Question Web based game hosting

Hello everyone!

I have been working on a web based game project(I know... looser! But hey... it's all good fun at playing GOD of a small community), and I am looking for some hosting. I have sort of managed to narrow down my list of requirements to this:

1. PHP5
    2. MySQL 5
    3. At least 2 databases
    4. Cronjobs

My other worrie, is that I would have to write the engine in a language that the host will be able to execute. I don't mind writing it in PHP, but I am sure you will all have better solutions! As most of it is maths, with a lot of database accesses I am not quite sure what to write it in. I was thinking either Java (I know....) PHP or C++. But I really do not want to get into C++.

I don't think initial bandwidth is a problem, as there aren't going to be many images, but mainly text, so initial band limit not a problem.

It would also be nice, if they would be capable of growing with me, and let me update through the years into a thriving community!

I would like to know your experiences, and suggestions.

Ciao
    Luca

you didn't list your space or bandwidth requirement.

But given what you did list then most hosts will be able to do that at a very reasonable price.

Again thats hard to say without your space and bandwidth needs.

As far as growing, most host have no problem upgrading your plan and thats just a matter of a few clicks not a full site move. Unless your resource heavy and need a dedicated solution which i don't see you needing.

As far as code, i suggest php. I use to run a few mud game's in php (yes i was too a looser LOL)
    - Steve D
    SERVBoston: Hosting since 2003
    Shared, Reseller, VPS.
    Top Notch Support from a veteran hosting company!

Are you implying Luca's a loser too?

Steve is right. Most host can offer what you require but if you're looking for recommendations, you should include some numbers as well. (budget, space/bw)
    ServerTag Technologies - Everything you need for hosting activity
    A Canadian company providing top notch site hosting, servers and colocation services

Hello guys!

Right... I am looking at a website that will have around 300 users within the first month, the db at the moment has around 15 tables, and will probaly reach the 20ies and beyond. I plan (wish) to be above 5000 users within the first year, and if the site picks up it shold grow exponentially. I have a couple of "marketing schemes" that will boost hopefully a couple of thousands of users at least in a very short space of time. In the long run (hopefully two - three years) I would like to boost 50 thousand. But that is looking way too far ahead (and probably having too much high expectations... but you've got to aim high!)!

Regarding budget, hopefully the site will start becoming self funded, so the usual... starting with low badget but possibility to expand.

Regarding space.... my webpages will be fairly small, not much pictures, but a big DB(hopefully! ).

As for Bandwidth... I don't know, but I would have thought around 10G to start with but with the possibility to make it unlimited.

Thanks again for the help! It would be great to know which ones to avoid too! Not just some good hosting solutions!

Ciao
    Luca
    P.S. I am based in €urope... not sure that makes much of a difference!
    Last edited by Pass1; 01-22-2007 at 03:02 PM.

A shared account should be sufficient for your needs FOR NOW

Also, are you particular about where your provider keeps their servers?
    ServerTag Technologies - Everything you need for hosting activity
    A Canadian company providing top notch site hosting, servers and colocation services

Quote Originally Posted by sTag-Dan
    A shared account should be sufficient for your needs FOR NOW

Also, are you particular about where your provider keeps their servers?
    Well, most users will access the site from Italy, and possibly England. But how much of a difference will that make?

(please treat me as the newbie I am!)

Ciao
    Luca

Quote Originally Posted by Pass1
    Well, most users will access the site from Italy, and possibly England. But how much of a difference will that make?

Ciao
    Luca

Honestly not that much.
    - Steve D
    Shared, Reseller, VPS.

to put it simply. the closer the server is to the user, the faster the response time will be for your users. This is because there is less distance for the data to travel.

It can make a difference if you are hosting for example on west coast america or japan and all your users are in europe.

Quote Originally Posted by doc_flabby
    to put it simply. the closer the server is to the user, the faster the response time will be for your users. This is because there is less distance for the data to travel.

It can make a difference if you are hosting for example on west coast america or japan and all your users are in europe.
    Yes of course... but if I can save 5$ a month, and the users get an extra 5ms delay in displaying the page... that makes me 55$ a year less poor and no changes to the user experience.

BUT... if takes a second more... then... that might well make a difference between a "Hello! This is good... I might register" or... "Oh.. this is taking so long... I have better ways to spend my life".

Obviously I need to find something in between.. but only you guys can tell me from experience.

Ciao
    Luca

some hosts offer free trials, you can test that way.

Some offer speed tests. you could also test this way.
    - Steve D
    Shared, Reseller, VPS.

Quote Originally Posted by Pass1

Ciao
    Luca
    Hi Luca,

As others have already pointed out, because you aren't using many images/downloads, etc. the difference would be minimal (hosting in the US as opposed to hosting in Europe). Check out a few websites similar to the one you plan on building that are hosted in the US and see if you have any problems loading the sites, playing the game, etc. You probably wont, and that is likely because the difference simply isn't significant by any means. Now, if you required a low-latency solution, hosting your sites/servers in Europe would be necessary.

With that being said, I think it would be important for you, as you mentioned, to ultimately go with a company that you can "grow with". If your site "makes it" and gains popularity, you are really going to need to eventually upgrade to your own VPS or server. You could realistically start with an affordable shared hosting provider, and look to expand in the future.

There are nearly limitless hosts that can claim to offer you exactly what you are looking for... I'd recommend doing a few google searches, scanning over these forums, and compiling a list of company names that you feel comfortable with. Once you have a few names to work with, research each company individually and determine whether or not they would be able to satisfy your requirements. I always recommend taking the time to contact each host directly -- interaction with their staff (even just the sales team) will help you get a better feel for their service standards.

Good luck!
    Thanks,

Brendan Diaz
    Connect: linkedin.com/in/brendandiaz

Quote Originally Posted by Brendan Diaz
    Hi Luca,

As others have already pointed out, because you aren't using many images/downloads, etc. the difference would be minimal (hosting in the US as opposed to hosting in Europe).
    The number of images/downlaods is not the problem. I've played a number of web based games. In most games you are forever clicking between pages. Which means low latency is more important than would be for other sites.

If you are hosting large download the ping time isnt very important. As latency isnt noticable. If you hosted this site on for example west coast usa you would definatly notice the effect as each page would have appox 0.2 second lag to you clicking and the server recieving the request - then there is time for server response + page processing - then the page has to be send back to you. This is assuming all your users are on a good connections, if some are on 56k (yes some people still use it) it is even more noticable.

East Coast USA or European servers would serve you well. Personally i would consider West Coast USA unsuitible. Standard Speed tests won't be able to give you a good idea of latency. They just give you an idea of bandwidth not latency.

Quote Originally Posted by doc_flabby
    The number of images/downlaods is not the problem. I've played a number of web based games. In most games you are forever clicking between pages. Which means low latency is more important than would be for other sites.

If you are hosting large download the ping time isnt very important. As latency isnt noticable. If you hosted this site on for example west coast usa you would definatly notice the effect as each page would have appox 0.2 second lag to you clicking and the server recieving the request - then there is time for server response + page processing - then the page has to be send back to you. This is assuming all your users are on a good connections, if some are on 56k (yes some people still use it) it is even more noticable.

East Coast USA or European servers would serve you well. Personally i would consider West Coast USA unsuitible. Standard Speed tests won't be able to give you a good idea of latency. They just give you an idea of bandwidth not latency.
    I can't believe I overlooked that! Of course I need low latency... I can't believe how much of a newbie I am.

I have had a look around a few hosting solutions lately... and emailed the teams with questions. All of them have replied within 24 hours (given the time difference of where I am... I think I was mailing them in the middle of the night... so no big deal for me really).

I was having a look at Media Temple... and read that they will be upgrading (or fixing.. not sure which term I would use) their gs. As I won't be doing much before the summer... do you think this would be a wise move?

This is because scripts that I need to run weekly, will require intense processing for no longer than 15minutes... but they need to run in that time. I cannot afford them to run slower. So I thought having the opportunity to have performace peeks when I need them appealing.

Or do you just think I should keep away

Thanks
    Luca

Hello Luca,

When choosing a webhoster check these things:

- if you decide to go with java maybe you should know that it can be really heavy on the server

- php works ok for that sort of usage, just be sure that the script is well coded to avoid high cpu usage

- ask for the number of concurrent sql connections. If your site becomes popular it could become a problem

Good luck! Some years ago I thought about doing something similar, but decided that it wouldn't be worth the trouble (a big one)
    Around two decades of web marketing experience & millions of visitors.
    NunoAlex.com explains my expertise & how I can help you.
    Contact me!

Hi Affiliate,

Thanks for the tips! What game did you have in mind?

I am hoping to start making money from it (offering premium services) and thereforehoping it might be able to sustain itself (more users = more money = more money to pour into the hardware). If it becomes as popular as I think it might... then it might become my job!

Ciao
    Luca

Hello Luca!

Something like http://www.kingsofchaos.com/ but with characters created by me. But when I investigated the problem that was managing such a giant endeavour, I dedicated myself to smaller projects
    Around two decades of web marketing experience & millions of visitors.
    NunoAlex.com explains my expertise & how I can help you.
    Contact me!