Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Does FDC use some kind of QoS?

I'm thinking of buying a FDC box, however Ive found something strange when running some testfiles.
    For example, a testfile on a FDC box which is on PCCW-only bandwidth: http://208.53.140.103/100mb.bin

When I wget this file to an ev1servers box, I get 1.2MB/sec. Not bad. However when I start a second download thread, both downloads go at 800KB/sec. With 10 download threads, each thread goes at 160K. The max speed is 1600KB/sec all the time.
    This happens also when I download the testfile to different servers at the same time. 1 or 2 threads go fast (Usually 800-1MB/sec), but the combined speed wont go over 1.6MB/sec.

Server is idle while testing by the way.

With a testfile on the 'normal' network the speeds are higher, to be exact: twice as fast. 3200KB/sec is the max. With 4 download threads I reach that speed, with 10 its still exactly the same. It looks like there is some kind of cap.
    Their 'official' speedtest file is always fast by the way. 10MB/sec with just a couple of threads, to every location.

Could somebody confirm this problem? Anybody able to test the PCCW testfile to an other FDC box, to see what the speed over their internal network is?

Thanks

I was also thinking that PCCW alone could be better for EU traffic.

But when it comes to US traffic, is it better to run just PCCW alone or to have a normal BGP mix of WVFiber, XEEX, Cogent and PCCW?

I wouldn't want to have good speeds to EU and my US traffic speed is reversed.

355.12K/s from another server thats on PCCW bandwidth at fdc (note there was already ~20mbit being used at time of test)

0.275 ms pings to your box
    3 hops over traceroute

but i have to say the support is fast and very good
    Last edited by dfh_ie; 01-23-2007 at 10:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Joanne
    I was also thinking that PCCW alone could be better for EU traffic.

But when it comes to US traffic, is it better to run just PCCW alone or to have a normal BGP mix of WVFiber, XEEX, Cogent and PCCW?

I wouldn't want to have good speeds to EU and my US traffic speed is reversed.
    Their network isnt too bad in the US. They are located at all the major points, east and westcoast The difference to Europe is high though, I get up to 1MB/sec to a host in NL. (1 thread using wget).

Quote Originally Posted by mihd
    355.12K/s from another server thats on PCCW bandwidth at fdc (note there was already ~20mbit being used at time of test)

0.275 ms pings to your box
    3 hops over traceroute

but i have to say the support is fast and very good
    Thanks Pretty low speed inter-DC unfortunately, as my box was probably idle, and your inbound speed should not be influenced by the 20Mbit outbound....
    Are you able to go past 20Mbit at all with your box?

1680kbyte/s on Verizon FiOS in NY (single thread)

Are you able to go past 20Mbit at all with your box?
    yes

once again im very happy so far and support is excellent, highly recommended!

did another test 2 boxes 1 hop apart (more than likely on same rack one is xx.xx.xx.19 the other is xx.xx.xx.32)

.19 was @ 20mbit upload at time of test
    .32 was @ 10mbit upload at time of test

from .32 at 2MB/s
    from .19 at 9MB/s

to hetzner.de server 500KB/s
    to 1paket.com server 700KB/s
    to a dedibox server 700KB/s
    to ovh.fr server 300KB/s
    to ntl 230KB/s (maxed my connection)
    to theplanet server 1.5MB/s
    Last edited by dfh_ie; 01-23-2007 at 11:18 AM.

Thanks

I'm really confused about the results. No matter how hard I try, the server wont go past 1.6 - 1.65MB/sec. Maybe the normal network will be able to peak past that point, however PCCW is imho by far the better choice. The speed difference is huge for a single download.

I uploaded a file through your service (#4), hope you dont mind. That goes fast(er) indeed, although that particular server seems to be on the BGP network. I'm able to pull a file from your server at 7MB/sec.

I have another box in Chicago (non-fdc) where I can try this if you want, but I was unable to download the file, the URL appears to be timing out.

If you are able to pull 1.6MB/s all the time in peak and maybe higher during off peaks, I'd consider that d*mn good for the price. You really really can't expect to pull full 100mbps, or even 30mbps for that matter, all the time with a box that costs less than $150/month. FDC is not crazy. We are not either. A true dedicated 100mbps server is in the $700+ territory, and that's already with a lot of overselling.
    Last edited by qm8309; 01-23-2007 at 03:17 PM.

@qm8309 that is true! and the promised 5-9TB for ~150$ is excellent value

not to mention good support so far

@layer0 try one of them http://www.umich.edu/~lannos/novell/suse.html from university of michigan

Quote Originally Posted by mihd
    @qm8309 that is true! and the promised 5-9TB for ~150$ is excellent value

not to mention good support so far

@layer0 try one of them http://www.umich.edu/~lannos/novell/suse.html from university of michigan
    I don't see how that will help test FDC? (the box I'm testing from is outside FDC)

Quote Originally Posted by layer0
    I have another box in Chicago (non-fdc) where I can try this if you want, but I was unable to download the file, the URL appears to be timing out.
    Thanks
    They moved the server to the BGP network for testing. Here's the new IP: http://66.90.101.228/100mb.bin

Quote Originally Posted by qm8309
    If you are able to pull 1.6MB/s all the time in peak and maybe higher during off peaks, I'd consider that d*mn good for the price. You really really can't expect to pull full 100mbps, or even 30mbps for that matter, all the time with a box that costs less than $150/month. FDC is not crazy. We are not either. A true dedicated 100mbps server is in the $700+ territory, and that's already with a lot of overselling.
    Very True, except that I wont use 30Mbit 24/7. I think I will maybe average 4-5TB a month.
    1.65MB/sec is a little over 15Mbit. Thats not enough to reach 5TB, even if used 24/7.

Quote Originally Posted by layer0
    I don't see how that will help test FDC? (the box I'm testing from is outside FDC)
    oops missread your thread

So far I can see the problem has not been solved with the switch to the BGP network. I download the testfile on server1, and it runs at 1.2MB/sec. When I start the download, at the same time on server2, both go down to ~600K/sec.

However since its on the BGP network now this kind of proves that this is a server-specific issue. I have tested Apache, Lighttpd and pure-ftpd. All gave the same results. The HDD is tested with hdparm: 45MB/sec. Serverload is <0.1.

Is there anything that could limit the throughput? Certain kernel modules? The box runs on a default Debian Sarge install...

I was going to try downloading the file from 2 servers at once, but my server in Germany is only getting less than 50 KB/s! It goes over PCCW to get to fdc. A server at HE in California gets 1.12 MB/s (maxes out my 10 mbit port).

Test the below link. Its routed via PCCW Global (In & Out). I will leave it online for couple of days.

Test IP: 208.53.140.100

Test File: http://208.53.140.100/100mb.bin
    Zenex 5ive - Flexible High Bandwidth Hosting Solutions
    We can deploy high bandwidth servers in 20+ locations around the world
    10TB, 30TB, 100TB, 1PB, 1Gbps/10Gbps Unmetered Bandwidth
    Skype - zenex5ive

Wow. That one is blazing fast, almost the full 100Mbit. Is this a normal server that would be given out to customers? May I ask which one it is / price?

Quote Originally Posted by pixelfxsolutions
    Test the below link. Its routed via PCCW Global (In & Out). I will leave it online for couple of days.

Test IP: 208.53.140.100

Test File: http://208.53.140.100/100mb.bin
    Around 600 KB/s from germany, seems to be routed over the same PCCW route, so the 50 KB/s must be a problem with Xandrios's server.

Actually, I can't connect to Xandrios's server at all now.

We are only testing this on part of the network. Basically server primary ip will be routed via BGP mix. One secondary ip will be routed via PCCW Global (Inbound and Outbound). This way clients can either use BGP mix or PCCW Global routing.
    Skype - zenex5ive

It could be a duplex or bad NIC problem, it does happen.

I've honestly never had issues bursting high speeds outta FDC, be it inter network or outside.

If it's a linux box, do:

mii-tool -v

and drop the output in here.

~Francisco
    BuyVM - OpenVZ & KVM Based VPS Servers - Chat with us
    - All popular VPN methods supported
    - Affordable offloaded MySQL & DDoS protection
    - 5GB backup space, unmetered private LAN bandwidth & native IPv6 included. All with a strong serving of pony

Quote Originally Posted by pixelfxsolutions
    We are only testing this on part of the network. Basically server primary ip will be routed via BGP mix. One secondary ip will be routed via PCCW Global (Inbound and Outbound). This way clients can either use BGP mix or PCCW Global routing.

how can this be done? i've asked FDC and they can only either do a BGP mix or PCCW only.

Quote Originally Posted by Joanne
    how can this be done? i've asked FDC and they can only either do a BGP mix or PCCW only.
    As i said, they are only testing it. We provided it to couple of clients and its working very well.
    Skype - zenex5ive

tested http://208.53.140.100/100mb.bin from a server on steadfast

got 10.82MB/sec ( 86mbps ) , not bad at all. route went out via nlayer
    Last edited by jNive; 01-23-2007 at 11:51 PM.
    Perigee Global Corporation
    Design, Development and Hosting Solutions
    Dedicated Servers, CDN, Hosted E-Mail, Web Hosting, VPS & Cloud Servers
    1.212.400-7632 www.perigeeglobal.com

Quote Originally Posted by TarballX
    Actually, I can't connect to Xandrios's server at all now.
    Should work now, its on normal bandwidth: http://66.90.101.228/100mb.bin

Quote Originally Posted by DeltaAnime
    It could be a duplex or bad NIC problem, it does happen.

I've honestly never had issues bursting high speeds outta FDC, be it inter network or outside.

If it's a linux box, do:

mii-tool -v

and drop the output in here.

~Francisco
    # mii-tool -v
    eth0: negotiated 100baseTx-FD, link ok
    product info: vendor 00:40:63, model 50 rev 8
    basic mode: autonegotiation enabled
    basic status: autonegotiation complete, link ok
    capabilities: 100baseTx-FD 100baseTx-HD 10baseT-FD 10baseT-HD
    advertising: 100baseTx-FD 100baseTx-HD 10baseT-FD 10baseT-HD flow-control
    link partner: 100baseTx-FD 100baseTx-HD 10baseT-FD 10baseT-HD
    Seems to be alright: 100Mbit full duplex. Would it be possible to switch to half duplex for testing purposes? Or would that make me loose connectivity?

You stand to wack up your connection.

I say put in a ticket and ask them to check out your nic, they'll probably just cut to the chase and shove an Intel based NIC in there, that's what they've done for us whenever we've had any sort of issues.

~Francisco
    BuyVM - OpenVZ & KVM Based VPS Servers - Chat with us
    - All popular VPN methods supported
    - Affordable offloaded MySQL & DDoS protection
    - 5GB backup space, unmetered private LAN bandwidth & native IPv6 included. All with a strong serving of pony

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast