Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Vista Ultimate $199 free shipping at newegg.com - OEM

Vista is shipping:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16832116213

Sometimes you have to purchase hardware with OEM... did not see that.... I don't think you get Microsoft support with OEM software either.... (like who cares - does anyone actually call MS?)

Great deal from what I can tell.... any downsides to OEM? I've never had any OEM issues myself.....
    Windows 10 to Linux and Mac OSX: I'm PARSECs better than you. Eat my dust!!!

The main downside is it's against the license agreement for most people to use it unless they really are building a new machine for it to go with. But I'm sure that doesn't stop many people going for OEM over Retail!
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by hekwu

Sometimes you have to purchase hardware with OEM... did not see that....

OEM is allowed to be redistributed to pc assemblers and manufacturers.

I might wait on this version:

http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Wind...TF8&s=software

Quote Originally Posted by Amazon.com
    Signed by Bill Gates himself: Windows Vista Ultimate is Microsoft's powerful new operating system for the home and business user. Thinking of upgrading? Get this limited-availability Signature Edition signed by the world's richest man and own a little piece of history.
    Man it would be a dream to get that!!! Maybe I can hang it off my car's rear view mirror!!! I would stop traffic as everyone looked... being jealous...

Your OEM licence dies when you change your motherboard unless it's a direct replacement for a failed motherboard. Anything else requires a new OEM licence which requires $$.

Quote Originally Posted by carlgm
    Your OEM licence dies when you change your motherboard unless it's a direct replacement for a failed motherboard. Anything else requires a new OEM licence which requires $$.
    Not really... "OEM preloaded systems are activated with a certificate that binds the activation to the computer." (read: preloaded)

Regular OEM does not die if you change computers... that would be a nightmare for MS if that was to happen. Plus, even (some) current preloaded OEM products can move from computer to computer, even if technically against the license agreement. Get an old HP or emachine OEM XP license, it is gold.

I've never had MS reject a license of mine. I doubt if they will start with vista.....

Then again, I've never tried to install the same license on 5 computers at the same time... maybe at different times, but never at the same time. That is why I have so many license and xp CDs laying about... lol....
    Last edited by hekwu; 01-23-2007 at 07:38 AM.

Wrong. The OEM licence does die with the motherboard as it's considered a new PC, the OEM licence is for system builders thus the cheaper price. Please read up on this there is a lot of discussion about this and it was confirmed.

It doesn't matter what you got away with XP, you wont do so with Vista legally.

You are correct, but it will not be "locked" and not work. Everytime I rebuild my computer, I always use parts from the old computer, so no big deal... I've never had any problems.

Actually, the license is the same as OEM XP pro so it is not a matter "what you got away with in xp." LOL.... stop the drama...

Stop the ignorance. The licence is not the same as the OEM XP. The only licence which allows you to transfer your windows install from PC to PC (but only use 1 at a time) is retail.

OEM DOES NOT ALLOW FOR TRANSFER OF LICENCE TO PC'S OR RE-ACTIVIATION FOR ANYTHING OTHER THAN THE SAME COMPUTER.

Please read this for a start: http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/sho...php?t=17682718

Thanks for the link Carl! More concise than posts I've seen on other sites...
    If you have to operate your company behind the scenes or under a fake name, maybe it's time to leave the industry and start something fresh.

Stop the ignorance. The licence is not the same as the OEM XP. The only licence which allows you to transfer your windows install from PC to PC (but only use 1 at a time) is retail.

OEM DOES NOT ALLOW FOR TRANSFER OF LICENCE TO PC'S OR RE-ACTIVIATION FOR ANYTHING OTHER THAN THE SAME COMPUTER.

Please read this for a start: http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/sho...php?t=17682718
    Yes, the last post in that thread sums it up very nicely.... a little "wordy" but it gets the point across nice and clear....

As I've said before, I've dealt with OEM for many, many years... each his own on what they use... but don't attempt to scare people like you have read the OEM license and understand what it says....

Anyway, MS has spoken in the thread you posted and this is what they said:

This is from bit-tech...

Quote:
    Microsoft today talked to bit-tech in a bid to reassure the enthusiast community about the licensing terms of Windows Vista.

We previously read (linked to thread about OEM Vista) that Vista could prove to be a nightmare for enthusiasts who upgrade often, with only one transfer to a new machine allowed and with the license tied to a particular system configuration in a way that was far more limiting than Windows XP.

A Microsoft spokesman from the Licensing Dept told bit-tech that this would not be the case. He told us that Windows Vista will not require a system re-activation unless the hard drive and one other component is changed. This means that enthusiasts will be able to swap CPUs, memory and graphics cards out without any worry about having to re-activate with MS, either on the internet or by phone.

Should you change the hard drive and another piece of hardware - for example for a major upgrade such as a motherboard change that requires a re-installation - Microsoft will allow you to re-activate up to 10 times. You will not, however, be able to have more than one machine activated concurrently.

Should you wish to activate more than 10 times, you could be busted, or Microsoft could choose to let you activate again at its discretion.

For hardcore system enthusiasts, keeping a ghosted, activated copy of Vista with no drivers could be a good way of being able to swap around components and machines with the minimum amount of hassle.

MS are actually being pretty good at the moment at listening and acting on concerns.

The whole OEM thing was a big issue - people buying cheaper OEM licenses, and often re-building their machine. The EULA suggested they could only activate it on a single machine, and if they replaced a 'key component' (taken as the motherboard), a new license would be needed.

MS seem to have clarified it, that OEM preloaded (i.e. what comes with HP/Gateway/Dell/Toshiba etc...) is locked to a single machine, while "OEM retail" (what we can buy from NewEgg and the like) will be allowed to be moved about.

At least, that's what Hexus.net said the other day
    Alasdair
    Long time ex-host, ex-billing software owner/developer/support staff. Recent lurker.

Quote Originally Posted by hekwu
    Yes, the last post in that thread sums it up very nicely.... a little "wordy" but it gets the point across nice and clear....

[b]As I've said before, I've dealt with OEM for many, many years[b]... each his own on what they use... but don't attempt to scare people like you have read the OEM license and understand what it says....
    Please read the quoted thread. Once again, to confirm:

The OEM cannot be used for more than PC and cannot be transfered to another PC. That doesn't mean you cannot upgrade the CPU, memory or graphics but if you switch to a new motherboard that classifies as a "new pc" thus voids your OEM licence.

Retail you can transfer from PC to PC, but only use by 1 PC per 1 licence. It should be noted than Home premium retail does not include the discs for 64bit as advertised by the information on how to obtain the said discs, with relevent postal charges ofcourse.

Your dealings with OEM hardware, which I suppose is suppose you increase you e-peen somewhat I guess? Has no relevence to your understanding of the Vista licence or any legal knowledge you may or may not have. Your comments only show your ignorance, nothing else.

Microsoft has listened somewhat to peoples concerns and thus the above was specified to Retail for people who wish to upgrade their computer without worry of getting a new licence etc.

Edit:
    Just read the latest updates to that thread, going to check with Microsoft rep. They have certainly changed their tune if this really is the case.

Please see: http://www.microsoft.com/singapore/s....aspx#Transfer
    Last edited by carlgm; 01-25-2007 at 05:17 PM.

According to Hexus (http://lifestyle.hexus.net/content/item.php?item=7728) the "retail" OEM versions (i.e. what us average Joe's can buy), according to Hexus, can be moved from machine to machine. It's only the preloaded (HP et al) OEM's that are machine-specific.
    Alasdair
    Long time ex-host, ex-billing software owner/developer/support staff. Recent lurker.

That's wrong, OEM is OEM the only difference is some builders may customise the installs/re-install discs to limit activiation etc.

Please read the quoted thread. Once again, to confirm:

The OEM cannot be used for more than PC and cannot be transfered to another PC. That doesn't mean you cannot upgrade the CPU, memory or graphics but if you switch to a new motherboard that classifies as a "new pc" thus voids your OEM licence.

Retail you can transfer from PC to PC, but only use by 1 PC per 1 licence. It should be noted than Home premium retail does not include the discs for 64bit as advertised by the information on how to obtain the said discs, with relevent postal charges ofcourse.

Your dealings with OEM hardware, which I suppose is suppose you increase you e-peen somewhat I guess? Has no relevence to your understanding of the Vista licence or any legal knowledge you may or may not have. Your comments only show your ignorance, nothing else.

Microsoft has listened somewhat to peoples concerns and thus the above was specified to Retail for people who wish to upgrade their computer without worry of getting a new licence etc.

Edit:
    Just read the latest updates to that thread, going to check with Microsoft rep. They have certainly changed their tune if this really is the case.

Please see: http://www.microsoft.com/singapore/s....aspx#Transfer
    I think you are confused on OEM from say an HP or DELL vs. the OEM purchased by an "enthusiast.” Also, you posted a link to the Singapore license agreement... I'm in america... maybe things are different for you over there....

Guess I’ve hard this argument before over the years, so I’m not surprised. After MS releases Vista everything will calm down and enthusiasts will go on about their work. I just have a hard time believing they would start blocking people from updating PCs.

But I do think MS caused this uproar in the first place by “clarifying” the OEM license. IMO (and only MO) I believe this was done on purpose… they did not want tons of people running out and purchasing the OEM. OEM $200, upgrade $250… most people will pay the extra $50 for the piece of mind. In addition, I believe they also want to stop websites from selling $50 copies of Vista by taking the license off old computers (well, this will be down the road). All of those $50 sales were of OEM CDs from the likes of Dell, HP, etc.

I think everyone should read the post and then make their determination from their own research. I could really give a rats azz what others do… I’ve already installed mine… looks great BTW…. Soon as AMD releases quad-core, I’ll upgrade to the mobo, ram and cpu. Any wagers on if I’ll issues or not?

At the end though, I don't see a big reason to upgrade... unless you need it for testing software (like I do) or some other "must have reason" XP works just fine. I believe my laptop will stay XP.
    Last edited by hekwu; 01-25-2007 at 08:05 PM.

Pre-installed software
    If the software is pre-installed, the software lives and dies with the PC and can never be transferred to another PC
    Full packaged product
    With full packaged product software bought from resellers, you can transfer the software to another PC. As long as it is uninstalled from the first PC and everything is transferred with it (the EULA, the COA, the CD and everything contained in the box). You can transfer the full packaged Product licence outside the organisation, as long as it is transferred complete with discs and documentation and the software is uninstalled from the original PC.
    Which one you do you think Vista OEM would be classed under? Bearing in mind that OEM is intended for system builders and no support or documentation is provided by Microsoft for such licences etc.

You may be legally correct but people do it all the time.

You think Microsoft would be able to lower the cost of Vista. Microsoft made 13 billion dollars in 2006 which is enough to pay every employee of Microsoft a bonus of $182,000.00
    Last edited by macdonaldp; 01-25-2007 at 10:29 PM.

Which one you do you think Vista OEM would be classed under? Bearing in mind that OEM is intended for system builders and no support or documentation is provided by Microsoft for such licences etc.
    All, come on man... MS has already said, as stated before, that we can install on up to 10 computers... what part of that DON'T you understand? Heck, it is stated in the thread that you posted!!!

You simple were wrong and now don't want to admit it....

As I said before, who in the hell actually calls MS for support? LOL... that would get you no place! You are better off on forums or help groups... or, actually, at the hardware or software vendor's site that is causing your issue.

If you actually had an argument this would be fun... you bore me.

Quote Originally Posted by macdonaldp
    You may be legally correct but people do it all the time.

You think Microsoft would be able to lower the cost of Vista. Microsoft made 13 billion dollars in 2006 which is enough to pay every employee of Microsoft a bonus of $182,000.00
    Microsoft will lower their prices only when people start using competing products on a wider scale. Until then, expect Uncle Bill n' friends to keep charging a lot
    If you have to operate your company behind the scenes or under a fake name, maybe it's time to leave the industry and start something fresh.

The re-activation for 10 computer was concerning retail not OEM and was confirmed later to be no limit of re-activation within reason. You can still only use 1 licence on 1 PC.

The fact this isn't even an arguement. You are wrong, I am right - the fact you try to include incorrect information and then try to base your statements on it, makes it therefor incorrect also. You just misunderstand the new policy and the fact it's actually going to be inforced (or at least it should be).

Did you even read the whole thread, ignoring the incorrect post about Microsoft allowing 10 re-activiations which isn't the case as you will also see towards end of the thread.

The re-activation for 10 computer was concerning retail not OEM and was confirmed later to be no limit of re-activation within reason. You can still only use 1 licence on 1 PC.

The fact this isn't even an arguement. You are wrong, I am right - the fact you try to include incorrect information and then try to base your statements on it, makes it therefor incorrect also. You just misunderstand the new policy and the fact it's actually going to be inforced (or at least it should be).

Did you even read the whole thread, ignoring the incorrect post about Microsoft allowing 10 re-activiations which isn't the case as you will also see towards end of the thread.
    Are you still arguing the OEM's we can buy from the likes of newegg can't be moved from machine to machine?
    Last edited by tickedon; 01-26-2007 at 04:36 AM.
    Alasdair

The Vista OEM's you can buy from Newegg and other such places cannot be transfered from machine to machine. It's not about opinion it's about licence. OEM is not a boxed retail version.

Are you unable to read the thread I posted? Or even on the Microsoft site where is shows more information on their EULA. Just because you did it with XP doesn't mean you can therefor do it with Vista.

Quote Originally Posted by tickedon
    According to Hexus (http://lifestyle.hexus.net/content/item.php?item=7728) the "retail" OEM versions (i.e. what us average Joe's can buy), according to Hexus, can be moved from machine to machine. It's only the preloaded (HP et al) OEM's that are machine-specific.
    Yea, OEM builders tie the activation to the BIOS, thus no MOBO replacements.

Although, most of the large manufactures don't do that anymore. Places like HP figured out that they can charge you $10 to $15 for a CD version that is neither tied nor includes all the extra "crap" they put on the shipped machine. I forget the exact wording, but it is something like "full Windows CD." Some of those CDs were even free. That is the CD some sites were selling for $50 a pop.

Vista is fairly fast on my AMD X2 machine... got a 4.7 rating. Everything but my video card had a 4.9, 5, or 5.5 rating. My video card came in at 4.7.

Vista really flies... but I'll have to see how it does after I load ALL my software and start using it day in and day out.... that will be the true test.

I'm just glad all the software I build works under vista... that is a relief....

Looks good. I have been testing for sometime and although some of my older management software may not install, most of it still runs (just need to copy it from xp -> vista). Although vista does have a few quirks and the UAC sometimes makes you want to /wrists when doing lots of installs etc or using anything not signed (yet). Nice idea, for things like that wrong implentation.

Did you get Home Premium, Business or Ultimate?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast