2 domains on 1 host?

i recently registered a 2nd domain to be used on my hosting account and was wondering if the following was possible.

currently, when i visit my new domain, newdomain<dot>com it redirects to olddomain<dot>com/newdomainsubfolder. is there any way to have the new domain always display newdomain<dot>com when i visit? such as using two public_html folders or something? also, without using subdomains if possible? [the are two different sites]

someone mentioned if my host had mod_rewrite that i could, but i have no idea what that even means. i googled it and was lost.. i dont know much, or anything for that matter, about the inner workings of this stuff.

i'm on spoonohost by the way, with the new domain registered through them.

thanks.

ask your hosting provider they will be able to give you a definitive answer.

It definatly is possible alot of hosts provide this, but it depends on your host if you can do it.

agree with 'doc', since your host registered the name for you, just ask them.

If you are not experienced with this, then consult your hosting provider. It's simply a matter of URL Forwarding, also called Redirecting, your new domain to that sub-folder. Typically this is done by adding an add-on domain to your main hosting account.
    Signature Under Construction.

i submitted a support ticket to my host, but in the mean time..

i added my new domain as an add-on domain in the cpanel, and i had it direct to oldhost<dot>com/subfolder as i was unclear of where to put the new site's files, and when i do type newdomain<dot>com, it displays olddomain<dot>com/newdomainfolder instead of the newdomain<dot>com like i'd prefer.

Just add it as a parked domain if your account supports it but I think it will always show the URL as the primary unless you can cloak it.
    My IP >> 127.0.0.1 Hack Away!!

isnt parking just to have more than one domain point to the SAME website? this is not what i want.

Quote Originally Posted by vizo
    i submitted a support ticket to my host, but in the mean time..

i added my new domain as an add-on domain in the cpanel, and i had it direct to oldhost<dot>com/subfolder as i was unclear of where to put the new site's files, and when i do type newdomain<dot>com, it displays olddomain<dot>com/newdomainfolder instead of the newdomain<dot>com like i'd prefer.
    Let's see what your host says. The way you describe you've done this seems quite normal. The subfolder should be in the hosting accounts public_html folder. I have many domains work this way and they don't show up as sub-folders of the main hosting account.

This is the reply they gave me, which was competely irrelivant and non helpful:

"We have checked your issue and found that you can't create two public_html. You can use addon domain options. Please do check your two domains now. Let me know if you need any further assistance."

is it WHM and cpanel?

sorry for my ignorance, but what is WHM? web host manager? and yes, it's Cpanel

cpanel is fine.

cpanel is your control panel, that's what we needed to know.

here's what it should look like in the "addon domains" section:

http://imgplace.com/directory/dir174/1169616483.jpeg

I decided to make a directory called "12345". you can name it something else, but don't make it something common that might be used for something else.

put some random long password in the password section. then forget about it.

when you want to ftp files, ftp to the base domain (old one), and navigate to the "12345" directory. put your "newdomain" files in that directory.

it should be that easy, if your domain is already pointing to that server, and it sounds like it is.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

before doing this, I recommend making sure the domain is not already in the parked section, the addon section, or the subdomain section.

start clean, and it's easy.

thanks for all of the info CD. thats actually what i had done first, and the weird thing is that it just started working after i emailed the support team. weird. anyway, its all working now, thanks again

Glad to hear it turned out ok