Post Modest specs but need reliability and performance

Hi all, if I told you my rather modest wishes:

~0.5GB of space
    ~100GB of BW
    ~5 addon domains

..but also said that I would expect..

Very fast access
    Superb Uptime
    Reliability, in that I would'nt have to worry about the host closing shops within the next few years.

What host would you recommend to me?

Very thankful for any answers.

What would your budget for those modest wishes be?
    Simpli Networks, LLC :: http://www.simplinetworks.com :: Proudly 100% Owned.
    Providing Affordable Managed Cloud/VPS Servers & Server Management Solutions.
    We offer REAL 24x7x365 in-house support - proudly serving our customers since 2005!
    Want to learn more? Give us a call - +1 (844) 4SIMPLI or email sales[@]simplinetworks.com today!

I would initially look for something around 15$/month.

But ofcourse, no more than it should cost me

~100GB of BW
    15$/month
    Very fast access
    Superb Uptime
    Not going to happen.

So, if I downgrade to

* fast access
    * good uptime

Basically, I guess Im looking for decently priced reliable host that doesnt oversell. 100gb bw could probably just as well be 25, with an option to buy extra at a reasonable price.

~0.5GB of space
    ~100GB of BW
    ~5 addon domains
    Why do you require low disk space but such a high amount of bandwidth?

I would recommend doing a search on www.hostsearch.com

- Make a list of 4-5 web hosts that meet your requirements.
    - Search for reviews on them here on WHT.
    - Test their response timings by contacting each of them.

Reliability, in that I would'nt have to worry about the host closing shops within the next few years.
    For that I would recommend doing a regular backup and keeping it on your PC. You should never rely on the web host for your data even if they guarantee backups. Better to be safe than sorry.

Hmm, I would disagree. I see $15/mo a pretty good budget. But it really depends on the type of site you'll wanted hosted. If its something with low CPU/RAM usage then most hosts will easily be able to meet your needs.

Quote Originally Posted by MrRadic
    Hmm, I would disagree. I see $15/mo a pretty good budget. But it really depends on the type of site you'll wanted hosted. If its something with low CPU/RAM usage then most hosts will easily be able to meet your needs.
    $15 per month is more reasonable than most requests I have been seeing here on WHT for 1000gb bandwidth for under $10 which is absolutely ridiculous.

the $15 is reasonable, however, the 100GB BW is a little off that range, if you can lower the 100GB a bit you should find a decent host
    GS RichCopy 360 Enterprise - Voted #1 for data migration and replication in terms of performance and features. Replicate data across between servers in the same network, WAS, or even across the internet

Thanks for all your answers. So if I lower my specs to:

* 0.5GB Diskspace
    * 25GB BW (+Ability to buy more)
    * 3 addon domains
    * Fast Connection
    * Good uptime
    * Reliable host that preferably has been in business for a relatively long time.

The reason i need a rather high BW is that I run an artist site that uses a reasonable-quality mp3 player.

[QUOTE=WN-Ali]Why do you require low disk space but such a high amount of bandwidth?[QUOTE]

That's a nice question.

Anyway $15/mo for 100GB of bandwidth is an acceptable price (for the oversellers).

You might want to consider a reseller account (resellerzoom goes under $5/mo for 50GB with a budged reseller if i am not wrong).

Best luck.

* 0.5GB Diskspace
    * 25GB BW (+Ability to buy more)
    * 3 addon domains
    With those requirements and the budget you mentioned, you can hope to find a host that doesn't have to oversell in order to make a profit. Not that overselling or not overselling should be the deal breaker when it comes to hosting.

I subscribe to WN-Ali's suggestion. Take the search into your own hands an take any recommendations here as a bonus.

- Make a list of 4-5 web hosts that meet your requirements.
    - Search for reviews on them here on WHT.
    - Test their response timings by contacting each of them.
    I personally think a larger pool of hosts (20+) means higher chances to stumble upon a great host.

edit: i need to learn to read
    Last edited by doc_flabby; 01-23-2007 at 06:54 PM.

At just 25 GB of transfer, the deciding factor will be quickness at the server... and of course just about unfailing uptime.

I like hostNine.com

gotta love those dual-dual opterons!
    The DC is a castle, too, BTW.