About to bring on board a large client, resources question

So we have a dedicated server on SoftLayer (one) with the following specs:

Xeon 3060 (Dual Core 2.4ghz)
    2GB RAM
    2 x 150GB RAID II Raptors (10,000rpm)

We currently host about 80 sites on it, most (75%) of which are straight html but a few that involve databases, (ecommerce and blogs mostly).

At this point server load I have never seen over 0.69 at the highest (usually more in the range of .25-.45), memory is always under 30% utilization and swap at 0.01. (image attached).

So - we are going to be adding a new client's domain that gets roughly 225,000 hits a month on average (which is far bigger than any domain we host now). I know the web development firm that is redesigning and recoding their site - and they are implementing a system wide CMS (Expression Engine).

Taking all of this into account, do you think there is anything we need to worry about in terms of the server handling this new load? I've had thoughts about adding another 1 or 2 of GB RAM, but I'm not sure exactly what affect the hit # will have on us.

Love to get your feedback!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails load.gif  

oo, thats a big size, and most likely a heavy mySQL user since its CMS as well.
    There is a similar thread discussing the same issue, and I suggest you check it out for more hint/tips as well.

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?p=4327527

But the site magnitude of what you suggesting, I think they should be put on their on dedicated or maybe a decent VPS solution

Maybe there is a form of cache you could use for this. I know there's one for PHP but it may affect the other customers on the server - this is eAccelerator. Maybe some MySQL caching with a few performance tweaks may help.. Just a suggestion.
    Automated Tendencies - Brand Management Agency from Baltimore, Maryland.
    Reputation Management Search Engine Optimization Pay Per Click Email Marketing

I had a closer look at their stats in webtrends, I fear I may have overstated their #'s - I think I was confusing hits with unique visits - but here are their 3 month averages, does this change things? Surely it doesn't seem that with the #'s below that a dedicated solution would be required:

VISITS

Visits: 7,441
    Visits / day: 243
    Unique: 3,705

HITS

Entire Site: 211,150
    Per Day: 6,891

Also of note, potentially - although this is a pretty good size business, they host their own email servers so this would only be web and that's it...

Quote Originally Posted by niemie
    I had a closer look at their stats in webtrends, I fear I may have overstated their #'s - I think I was confusing hits with unique visits - but here are their 3 month averages, does this change things? Surely it doesn't seem that with the #'s below that a dedicated solution would be required:

VISITS

Visits: 7,441
    Visits / day: 243
    Unique: 3,705

HITS

Entire Site: 211,150
    Per Day: 6,891
    Shared account will do fine.

IMHO I dont think it should be a problem.

A good tuned apache and mysql performance should give the best output. You can try hosting their website and eventually try upgrading the servers memory stick just incase if there are any issues.
    No more browsing WHT as a guest user

oo, wasn't so big as first thought of ^^. But like Layer0 mentioned, a shared account would cover this nicely. It should even have some room to grow in as well with a nice shared account

Awesome, thanks guys - so, if anything because it is CMS based, upgrading the RAM to 3 or 4GB would provide additional benefit?

I dont see it as a needed upgrade. I have a less powerful server than you however its running sites 3x that size.
    Centation Web Services
    Bristol based web design
    Offering website design, SEO, website hosting, website development and domain registration.

More RAM is always good but I would suggest installing eAccelerator first, if you find things slowing down after adding the new Client.
    PotentProducts.com - for all your Hosting needs
    Helping people Host, Create and Maintain their Web Site
    ServerAdmin Services also available

It's all about the CMS. If it is well optimized you won't feel too much load. If it's not, oh well ... it could crash your server.
    P.S: Visits / day: 243 - I bet you won't feel a thing ...
    Got Fused?

Curious as to a CMS being "well optimized" - are you saying if the CMS itself is efficient or in some way how it is installed on the server?

CMS efficient, like wordpress with wpcache2 ... or better
    Got Fused?

Quote Originally Posted by Website Rob
    More RAM is always good but I would suggest installing eAccelerator first, if you find things slowing down after adding the new Client.
    IMHO, eAccelerator should be one of the things you install during the initial setup of the server.

We've used it for many servers and many sites and have not had a single problem with incompatibility, etc. It's a great PHP extension.

Quote Originally Posted by Siropel
    CMS efficient, like wordpress with wpcache2 ... or better

Ok gotcha.... I know they are using pMachine's Expression Engine which I have heard good things about...

Quote Originally Posted by layer0
    IMHO, eAccelerator should be one of the things you install during the initial setup of the server.

We've used it for many servers and many sites and have not had a single problem with incompatibility, etc. It's a great PHP extension.
    Wow really... so you wouldn't forsee any problems setting it up on the server now even though all our accounts are live on it?

You just compile it, edit php ini and restart httpd ...webserver downtime should not be more than 1-2 seconds
    Just read the manual
    Got Fused?