Automating "payment" routines

Imagine this scenario:
    I am a webhost (reseller)
    For my clients to pay, they have to come to a special spot and enter their customerID and then push a big red button. This is the payment and their account is now alive for one more month.

I know this scenario is kind of cheezy but is this doable? I want to connect that button to a PC which runs a special software that detects this buttonpress and the ID entered and then connects to some sort of billingsoftware and confirms that payment has been sent?

Christian W.

I suppose you could do something similar with PayPal and the "Buy Now" buttons. I'm not sure how restricted they are in terms of customization, but I know that you're able to customize the "Buy Now" button to whatever you want (in your case a big red shiny button!).
    <<Please see rules for signature setup>>

A good billing system such as Modernbill, WHMCS etc configured along with a decent payment gateway such as Authorized.net, Bluepay etc will enable you to get your billing automated.
    No more browsing WHT as a guest user

I was actually talking about i big red shiny _physical_ button.

Christian...

Not a bad idea actually!

In that case you'd probably just launch up a browser window when the button is pressed to pay via PayPal. I'm not too sure if PayPal offers the instant-pay-once-button-pushed feature like what you're after, but there probably is a payment processor that might.

Good luck!
    <<Please see rules for signature setup>>

Modernbill is very customizable however, it seems that you may need to hire a coder or invest plenty of time into this. Sounds like an easy way, and consumers love easy, quick and secure. I would say your on the right path.

Personally I would work on something that is innovative service wise, billing software will take care of the billing and automation IMHO.
    <<< Please see Forum Guidelines for signature setup. >>>

All of this trouble for automated billing - just use hsphere and it will take care of everything for you (invoicing, charging accounts, prorated differences, upgrades, downgrades, calculate to the minute a cost of adding/subtracting any resource you want to charge for based on billing term, etc...)

sigh - I know - but, its not cpanel

I have to agree with Cartika, I have been playing around with Hsphere a bit and it is quite nice. As they state, it's not cpanel but it is a control panel that can do pretty much everything as cpanel, the the biggest reason....it provides choices for the customer lovely!!!

The reason I'm asking is in association with the TEXT payment option. I need to automatically update the billingstatus as people TEXT me their payment. (The big red button was just a metaphore for "if it can do it this way, it sure as hell can do it that way" )

I don't want to sit every day and check who has paid that day and extend their hosting manually

Christian...

It's not so much the vehicle to provide bookkeeping on the payment info as it is to process and verify payments..
    2CO
    PayPal
    Authorizenet

All of these can provide an interface for the client to go, pay and come away knowing that you know they paid.

HSphere is awesome, but it is not a payment processor, neither is modernBill - even though we like it and use it ourself.
    The answer lies in a convenient GUI for the client that is directly hooked to the processor, whoever it is.

Paypal probably offers the greatest flexibilty, taking electronic check payments and Visa in the same package. A little javascript and away you go.
    I'm not as familiar with 2CO.

Hi Highland,

Sorry, but, you have confused me. Certainly a platform like hsphere or modernbill arent processors - however, their true power comes in their ability to utilize multiple processors...

I really have limited experience with modernbill - however, with hsphere for example - it does not matter what payment method the client chooses (paypal, credit card, etc) - as soon as the client makes a payment, using the "clients" preferred payment method, everything is updated, invoice is generated and emailed to the client, etc...

These systems replace the web based consoles found with the actual payment process and yield out of the box actions which are relavent to our business processes....

If I have completely missed the point, please dont hesitate to smack me over the head with it

I see exactly what you are saying Cartika, but what puzzles me the most is the OP. I still do not understand exactly what the goal is to be honest. The more I read it the more I go cross-eyed

I still do not understand exactly what the goal is to be honest. The more I read it the more I go cross-eyed
    LOL - Im in the same boat you're in

Which is why I let Highland Web know to feel free to smack me in the head if I've completely missed the point

Hi cartika,
    No smacking needed or intended.

My post was primarily directed at the originator of the thread who had inquired about GUIs to provide instant qualification of payment for the client.

That truly doesn't involve the host bookkeeper, only the interaction between the client and the payment processor. The customer ultimately wants to know that the payment is indeed processed 'by the bank' if you please; and probably doesn't know or care much about the internal bookkeeping processes involved with operating a hosting enterprise.

Yes HSphere is a really nice product and will handle almost all things 'hosty.'
    I was just speaking in terms of communicating directly with the payment processor itself.

Paypal, though easily accessible, is a prime example of one of the many possible interfaces designed to qualify and finalize transactions between the customers' bank and yours.

That's all I meant, I hope I was able to clarify my earlier post.

Regards,

Brian