Centada or WebHostingBuzz?

I've been searching around the web for some decent hosting using numerous sites and these two seem to be the best candidates for my budget and where i see my content going, but they're not perfect.

Centada offers more bandwith (250GB) and comes with a free domain which i assume is only free for the first year. WebHostingBuzz has more features (stat tracking, unlimited databases, weekly backups) but lacks in bandwidth (100GB). Given the content of my site right now and estimating a very generous and completely unrealistic estimate of 50,000 vistors a day, i'd need approximately ~60GB/month of bandwidth, so WebHostingBuzz's 100GB/month should do perfectly fine for a long while.

So, which should i choose? Both plans cost about the same, $3 for WHB and $2.95 for Centada. Or maybe there are other similar alternatives around the same price I haven't discovered yet?

Well to tell you the truth, when it comes to web hosting, you get what you pay for. My recommendation would be to do some research on this forum regarding the two hosts. Then, check out the offers section. With those requirements expect to pay closer to $10 if you want a quality host, with quick load times, and great uptime.
    Last edited by the_pm; 01-23-2007 at 04:50 PM. Reason: Cross post removed

Have you done a search for reviews on either of them? If not, I would suggest you do that first before making your decision.

$3 budget for your requirements seems quite low, with the amount of visitors you get daily you should be able to afford a reliable web host. You might lose those visitors if your web site is on a slow oversold server.

I have never heard of Centada before.

Yup, i have searched both companies and they seem fairly reliable, especially WHB (Centada seems newer), so i'm confident they're not overselling or anything. But like i said, if i've missed similar alternatives i'd definitely like to check them out.

Completely unrealistic aspirations for visitors: Check.
    Completely unrealistic bandwidth offerings: Check.
    Pricing that is cheaper per month than I pay every morning for Coffee: Check.

You're in for a wild ride.
    David
    Web hosting by Fused For businesses with more important things to do than worry about their hosting.

Quote Originally Posted by David
    I know they're unrealistic, i said so in my first post

Quote Originally Posted by krypt_zod
    I know they're unrealistic, i said so in my first post
    Do you actually *intend* on building a usable site utilizing a provider that cheap?
    Honestly, I make 2.95 in a few hours with a google ad: Try the same.

Take that 2.95 you make and append it to your measly 2.95 and at least go
    after something where the host is making some semblance of profit off of you.

You & your site are worth nothing to them if you're paying nothing.
    David
    Web hosting by Fused For businesses with more important things to do than worry about their hosting.

Quote Originally Posted by David
    Completely unrealistic bandwidth offerings: Check.
    Pricing that is cheaper per month than I pay every morning for Coffee: Check.

You're in for a wild ride.
    The only wild thing about us is our pricing.
    Matthew Russell | Namecheap
    Twitter: @mattdrussell

www.namecheap.com - hosting from a registrar DONE RIGHT!

Quote Originally Posted by mdrussell
    The only wild thing about us is our pricing.
    To be fair, you are a wee bit lacking in the customer support area as well. No live chat and no phone number for urgent issues. My account got cancelled today with no notice. The annual rebill happened on the 9th of last month, so I know it's not that. Things happen, I know that, and true, the price is right ($84/year), but when 20+ sites poof without any kind of warning it is very annoying.

These are very low traffic sites and only one brings in anything in (less than $3/month), but I do like having them, ya know?

It's been over an hour on this. No "Hi, we're turning you off now" is pretty bad, but over an hour response time on something this urgent is really slow.

Btw, why no notifications when you do something like this anyways? Even if it's not something you are required to do, don't you think it would be the polite thing to do...?

-Michael

Quote Originally Posted by mvandemar
    To be fair, you are a wee bit lacking in the customer support area as well. No live chat and no phone number for urgent issues. My account got cancelled today with no notice. The annual rebill happened on the 9th of last month, so I know it's not that. Things happen, I know that, and true, the price is right ($84/year), but when 20+ sites poof without any kind of warning it is very annoying.

These are very low traffic sites and only one brings in anything in (less than $3/month), but I do like having them, ya know?

It's been over an hour on this. No "Hi, we're turning you off now" is pretty bad, but over an hour response time on something this urgent is really slow.

Btw, why no notifications when you do something like this anyways? Even if it's not something you are required to do, don't you think it would be the polite thing to do...?

-Michael
    In our defense, phone support isn't feasible at the price point we charge. Live chat is in the pipeline, but for now, it's helpdesk. However, this is clearly stated on the site, we do not advertise it and if phone support is essential for you, you should be looking elsewhere and increasing your budget.

We are working on a better notification system though, it is something we are addressing.

I've also located your ticket and I will check on it personally.

In our defense, phone support isn't feasible at the price point we charge. Live chat is in the pipeline, but for now, it's helpdesk. However, this is clearly stated on the site, we do not advertise it and if phone support is essential for you, you should be looking elsewhere and increasing your budget.

We are working on a better notification system though, it is something we are addressing.

I've also located your ticket and I will check on it personally.
    I didn't say it was essential, or Live Chat, but having one or the other is nice. Actually, I don't know how good the coders are on your staff, but something that would greatly increase the likability of the ticket system would be acountdown queue, showing how far down in line you are. Something indicating some sort of progress.

I should see if Kayako has some sort of plugin API for developers, that might be a popular thing now that I think of it.

And thank you for looking into it. Like I said, the sites don't really make any money at this point, but a couple have some nice placement in Google (#1 for [beginner math], [beginner writing], etc), and if I need to move them I'd like to do it fast enough where the bots don't see any downtime.

-Michael

Michael,

I responded to your ticket advising why you were suspended (resource abuse). Let's continue the dialogue there and we will do our utmost to satisfy any qualms you have. Client satisfaction is hugely important to us.

Michael,

I responded to your ticket advising why you were suspended (resource abuse). Let's continue the dialogue there and we will do our utmost to satisfy any qualms you have. Client satisfaction is hugely important to us.
    Thank you. I replied back.

I do appreciate your attention in this. It looks like it was only one script causing the problem. I don't know how to interpret the log info you posted, but am curious... was the overusage really that bad that shutoff of all sites immediately was warranted? I mean, a) you could have turned off that one site, or even just disabled that one script, and b) You could have told me too as well, alerting me to the problem. I do understand if it's causing the server to crash or become unusable, but that doesn't seem to be the case... was it?

Do you guys offer any sort of resource monitor? I know that cpanel shows bandwidth, but afaik that's all.

-Michael

We'll only suspend in serious cases, where the stability of the server is at stake. That is our policy.

Matt

BTW...

Just so no one gets the wrong idea... I have been with WHB for 2 years now. Yes, there have been issues in the past, but they always do get resolved. None of the issues before this has been all that serious. I mean, if you need budget hosting then this is definitely the way to go. When I was mentioning the lack of phone/live chat support it's not like I didn't know that before.

krypt_zod, which hosting did you go with, if I might ask? Just curious. I noticed in your original post that you thought WHB offered 100GB per month, but I'm pretty sure that's actually 1,000GB.

-Michael

I understand that you started the discussion to get more information regarding your decision. Generally in web hosting there are many service providers and many solutions around. You will have to choose according to your present requirement and also having an eye towards your future requirement. I think then the result will be positive.
    <<Please see rules for signature setup>>

Quote Originally Posted by transops
    I understand that you started the discussion to get more information regarding your decision. Generally in web hosting there are many service providers and many solutions around. You will have to choose according to your present requirement and also having an eye towards your future requirement. I think then the result will be positive.
    I am sure, given this thread on WHT and the comments so far, the OP fully realises this.

Just an attempt to get some signature exposure?

Just an attempt to get some signature exposure?
    Signature! I knew I forgot something! Thanks.

-Michael