers actually take up.

What they also do to keep their costs down is to have very strict limits on the use of resources that are not cheap or easy to add (ie CPU/memory).

The big well managed hosts can do this successfully. the less well managed will do it poorly and scummier hosts might be making promises they have no intention of keeping. But you will find this range of hosts in all parts of the hosting industry not just at the "overselling", budget end.

Quote Originally Posted by schmeg007
    Sorry, but this does not happen with any host? or do host allow sites overloading the server to stays there?
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Jedito
    Sorry, but this does not happen with any host? or do host allow sites overloading the server to stays there?

Good point even with someone who does not oversell you can still cripple their server on some package and I imagine get booted. Unless of course they enjoy hosting some sites on their own dedicated machines which I highly doubt considering they'd want profit.
    Tony B. - Chief Executive Officer
    Hawk Host Inc. Proudly serving websites since 2004
    Quality Shared and Cloud Hosting
    PHP 5.2.x - PHP 8.1.X Support!

Depends. Providers who offer realistic packages tend to have enough cpu / resources leftover to allow sites to burst.

That's the difference between most tiny shared packages and massive ones.
    With the tiny ones everyone else on the server is on tiny ones too -- there's more room to burst!

With the massive ones the potential for there to be frequent abuse of those same resources. Your ability to 'go outside' the lines is lessened.

Avoid HostGator. Of all the hosts I have dealt with over the past 6 years, for myself and on behalf of clients, HostGator is by far the most incompetent.

Lets separate them in 2 families:

- the honest overseller lets you use the maximum available resources if you don't abuse

- the less honest promise much but boot you if they see you will use any resources at all. So be sure to check their money back guarantee.

I use LunarPages and Dreamhost, I use a lot of disk space, and never had any problems. What I use more than usual is compensated by people with small sites
    Two decades of web marketing experience & millions of visitors, previously a super-affiliate.

Quote Originally Posted by David
    Depends. Providers who offer realistic packages tend to have enough cpu / resources leftover to allow sites to burst.

That's the difference between most tiny shared packages and massive ones.
    With the tiny ones everyone else on the server is on tiny ones too -- there's more room to burst!

With the massive ones the potential for there to be frequent abuse of those same resources. Your ability to 'go outside' the lines is lessened.
    Very good point here!
    - Steve D
    SERVBoston: Hosting since 2003
    Shared, Reseller, VPS.
    Top Notch Support from a veteran hosting company!

If people use too many of the server's resources (Memory/Processor) they get suspended
    As I said, any host will suspend your account if you overload their server, after that, anybody can try to twist words and give misleading message, still this apply to ANY host.
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

As I said, any host will suspend your account if you overload their server, after that, anybody can try to twist words and give misleading message, still this apply to ANY host.
    Yep, as if the host doesn't, the entire server & all of the accounts on that server will get affected

MLFBH what was your domain with us? Could you pm me the problems you had with us or a ticket number?
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by hostgator.com
    MLFBH what was your domain with us? Could you pm me the problems you had with us or a ticket number?
    Thanks!
    I am thankfully no longer a client of yours. I've had more than enough of my time wasted by incompetent HG employees so unless you are the owner inquiring as to which staff to fire then we have nothing to discuss. The issues have already been resolved on my end by leaving.

Yes I am the owner and I would appreciate your help to investigate if there was any wrong doings on our end to avoid it from happening to someone else. Please let me know. thanks!

Look at what users are saying - period!

It is virtually impossible to believe 98% of the hosting review sites. So many are obviously being paid to rate certain hosts higher than others. You will often see paid ads right on the site itself that is rating the hosts. Only belive the review sites that include user reviews AND that include negative as well as positive. If I see a high rating from the site and all 100% happy-happy-joy-joy from the supposed users, I get real suspicious. Forums such as WHT are your best source.

I recently left bluehost because of their crappy and rapidly slipping service and chose lunarpages based on customer comments I had read. I did see some negatives, but all in all they sounded solid. I am extremely pleased with my decision.

Overselling is actually a bad thing as it preys on human greed. but hey this is business right.
    How many known sites are there that actually use up to 10Gb of space that the hosts claim to offer??
    It's all about Client Support
    www.Hostlings.net - Shared and Reseller Hosting

(cPanel + Fantastico + WHM + all the bells and
    whistles)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast