Can I host multiple domains on a dedicated server?

I want to know if I can host multiple domains on a dedicated server just like a reseller host.

And what's the difference between vps and a dedicated server?
      0 Not allowed!

Yes you can host multiple domains.

A VPS is a Virtual Private Server. You essentially get an allotted amount of resources on a server, say 25%. You get 25% of memory, CPU Usage, hard drive space etc. It all depends on the host but thats essentially it. You share the dedicated server with several people but you get your own root access. Dedicated is just that, its your server to do whatever with, no sharing or anything.
    www.mile33.com - Professional Web Design and Hosting Services
      0 Not allowed!

* Share the VPS

I think you meant to say you share the VPS. The dedicated server is not shared.
      0 Not allowed!

Exactly, I know what I meant, you knew what I meant, it just didn't come out right
    www.mile33.com - Professional Web Design and Hosting Services
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by squeakyclean
    Exactly, I know what I meant, you knew what I meant, it just didn't come out right

You mean it wasn't Squeakyclean?
    My IP >> 127.0.0.1 Hack Away!!
      0 Not allowed!

Hello Lordg, Just FYI...

You can setup multiple domains on Dedicated Server, VPS or even on most of the shared hosting plans.
      0 Not allowed!

Ok, I checked out some of the dedicated servers on LayeredTech.com and I see no support for PHP and MySQL?

What's the deal here. I need a server with PHP and MySQL. Do they have it and decided not to list them?

Also I didn't know they would charge extra for cPanel.

What operating system would be best? Because I wouldn't know whether to choose CentOS, FreeBSD, OpenBSD or Fedora Core

Anyone know another good dedicated server provider besides LayeredTech?

I really just want a server with cPanel, PHP5 and MySQL. I made a website which is similar in style with Digg.com. Should I even start off with a dedicated server? or should I start off with something cheaper like a reseller host, which I already have...
    Last edited by lordg; 01-22-2007 at 07:06 PM.
      0 Not allowed!

You have to install PHP/MySQL and all that shiz..
    hosted by HawkHost
    I Recommend: LimeStone Networks!
    The OverSeller Defender!
      0 Not allowed!

is it hard to install all those things?
      0 Not allowed!

Not really.
    I belive you can get a managment company to install them for you.

Platinum Server Managment is praised here.
    hosted by HawkHost
    I Recommend: LimeStone Networks!
    The OverSeller Defender!
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by lordg
    Anyone know another good dedicated server provider besides LayeredTech?
    Make sure you go with a managed server provider, or budget to hire a management company like Rack911 or Platinum Server Management if you go with an unmanaged provider like LayeredTech. Server management isn't necessarily difficult, but it's a skill that needs to be developed. If you are unfamiliar with the nuances of server management it is easy to get overwhelmed in a hurry.
    Eric Spaeth
    Enterprise Network Engineer :: Hosting Hobbyist :: Master of Procrastination
    "The really cool thing about facts is they remain true regardless of who states them."
      0 Not allowed!

Hello Lordg,

Don't complicate your life, it seems that you are just starting with the website. This is what I suggest.

Go to www.liquidweb.com get a managed VPS, they will take care of all the server admin, it comes with cPanel, PHP, MySQL and I believe everything you need. They have phone support and I'm sure will help you uploaded the site and installing. VPS is way cheaper than a dedicated server so it will save you some money.

Once the site starts growing you can simply contact them again and asked to be moved to a dedicated server.

I don't recommend to have a server and then an outside company to do the management, outsiders don't have access to the server and if something happens many times they blame the data centre and the data centre will blame them... so is better to go with the source.

Good luck.
    Jorge Campos | WBpro
    Web Building Professionals
    www.wbpro.com
      0 Not allowed!

Ok thanks, I guess I'll got with a VPS first
    Last edited by lordg; 01-22-2007 at 09:03 PM.
      0 Not allowed!