Question What remote KVM do you use?

Hi what remote KVM or over IP KVM does everyone use.

I am looking for ideas on which one will suit my needs.

I like the Avocent KVM's but they are pricey.

Please offer some feedback on what you use.

HP rebadge the Avocent ones and sell them a bit cheaper and without charging for software user licenses.

As for general KVM recommendations - do a search from the toolbar above. There are lots of threads on this already.

Dell Advocent KVM over IP Switch 2161DS is quite good. You don't have to pay for software user licenses.
    P4HOST.COM -- Specialize in quality Web Hosting solutions.
    Affordable -- Prices are very comparative
    Reliable -- Very low load average guaranteed. 60 day money back. Fast Support --Support Forum -- Providing hosting since 2003

Quote Originally Posted by inteltechs
    Dell Advocent KVM over IP Switch 2161DS is quite good. You don't have to pay for software user licenses.
    I second this. Get the rebranded ones so you don't have to pay the ridiculous per-user fees.

Great feedback I will look into those then.

Keep the feedback coming.

The Aten cn6000 single port units and Raritan higher end stuff has worked perfect for us.
    Daniel Pautz - WebNX, Inc. dan >< WebNX.com
    WebNX.com Enterprise Hosting Solutions – Los Angeles and Manhattan NewYork based Servers
    High end Dedicated Servers at reasonable prices and a Premium network with 9x providers route optimized with the Noction IRP

is there any 8/16port KVM with per user password?

How well do the USB SIP's work? Do they allow USB mouse/keyboard/CD ROM emulation?
    Last edited by qps; 01-24-2007 at 06:18 AM.
    [QuickPacket™] [AS46261]
    Located in Atlanta, GA and Los Angeles, CA
    Dedicated Servers, KVM, Xen & OpenVZ VPS, Co-location, R1Soft Data Backup, Shared & Reseller Hosting

I've been using a single port adderlink KVM into a 16 port normal KVM which works quite well as long as you don't want to give end users access.
    Russ Foster - Industry Curmudgeon

We have been testing these out on our new Supermicro platforms with great results.

http://supermicro.com/products/acces.../addon/SIM.cfm
    SIMSO cards with KVM. add it on for about $58.00 per server.
    My IP >> 127.0.0.1 Hack Away!!

Raritan
    Robin Balen
    Gyron Internet Ltd - http://gyron.net/
    UK colocation, managed hosting and connectivity services with 100% uptime SLAs

James

Quote Originally Posted by WebNX
    The Aten cn6000 single port units and Raritan higher end stuff has worked perfect for us.
    We are using Aten cn6000 too.
    It's connected to MasterView ACS-1216A KVM switch giving us an access to 16 boxes. This KVM switch can accomodate up to 31 additional switches in a daisy chain configuration. It also should support multiple user profiles with access restrictions (we didnt use that yet).

We are generally satisfied with the results, but not enough to recommend it to WHT community. Here are some of the reasons:
    1. This set up doesnt allow simultaneous access to KVM.
    2. No VNC support. The java client provided with Aten cn6000 didn't work at all. The client we had to install on the desktop computer works, though.
    3. Remote initial configuration of Aten cn6000 is quite a challenging task. You won't be able to SSH/telnet into that box for configuration, you will have to connect to it with the browser from the computer on the same LAN.
    4. We only use it to access text consoles of our FreeBSD/Linux servers, so we can't comment on Windows support and mouse sync issues.
    :: Mountain Network Systems :: 323-933-9291
    eCommerce solutions since 1995
    http://www.webcart.net/

Quote Originally Posted by Webcart
    We are using Aten cn6000 too.
    It's connected to MasterView ACS-1216A KVM switch giving us an access to 16 boxes. This KVM switch can accomodate up to 31 additional switches in a daisy chain configuration. It also should support multiple user profiles with access restrictions (we didnt use that yet).

We are generally satisfied with the results, but not enough to recommend it to WHT community. Here are some of the reasons:
    1. This set up doesnt allow simultaneous access to KVM.
    2. No VNC support. The java client provided with Aten cn6000 didn't work at all. The client we had to install on the desktop computer works, though.
    3. Remote initial configuration of Aten cn6000 is quite a challenging task. You won't be able to SSH/telnet into that box for configuration, you will have to connect to it with the browser from the computer on the same LAN.
    4. We only use it to access text consoles of our FreeBSD/Linux servers, so we can't comment on Windows support and mouse sync issues.
    I had horrible results with the cn device + a stack of D-link kvm devices.

In the end 2x cn devices + kvm stacks the dell 2161ds-2 is actully CHEAPER in the long run. (maxed at 128 systems attached) not by much but it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Spudstr
    I had horrible results with the cn device + a stack of D-link kvm devices.

In the end 2x cn devices + kvm stacks the dell 2161ds-2 is actully CHEAPER in the long run. (maxed at 128 systems attached) not by much but it is.
    Well, we got a great deal on cn6000 and ACS-1216A units and didn't immediately need 2 users access. Besides, it was quite a while ago.
    How much does 2161ds unit cost these days? I couldnt find it on dell.com site.

Quote Originally Posted by Webcart
    Well, we got a great deal on cn6000 and ACS-1216A units and didn't immediately need 2 users access. Besides, it was quite a while ago.
    How much does 2161ds unit cost these days? I couldnt find it on dell.com site.

It would be pretty expensive to buy from Dell.

Kevin
    P4HOST.COM -- Specialize in quality Web Hosting solutions.
    Affordable -- Prices are very comparative
    Reliable -- Very low load average guaranteed. 60 day money back. Fast Support --Support Forum -- Providing hosting since 2003

We have a startech SV1110IPEXT and for the most part have no problems.
    -Robert Norton
    www.SophMedia.com

Quote Originally Posted by inteltechs
    It would be pretty expensive to buy from Dell.

Kevin
    Not if you have the right sales manager its not. Contact sales ask them for a 2161ds-2 or contact me and i'll give you my sales guys information. He will be happy to help you out.

avocent ccm1650.
    George Donnelly / Systems Administrator
    High Speed Rails inc. / FOSS Hosting
    http://highspeedrails.com
    "Linux is Luke. FreeBSD is Yoda."

Quote Originally Posted by HSRGeorge
    avocent ccm1650.
    This is not KVM/IP though.