Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Is VPS Really Suitable to Create Reseller Plans

Hello,

After searching and reading a lot of posts about VPS. I am getting a bit confuse now. I am planning to use a VPS to create cPanel/WHM Reseller Plans for my customers. I have a question:

Is VPS really suitable to create Reseller Plans?

Thanks and best regards

It depends how powerful your VPS is and how many accounts it can handle.

Well, to me I will not use VPS to create reseller account. Once you reach a limit, you cannot put more reseller into the VPS and your reseller will complete of your server slowness in the way
    tanfwc
    Singapore Managed Colocation
    Singapore BGP Announcement

It will only work if you are really very sensible of the plans you give out. For example, overselling enabled features etc.

Othewise, generally I would seriously recommend against it. I've made some posts about this yesterday.

I think the question one has to ask is, would you, yourself buy a reseller plan from a VPS? I know I wouldn't.

More control and more quality over your hosting?

Quote Originally Posted by The Engine
    I think the question one has to ask is, would you, yourself buy a reseller plan from a VPS? I know I wouldn't.
    There you go again.. You just have a negative experience with certain providers, that doesn't mean *every* VPS provider is crap, as you put it.

A VPS can be just as reliable as a dedicated server, and in many cases a VPS is actually even more reliable than a medium spec dedicated server. A VPS might share the physical server with other people, but it shares the resources of a high-end purpose-built server, whereas a low-end or medium spec dedicated server (usually) uses budget hardware, no raid (or software raid - which is not reliable), and so on.

I personally, if I were a potential client, would rather buy a reseller account hosted on a $50/mo VPS, than hosted on a $100/mo dedicated server.

Sure, yes I'll agree that a $300/mo dedicated server should be more reliable than a VPS, as it should also use high-end purpose-built server hardware, and doesn't share any of its resources. But you can't get a reliable server like that at the price of a VPS - and for starting out a reliable VPS will be just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by AnyDemo
    Is VPS really suitable to create Reseller Plans?
    YES absolutely - but make sure you choose your provider carefully. The fact as to whether or not your VPS will be reliable 100% depends on your provider (whether they use the right hardware, right software configuration, right amount of accounts per server, and so on).
    Last edited by Apoc; 01-24-2007 at 08:38 AM.

Hello. If you are realy want run own webhosting business you should go with dedi. Dedicated server more powerful for that.

Quote Originally Posted by MTempster
    Hello. If you are realy want run own webhosting business you should go with dedi. Dedicated server more powerful for that.
    That's nonsense. A VPS comes in many types of specifications, as does a dedicated server. There are a large number of factors determining the power of a server - whether VPS or dedicated. For the same cost, you're likely to get equal or better performance out of a VPS than a dedicated server, and the reassurance that a VPS is based on higher-quality hardware than you could get for the same price spent on a dedicated server.
    Last edited by Layershift Andrew; 01-24-2007 at 10:49 AM.
    Andrew Cranson, Director of Operations
    Layershift Fully Managed Cloud Hosting :: WizzVPS Cheap Unmanaged VPS :: UK, USA, Singapore
    Jelastic :: Next generation PaaS - UK Java & PHP Hosting
    True 24x7 Technical Support - peace of mind around the clock!

Quote Originally Posted by Cranky
    That's nonsense. A VPS comes in many types of specifications, as does a dedicated server. There are a large number of factors determining the power of a server - whether VPS or dedicated. For the same cost, you're likely to get equal or better performance out of a VPS than a dedicated server, and the reassurance that a VPS is based on higher-quality hardware than you could get for the same price spent on a dedicated server.
    Again, this post should be pinned in some FAQ

Depending on how many customers you have, it is more than suitable. I actually advise you to use a VPS if you do not have enough customers to go dedicated. It is far cheaper and if you're lucky in getting a good provider you will be more than happy with it. Just be carefull not to get providers that oversell their servers.

Regards,

Hello,

I am really in a headache now..... Some said never use VPS to create Reseller Plans..... Some even said never use VPS to create hosting plans for your customers......

If VPS cannot use to create hosting plans and Reseller Plans, what VPS can be use for? Who will or who should use VPS?

Best regards

What are you talking about.

You obviously haven't read the topic thoroughly enough.

Dear BobJane,

Yes, I did read through this topic. There are both positive and negative comments on VPS. However I also read some comments of VPS from other topics.

Anyway I will sign up a VPS and try by myself. This is the only way to explore how VPS is performed.

Thanks and best regards

There are some users displeased because they may not be profficient enough to handle a server, or had bad experiences.

In most servers, the providers will only give you minimal support.
    Managed servers have better support, but its better not to rely on them.

Choose a host that has a solid history (EuroVPS, for example).
    Don't choose a cheap/value-for-money servers.
    As some say, the amount of money you spend on the VPS is usually proportional to the amount the host spent on the server.

Hi,

VPS are just like dedicated servers. They can be used for anything up to a limit. They CAN be used for hosting websites, for runninc CPanel, for hosting reseller accounts. They can be used for almost anything a dedicated server can. You just have to find a good host that provides a VPS on a server that's not overselled.

The use of a VPS depends a lot on the server it is being hosted and on how much it will be used. It also depends on the VPS system being used. There are systems that cache a lot of information from one VPS, reducing the load and optimizing the use of the computer. Check with the hosting company you wish to buy a VPS from if they oversell their servers and if they have CPanel VPS available.

Regards,

You can start out on a VPS and if you start getting to many customers, then migrate it over to a dedicated.

I had a VPS with a pretty well repsected company and noticed that while most of the time it ran well, there were times when other accounts on the server brought my VPS node to a standstill and a full server boot was required. This is not supposed to happen but it does.

After having this happen a few times, I migrated to a mid point dedicated with th same company and noticed that it was a huge performance increase especially when running cpanel from accounts. On the VPS, it took a while to open but on the dedicated it is instant. It was only 50 a month more for the dedicated.

Having experienced both, I myself would not use a VPS to resell my customers hosting accounts to.

Of course other opinions vary, but that is my experience with a VPS.

If you can afford to take the hit until you have enought accounts to cover the cost and you plan on putting a whole bunch of sites on it, go with a dedicated.

Hi!
    I know the answer to your question: What should vps's be used for?

I'll state yet again my opinion that vps's should never be used to sell hosting. Not only have I been a customer of hosting on a vps..but I have had several in the last few years..and the brutal truth is simple: don't do it.

VPS's should be used to learn administration...learn different control panels...maybe even learn a different OS (Windoze, for example) and to gain other skills needed..to say...move from a reseller just selling space on someone else's server...to the next step..getting your own dedicated server. VPS's should be used by hosts to test new configurations...tweak firewalls...simulate users and traffic..away from their production servers. A host may utilize a vps to take a look at the edge distribution of Cpanel to see what's coming down the road.

I should point out that many VPS's with Cpanel cost even more than some dedicated servers. Watch out for that managed vs unmanaged status. What this actually means in reality is very, very different from host to host...make sure you understand upfront:

1) What they are going to do
    2) What you are expected to do

Renting a vps is not much different from renting a dedicated server...in that many factors that are never covered in the ads need to be addressed..like real port speed...real upload and download speeds..and international peering. Don't even get me started on the long list of hosts that claim to have 24/7 support..but don't.

Some don't even work weekends.

So...there you go. Most hosts fail to provide users with many tools to learn these skills...but they can easily be brought in.

>>Many vps hosts miss out on the biggest selling point of a vps: Complete re-installs are a cinch compared to a dedicated server. Reinstalls from a backup copy..or a complete reinstall...can normally be done easily through a host-provided control panel. Take a look at Debian...Ubuntu...Fed 5...etc. You can't do that with most dedicated servers.

Bryon
    Last edited by bryonhost1; 01-25-2007 at 11:28 AM.
    Bryon L Harvey
    Soil Relocation Engineer

I really would have to disagree. You won't get the reliability on a low end dedicated that you can get with a VPS. I'm not sure how you can say otherwise.

We have many customers who are successfully selling hosting via a VPS. A VPS is not some unlimited resource, it has limits, know those limits and you will be fine.

The server I had the VPS (Virtuozzo) only had 8 other accounts on it and several times a month it would freeze because all of the accounts were sucking bandwidth at a rate greater than the whole server could handle, thus all the accounts came to crawls. It didn't happen alot, but enough to irritate me.

Makes since, a sever only has so much bandwith. If you distribute it across numerous root accounts, in this case 8, that are doing server backups, running sites, etc. you are bound to see an issue.

The VPS was with Liquid Web so by no means are they a fly by night company. I still have my dedicated with them and happy I switched. VPS was not working out with the number of sites I was hosting on it.

In my opinion, if I had to do it over again I would of went with a low end dedicated since your not sharing your bandwidth with several other root accounts on that server.

Just my 2 cents.

Hi!
    Well...let's put this baby to bed...it's beginning to hurt my brains.

1) Some hosts claim vps's are so reliable for hosting. Ok..how many of the vps host's websites are hosted on these super reliable servers?

<roll tha cricket sounds>

I rest my case.

Bryon
    Bryon L Harvey
    Soil Relocation Engineer

Rapidvps.com puts their site on a VPS.

Excerpt:
    2006-01-10
    RapidVPS now on a VPS!
    To prove how powerful and effective our VPS solutions are, This Site is now hosted on a VPS! (Rapid.Two in case you were wondering)
    Otto Yiu
    Rsync Palace ● Providing offsite backups since 2007.
    Backomatic ● Hassle-free Automated cPanel/WHM, DirectAdmin, FTP, and MySQL backups.

Hi!
    Thank you for proving my point even further...without even knowing it.

The alertra numbers don't lie:

Page size: 44k speed is in kbps

Atlanta 488.26
    London 266.23
    Chicago 650.67
    Oklahoma City 358.74
    Orlando 438.96
    Hong Kong 78.51

Now...you tell me...is this *good*? Of course not..it is horrible web server response.

Next!

Bryon
    Bryon L Harvey
    Soil Relocation Engineer

RapidVPS has always been known to be pretty poor with their standards.

For your information, VPSByte.com is also on their VPS.

Proof:
    http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showpo...6&postcount=10

Google.com
    01/26/2007 10:31:57 Orlando USA OK 6.2 0.27 188.47
    01/26/2007 10:31:59 Hong Kong CHINA OK 5.0 2.12 19.29
    01/26/2007 10:31:57 London UK OK 5.1 0.74 57.06
    01/26/2007 10:31:57 Atlanta USA OK 6.5 0.25 208.91
    01/26/2007 10:31:57 Chicago USA OK 6.2 0.12 437.83
    01/26/2007 10:31:57 Oklahoma City USA OK 6.2 0.64 79.39
    VPSByte.com
    01/26/2007 10:32:52 London UK OK 68.6 1.33 421.60
    01/26/2007 10:32:52 Oklahoma City USA OK 68.6 1.17 479.27
    01/26/2007 10:32:53 Hong Kong CHINA OK 68.6 2.55 220.56
    01/26/2007 10:32:51 Atlanta USA OK 68.6 1.05 535.02
    01/26/2007 10:32:51 Orlando USA OK 68.6 0.93 605.58
    01/26/2007 10:32:51 Chicago USA OK 68.6 0.66 857.31
    In fact, rapidvps.com's response is faster than google's.
    Their site may load slower because they are overloaded with graphics.
    Last edited by tsj5j; 01-26-2007 at 11:36 AM.

Hi!
    My bad...that's what happens when a certain person gets on a soap box without enough coffeeeeee!

Still...two vps providers...out of how many out there?????

And..what's more...care to ask if they have cpanel running on these vps's???

let's see:

Rapid No..not on 2082 at least
    vpsbyte Yup..2082 is active

interesting. I'll poke around further later.

>>Well...I know where my next vps will be...

>>>>Another wicked thought just hit me...I'd be willing to bet alertra does not check for sites that cheat the numbers..like having just the html page on the vps..and the graphics come from a normal dedicated server. Hmmm...I doubt it.

Bryon
    Last edited by bryonhost1; 01-26-2007 at 12:11 PM.
    Bryon L Harvey
    Soil Relocation Engineer

VPS done wrong is a horrible technology.

VPS done right is a fantastic technology.

And yes, we host our site on vps.

John
    UK SSD VPS without compromise - upto 250k IOPS !
    www.clustered.net

Quote Originally Posted by reiteration
    VPS done wrong is a horrible technology.

VPS done right is a fantastic technology.

And yes, we host our site on vps.

John
    This should be stuck (pinned) to the VPS forum....

VPS is a great transition between a reseller, and a fully featured dedicated server. Most VPS hosts offer control panels that allow you to perform functions that would require a call to a datacenter (and additional fees). If I had to choose between an $80.00 dedicated server, and a $80.00 VPS, I would pick the VPS.
    Kevhosting.com -
    High quality hosting, resellers and VPS packages.

Quote Originally Posted by eugeniopacheco
    Hi,

VPS are just like dedicated servers. They can be used for anything up to a limit. They CAN be used for hosting websites, for runninc CPanel, for hosting reseller accounts. They can be used for almost anything a dedicated server can. You just have to find a good host that provides a VPS on a server that's not overselled.

The use of a VPS depends a lot on the server it is being hosted and on how much it will be used. It also depends on the VPS system being used. There are systems that cache a lot of information from one VPS, reducing the load and optimizing the use of the computer. Check with the hosting company you wish to buy a VPS from if they oversell their servers and if they have CPanel VPS available.

Regards,

Really helpful

Hi!
    Kev..I have to disagree. If you have real paying customers with real websites with any amount of traffic...a vps makes a horrible transition from shared. In most cases...even decent vps's make horrible web servers without Cpanel...but when you add Cpanel..well...even worse....in most cases.

So..as the score goes...we have three vps providers that actually use their own vps's to host their own websites. I think this speaks for itself..how many vps providers now frequent this board? 40? 60? And some never appear here..I can think of three right off the bat that are serious (found with google) and are not even registered here.

>>as I have said many times before...a good vps can be a wonderful training ground for a transition from shared to dedicated. To tell people it's ok to sell hosting on a vps is just plain wrong.

Bryon
    Bryon L Harvey
    Soil Relocation Engineer

Your question about hosts on VPS was just asked less than 3 hours ago.

You cannot expect instant responses.

Hi!
    Uhhh...yesterday at 12:23PM is *NOT* 3 hours ago...I have to tell you that.

Come on now...read the posts before making a quick comeback.

Now...I am truly tired of this pointless debate...so I'm doing something about it.

Expect a followup in a few weeks.

Bryon
    Bryon L Harvey
    Soil Relocation Engineer

Its 3am for me, sorry I missed your earlier posts.

Guess its not fun waiting for my VPS to be setup, its 30 mins over the estimate.

Fine, 23 hrs... lol.

Quote Originally Posted by bryonhost1
    Hi!
    Well...let's put this baby to bed...it's beginning to hurt my brains.

1) Some hosts claim vps's are so reliable for hosting. Ok..how many of the vps host's websites are hosted on these super reliable servers?

<roll tha cricket sounds> I rest my case. Bryon
    Bryon - all you did is create a classic case of creating and using a straw man. Of course they would not use a VPS - why should they duplicate things?

A VPS is a fine tool to resell sites with. Know the limitations and you are all set. Migrate to dedicated when you have too.

Hi!
    I don't think so. Do you resell sites on a vps? You say it's a fine tool to do so..yet...I doubt you do it *yourself*. Do you?

My point is a very valid one...and as I have said...I am serious about putting this to bed....period. Expect some real numbers shortly.

Bryon
    Bryon L Harvey
    Soil Relocation Engineer

I think it really depends on how powerful the VPS is. Don't get the cheapest one, that's for sure! Those are generally reserved for low-use sites or single-site use that has special needs beyond what shared would provide.

Agreed.

Hosts should ideally host their main site elsewhere with a backup of their site on a VPS. Firstly, if theres downtime on their side, customers can at least reach their support system.

If theres downtime on their shared host, they can switch DNSes immediately and run off the backup. Since this downtime will not affect their customers, its unlikely there will be a surge of angry customers wanting a refund.

True, this can to an extent show that VPS may not be the best tool to resell, but it is possible and costs can be lower for a small host to test the waters without injecting too much money.

Hi!
    Well...that's a swell idea..but how are you going to "Switch dns's immediately"?
    I started building such a system...but came to find out while it is a nice idea..most hosts will not pay for it.

You will lose customers if they suddenly realize the vps cannot handle php or perl like the real server...and their pages take five minutes to load.

I've seen it..it's not pretty.

Anyway...here's some prelim numbers for your dining pleasure. cbras.com was kind enough to provide me with my first test trial vps..and here's what alertra says:

Lon 10.21kbps
    Chicago 11.22
    Orl 71.02
    okcity 47.36
    atl 122.99
    hk 26.26

and this is a rather large vps..300Mb RAM..without even cpanel..just a web server.

Stand by for more numbers.

Bryon
    Bryon L Harvey
    Soil Relocation Engineer

Hi!
    I have more numbers to report now. A few things were learned...and something I did not expect happened. Adding cpanel to a fairly large vps only mildly affected actual web server performance. I clearly am going to have to change the metrics of this...with one user and one simple static page being served..clearly..shows us nothing. I honestly thought just adding cpanel to the vps would seriously degrade web server performance. It did not. However..I clearly need a way to simulate users and add more dynamic websites..to show you a clearer picture of reality..real world stuff.

Sigh. I don't time for this..but...I guess I'm fully commited to it now, eh?

Alertra numbers vary greatly...depending on the time you do the test..witness:

VPS#2..no cpanel..basic web page:
    test1 9:22PM EST test2 6:29AM EST
    oklahomacity 281.51 383.89
    Atl 399.75 404.46
    Chicago 384.28 385.18
    Orl 183.72 186.62
    London 91.91 90.10
    HK 32.31 30.46
    Frankfurt Germany 77.00

With Cpanel added:

9:09AM EST

HK 25.11
    OK 285.89
    LON 93.49
    CHI 371.23
    FRANK 77.53
    ATL 402.33
    ORL 184.68

I'll see what I can come up with to provide a taste of real-world simulation and usage..and see where it goes from there.

Bryon
    Bryon L Harvey
    Soil Relocation Engineer

I don't think CPanel will affect the performance of the server that greatly, else it will be illogical how its one of the most popular control panels.

However, it does need much more resources in terms of RAM, which can increase the cost for the average VPS which does not engage in reselling.

Sorry, it isn't switch DNS, but rather, switch name servers.

It depends entirley on the specification but I think its fine to sell resellers on a VPS. A 512MB Ram VPS with cPanel and a bit of careful optimization can really push our your clients websites fast.

You can always start on a VPS and upgrade to a Dedicated Server once you have the funds and the demand for more power.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast